Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's sad but true. Jonas hasn't been able to score very well in the post this post season. He seems to be in a rush, he has such a size advantage he should just stick to the baby hook or fadeaway because no one can stop him from getting this shot off. He needs to be more decisive.

    Comment


    • Yea, he pretty much has no role in this series.

      Btw, what has happened to his offensive rebounding? I can't remember the last time I saw him get an oreb.
      "Stay steamy"

      - Kobe

      Comment


      • Remember back when "playoff Jonas" was a thing?

        Those were the days...

        Comment


        • Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Remember back when "playoff Jonas" was a thing?

          Those were the days...
          Just like the "13 games Bargnani".
          "Stay steamy"

          - Kobe

          Comment


          • hotfuzz wrote: View Post
            Just like the "13 games Bargnani".
            Ya, seemed like simply taking advantage of favourable matchups in Turner (rookie) and Whiteside (supremely overrated).

            Now I'm starting to wonder if the Raps even win 2 games vs. Cavs if Jonas didn't roll his ankle, lol.

            Comment


            • Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Remember back when "playoff Jonas" was a thing?

              Those were the days...
              yeah you couldn't criticize his game without somebody going "playoff Jonas" "that 8 playoff games Jonas"
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

              Comment


              • They have to move the guy in the offseason. Unless they still think he can be a good offensive player. I mean, he still doesn't know how to post up. Very awkward in the post. Last night he was a completw disaster. He still doesn't know what to do when he gets double teamed.

                I would bench him in this series
                Is this the dagger!!!?

                Comment


                • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Ya, seemed like simply taking advantage of favourable matchups in Turner (rookie) and Whiteside (supremely overrated).

                  Now I'm starting to wonder if the Raps even win 2 games vs. Cavs if Jonas didn't roll his ankle, lol.
                  I think Whiteside is overrated and also his legs were toast by the end of last season. I think he burnt himself out trying to get paid.
                  I also think Turner is a bit overrated. He was a bit overlooked in the draft so when he turned out to be a good player then his value went up.
                  All yr long the JV fan boys have been beating the playoff drum. I hope JV can step up. I'm still not convinced that he has to go in the offseason but I'm not dismissing the idea either.

                  Comment


                  • Wasn't JV touted as a defense first player when he was being drafted? Does anyone think it was the extra bulk we asked him to put on that hurt that? I'm just wondering if he dedicated his summer to dropping weight (while staying strong) he could improve. Pao Gasol made that adjustment as he got older and it helped him. I'm pretty sure Duncan did the same.

                    Comment


                    • BrydenB wrote: View Post
                      Wasn't JV touted as a defense first player when he was being drafted? Does anyone think it was the extra bulk we asked him to put on that hurt that? I'm just wondering if he dedicated his summer to dropping weight (while staying strong) he could improve. Pao Gasol made that adjustment as he got older and it helped him. I'm pretty sure Duncan did the same.
                      Nah, he was always a PnR offence, rebounding, high energy player. Some rim protection upside, but his defence was not his strong suit.

                      I do think he could be a better defender if he sheds a little strength and mass for quickness, but I don't know how easy/achievable that is.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

                      Comment


                      • BrydenB wrote: View Post
                        Wasn't JV touted as a defense first player when he was being drafted? Does anyone think it was the extra bulk we asked him to put on that hurt that? I'm just wondering if he dedicated his summer to dropping weight (while staying strong) he could improve. Pao Gasol made that adjustment as he got older and it helped him. I'm pretty sure Duncan did the same.
                        He had mobility and a great roll game, for sure. The Raptors have sucked at hitting the roll man since Jose left, though. JV worked instead on bulk and a post game, which was probably entirely the wrong direction to take his development.

                        JV is an incidental issue, imho. Three things that are more important:
                        - The Raptors' core star talent is just not at a level to compete with contenders in the playoffs
                        - The Raptors' system is all wrong for competing with contenders in 2017 - GS and HOU would also be raining 3's on them like this
                        - There is some core heart/belief/fight issue at the core of this team, I suspect it may be related to guys knowing that the above two points are true - they don't on a gut level believe they have a coach, system, or core talent to compete with playoff-mode Lebron - concerning comments about the coaching and the system they run have always come up during low points in the season or playoffs, from key players - I think it goes back to the Washington sweep
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          Nah, he was always a PnR offence, rebounding, high energy player. Some rim protection upside, but his defence was not his strong suit.

                          I do think he could be a better defender if he sheds a little strength and mass for quickness, but I don't know how easy/achievable that is.
                          Ideally; that's what he works on this summer. Giving up some strength for quickness. It might even help open up some more options for him in the post if he can get it to the right mix.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                          Comment


                          • BrydenB wrote: View Post
                            Wasn't JV touted as a defense first player when he was being drafted? Does anyone think it was the extra bulk we asked him to put on that hurt that? I'm just wondering if he dedicated his summer to dropping weight (while staying strong) he could improve. Pao Gasol made that adjustment as he got older and it helped him. I'm pretty sure Duncan did the same.
                            Gasol dropped major weight? I'm pretty sure he and Duncan both just moved to the 5 from the 4.

                            There are guys bigger (mass) than JV that are better than him at contesting on the perimeter - M. Gasol, Gortat, etc. His feet just aren't that quick and it's not the type of movement he's accustomed to. Any type of improvement from shedding weight is going to be pretty marginal (though I'll take it), and could probably be surpassed by drilling him on perimeter stance and closeouts.

                            You want all your players to be as fit as humanly possible, and JV is no exception. But that he's some bulked up behemoth now is Raptors-mythologizing at work

                            Comment


                            • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Gasol dropped major weight? I'm pretty sure he and Duncan both just moved to the 5 from the 4.

                              There are guys bigger (mass) than JV that are better than him at contesting on the perimeter - M. Gasol, Gortat, etc. His feet just aren't that quick and it's not the type of movement he's accustomed to. Any type of improvement from shedding weight is going to be pretty marginal (though I'll take it), and could probably be surpassed by drilling him on perimeter stance and closeouts.

                              You want all your players to be as fit as humanly possible, and JV is no exception. But that he's some bulked up behemoth now is Raptors-mythologizing at work
                              Agreed. I'm not convinced that his weight is slowing him down. I think we're talking about a genetic limitation. Some folks just lack the requisite fast-twitch muscle fibres for explosive movements. I mean, it's not like he was lighting quick as a rook.

                              Comment


                              • I don't think it's his weight, it's his IQ. The fact he still pump fakes 5 times before making a move is indication of hesitancy and not knowing the best play to make. He's not quick enough with his reads, seeing the floor etc. Sure the weight or lack of helps, but more so would be if he was able to identify the best play to make at any given time so he could be assertive and quick. And that's on both ends of the court.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X