Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Well Ibaka actually covers the lane when JV has to hedge/help out far, so he can properly recover and rotations don't fall apart.

And every unit with Tucker out there is usually better because it usually means Carroll is sitting. With Siakam out of the rotation, Carroll has become our worst defender most nights. He's practically a worse shooting Steve Novak at this point.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Agreed, thought I think/hope that Carroll is going to pick it up in time for the playoffs.

Regarding JV, I think having Ibaka and Tucker around is great for his growth and confidence as a player. Too often this year he's been tasked as the lone defensive anchor for this team, and it's worn him down. It's how adding Kevin Garnett to the Celtics sort of made everyone else on that team a bit of a punk...but raise their level of play. I'm hoping that Ibaka/Tucker have the same effect on JV. There would be no team in the league more physical that the Raptors if they brought that out of JV.

Comment

• I love how people keep hoping carroll will just flick a switch for playoffs. He is what he is. His only substantial years in the nba were 2 years playing with 4 all stars in an efficient offense, he just took wide open 3s.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I love how people keep hoping carroll will just flick a switch for playoffs. He is what he is. His only substantial years in the nba were 2 years playing with 4 all stars in an efficient offense, he just took wide open 3s.
        When Lowry gets back it will be a similar situation. It's party time!!

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I love how people keep hoping carroll will just flick a switch for playoffs. He is what he is. His only substantial years in the nba were 2 years playing with 4 all stars in an efficient offense, he just took wide open 3s.
          Good thing that's pretty close to what we want from him too.

I doubt there will be any switch flipping. But it's not like he's been terrible lately. The same truth holds for him now as ever. He shoots the ball, he's fine. He dribbles, the world ends. It's on Casey IMO to tell him to cut that crap out. He's hit 39% of his threes (4.5 attempts per game) over the past 10 games.

That said, Tucker should be starting and Carroll should be dumped in the off-season. But he should be able to contribute in the spring if he just maintains his shooting.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I doubt there will be any switch flipping. But it's not like he's been terrible lately. The same truth holds for him now as ever. He shoots the ball, he's fine. He dribbles, the world ends. It's on Casey IMO to tell him to cut that crap out. He's hit 39% of his threes (4.5 attempts per game) over the past 10 games.

That said, Tucker should be starting and Carroll should be dumped in the off-season. But he should be able to contribute in the spring if he just maintains his shooting.
            So my "worse shooting Steve Novak" comparison is pretty close to the truth then it seems....

Comment

Dribble apparently no, but when he first joined I remember how well he cut through the lane and made himself available for easy points near the rim. Sort of how Feilds was when he was healthy. Whether it's by design of the offence he hasn't done as much of that, but would be nice to add that to his game again

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                Dribble apparently no, but when he first joined I remember how well he cut through the lane and made himself available for easy points near the rim. Sort of how Feilds was when he was healthy. Whether it's by design of the offence he hasn't done as much of that, but would be nice to add that to his game again
                "If only he could be more like landry field"

...is something none of us wanted to say read or hear about this guy

Comment

So my "worse shooting Steve Novak" comparison is pretty close to the truth then it seems....

Well, Carroll is a decent (not great, but not terrible) defender, while Novak would be on the list of all time worst Raptors defenders. That's a pretty big difference. Of course, so is their salary...
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well Ibaka actually covers the lane when JV has to hedge/help out far, so he can properly recover and rotations don't fall apart.

And every unit with Tucker out there is usually better because it usually means Carroll is sitting. With Siakam out of the rotation, Carroll has become our worst defender most nights. He's practically a worse shooting Steve Novak at this point.

yeah Ibaka compared to Siakam (i.e. "actually rotates" vs. "has no idea wtf he's doing") is a major factor in why JV has been able to do what he's done lately. Now, he's also just straight playing harder on that end, too, but the biggest issue on this team has always been the rotations on defence.

Comment

Well, Carroll is a decent (not great, but not terrible) defender, while Novak would be on the list of all time worst Raptors defenders. That's a pretty big difference. Of course, so is their salary...
                      I don't think I'd call his D decent. Carroll has been...not good. He can't keep in front of his man and is frequently lost on team D in terms of his coverages. Now maybe this is all tied in to physical issues, but that's not really encouraging.

Key issue here is we paid Carroll to be our best perimeter defender, and he's arguably our worst. I could live with him letting his man back-cut on him every game if he at least was locking guys down on the ball, or his team D wasn't so generally bad...but yeah, at best I can describe his D as below average overall.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        yeah Ibaka compared to Siakam (i.e. "actually rotates" vs. "has no idea wtf he's doing") is a major factor in why JV has been able to do what he's done lately. Now, he's also just straight playing harder on that end, too, but the biggest issue on this team has always been the rotations on defence.
                        It also helps that Demar's D has picked up so we're getting better rotations from him as well. Sad that a role player soon-to-be UFA had to challenge him instead of our "defensive minded" coach.

Comment

I don't think I'd call his D decent. Carroll has been...not good. He can't keep in front of his man and is frequently lost on team D in terms of his coverages. Now maybe this is all tied in to physical issues, but that's not really encouraging.

Key issue here is we paid Carroll to be our best perimeter defender, and he's arguably our worst. I could live with him letting his man back-cut on him every game if he at least was locking guys down on the ball, or his team D wasn't so generally bad...but yeah, at best I can describe his D as below average overall.

Carroll is arguably our worst perimeter defender? Tucker is fantastic, sure. But in no universe is Carroll a worse defender than DeMar. Lowry is great when he wants to be but that isn't exactly all the time. And Powell, love the guy, is as hit and miss as anyone.

Carroll's no stopper like we want him to be, but he's not a liability either. When his shot is off (like after his mid-season injury), or he comes up with the brilliant plan to dribble, he's a real liability offensively. But he gets beat on back cuts and forgets to box out about as much as everyone else this side of PJ Tucker does. It's just more noticeable with him because he's supposed to be a defensive player - when he's really just a shooter who has the size to actually defend the three in a mediocre fashion.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I just wish someone would teach JV a bank shot. Every time he shoots a midrange jumper, I can't help but think how deadly he would be if he had Tim Duncan's banker.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                              I just wish someone would teach JV a bank shot. Every time he shoots a midrange jumper, I can't help but think how deadly he would be if he had Tim Duncan's banker.
                              Bank shots are more for baseline jumpers, valanciunas takes almost exclusively elbow or straight away jumpers. Thought I do agree the kiss off the glass at a tighter angle is an effective shot

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                                I just wish someone would teach JV a bank shot. Every time he shoots a midrange jumper, I can't help but think how deadly he would be if he had Tim Duncan's banker.
                                JV has shot 49% on catch and shoot midrange jumpers this year. He's shot more poorly on turnaround jumpers, but he takes those far less often (and should take them none, if possible).

Over Duncan's last three years in the league (the tracking data only goes back that far), he never managed over 40% on catch and shoot midrange jumpers. His career average FG% from midrange was 40% (basically identical, maybe slightly worse, than JV's career percentage thus far).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X