Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorsVictim wrote: View Post
    Let us confess that Casey is unable to use JV in the proper way. JV is a talented center, but the whole team is designed for both Derozan and Lowery. If we stay like that, even the addition of Ibaka will not save us in the playoff. Casey must go.
    lewro wrote: View Post
    The people that voted for Lowery to be in the ASG were wise and falsely ridiculed.
    Lowry. Not hard.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      We can stop pretending that there is anything JV can do to get playing time, right? Or the ball. We can set that narrative aside now. It is not up to him or his performance.
      been that way for years

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Then you keep him. He's not "must trade", there is other options. I don't dump him for anything less than unprotected first or good prospect. Period
        There is that large tax looming.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
          We have absolutely tanked his trade value.

At the start of the season I really felt like he could be a part of a package to get a star player. Now I feel like he's going to be valued around what Nurkic was.
          Let's not forget the return we received for Bargs. Also, you might have been a bit off in your feeling that JV could have returned a star player.

Comment

• I thought JV played well last night and deserved more time. I think it's clear that in order to get more minutes he needs to string together a few games of consistent strong performance.

Since the all star break his def rating is 115 and net rating -11. This is without Siakam bringing him down.
            2 nights ago against Washington his def rating was 149 and his net rating was-62. The game before that 136/-44.
            Clearly, Casey remembers this and is holding it against him, even if he plays well to start a game like last night. Doesn't matter if you're 5/5 from the field.

If JV can put together a few games like the Milwaukee games then he should be on his way to earning more minutes. If he follows it up with a dud every 2nd game status quo will continue.

It's not like he's getting subbed out anymore for a player like Nogueria who has equally weak stats. JV has earned his short leash.

Now, if the argument is that Casey holds JV to a shorter leash than other players who are also inconsistent then I would completely agree.

Comment

• Casey definitely needs to go. JV has Marc Gasol Potential but Casey is fucking up his development. They use JV as a scapegoat on defense, but its not always his fault. Also without him out there we can't close defensive possessions anyway so whats the point of benching him? He grabs the most boards out of anyone on the team, despite playing less than 30 mins a game lol

Comment

• It's so simple right now, there should be more DD/JV p'n'r action and more JV with the bench. Every game the offence falls off a cliff at some point during the first 3 quarters and the Raps go down double digits, this isn't even about the 4th quarter or about the losses, it's an ongoing struggle to generate offence with Lowry out and Delon/Powell/Tucker/PP/Poeltl-types of bench lineups do not help at all.

I hear the "got to earn the opportunities" criticisms and JV has had some pretty low impact minutes lately, but the only other guys who get their minutes/opportunities yanked around like him are 3rd stringers. It certainly doesn't happen to the other 4 starters or to the first couple guys off the bench. CoJo and Carroll have gone months at a time underperforming their roles, it doesn't affect their minutes or opportunities.

I'm okay with the 4th quarters, they're working, but there are offensive issues during the other three quarters and JV is a guy who's sitting on the bench who's a potential solution. It's really that simple for me.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I think everyone has a solid point in this debate.

On the negative JV doesn't fit the style of play that the team (including Masai) wants to run. Can't really say they don't know what they are doing given success of last few years.

On the positive JV he isn't used to his strengths and certainly is a solution for many of teams problems (lack of scoring in second unit especially with Lowry out and lack of rebounding/closing possessions).

I feel the writing is on the wall regarding his future with the team given the looming tax bill.

By the way, put me in the play JV more and to his strengths camp. Job of coaches is to maximize the talent of the roster. Too many examples of players leaving only to find a coach who utilizes their skills (Gay, Lou, JJ). Coaches need to be flexible too.

Comment

• Odin wrote: View Post
                    I think everyone has a solid point in this debate.

On the negative JV doesn't fit the style of play that the team (including Masai) wants to run. Can't really say they don't know what they are doing given success of last few years.

On the positive JV he isn't used to his strengths and certainly is a solution for many of teams problems (lack of scoring in second unit especially with Lowry out and lack of rebounding/closing possessions).

I feel the writing is on the wall regarding his future with the team given the looming tax bill.

By the way, put me in the play JV more and to his strengths camp. Job of coaches is to maximize the talent of the roster. Too many examples of players leaving only to find a coach who utilizes their skills (Gay, Lou, JJ). Coaches need to be flexible too.
                    Well put.

For me - Casey limits JV's minutes because Casey knows he can get good production out of JV in usually comparable matchup (most teams still starting a 7-footer at the 5)- 12 & 10 in those minutes is a testament to perhaps the both of them (remember Casey has also gotten great production on a per-minute basis out of Ed Davis and Psycho-T). At the same time, Casey also wants to maximize the time playing more fully-mobile - either able to counter another team's smallball, or attempting to run up the score with his own.

Lately he's had to play from behind and by getting back to basics defensively. He's gritted out some wins, but JV did get short shrift. However, I think we've seen enough from the Casey-Jonas dynamic is that JV's production will come through in the end- he's being put through a learning curve and you have to hope that both JV and the team will come out better for it as he's fresh and hungry for the playoffs.

After all, he's still the starting centre for a very good basketball team, averaging almost a double double. His physicality should have more impact - and fewer calls against - in the playoffs with Lowry back. It's not all bad stuff from either party.

Comment

• Big test for JV and Ibaka today. Tough match up.

Comment

• JV is doing great so far tonight against boogie and AD. That first play in the second half when he was in a stance at the 3 point line defending boogie was awesome

Comment

• Casey is the issue with this team. He is not a good head coach. Little understanding how to manage a team. JV is an above centre in this league. If he gets fouled he can hit his free throws.
                          You work the ball in the middle and allow more spacing for the sg and pg. This small ball is not going to win a title unless you have Curry and Thompson.

Comment

• wictory baby

OG is our king

Comment

• Great work JV!

Comment

• Playoffs JV. That's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X