Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    Everyone is going on about weight, but I assumed this was 'would could have been' if we passed him the ball.
    You mean as he's rolling to the basket???

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Comment

• Let it be noted yet again that choosing Casey over JV is going to prove to be one of the worst decisions this franchise has ever made.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Let it be noted yet again that choosing Casey over JV is going to prove to be one of the worst decisions this franchise has ever made.
        So did you ever bet real money JV would be an allstar?
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          So did you ever bet real money JV would be an allstar?
          No, but I also thought Casey would be fired after the Nets loss and then for sure after the Wizards sweep.

I didn't expect the guy who created Fat Rudy and Lumbering JV, who wanted Kyle to play like Jose, who nailed JJ to the bench only for him to miraculously blossom in Miami, the guy under whom both Joseph and Carroll both saw mysterious regression in their advanced stats, the guy under whom our last four first round picks have played fewer *career* minutes COMBINED than Brandon Ingram did last year.... I didn't expect that guy to be steering our ship to this day.

Maybe I was wrong about JV's ceiling. But that doesn't mean he wasn't thoroughly mismanaged while he was here.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            No, but I also thought Casey would be fired after the Nets loss and then for sure after the Wizards sweep.

I didn't expect the guy who created Fat Rudy and Lumbering JV, who wanted Kyle to play like Jose, who nailed JJ to the bench only for him to miraculously blossom in Miami, the guy under whom both Joseph and Carroll both saw mysterious regression in their advanced stats, the guy under whom our last four first round picks have played fewer *career* minutes COMBINED than Brandon Ingram did last year.... I didn't expect that guy to be steering our ship to this day.

Maybe I was wrong about JV's ceiling. But that doesn't mean he wasn't thoroughly mismanaged while he was here.
            I'm going to take a wild guy and say Masai disagrees with all this
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Everyone is going on about weight, but I assumed this was 'would could have been' if we passed him the ball.

Raps were all over JV to bulk up and only bulk up. So they kinda screwed up JV a bit in his 2nd season. Quickly fixed the mistake in the next off season tho.

Comment

• I wonder how much JV could change his game in the period since the last playoff game and the start of training camp? He has had most of May, all of June and now has July, August, and until September 28th. Call it 4 1/2 months. He has shown a decent midrange shot. He hits 3's in practice at a decent clip. He could lose 12 - 15 pounds without hurting his strength too much. Can he increase his lateral speed incrementally? Can he lose the pump fake and get his shot off a second quicker? Can he work on hedging and recovering?

I think he only needs to make small changes to his game to significantly improve. Is it possible? Maybe he isn't bright enough to watch video, have someone point out his mistakes, and then work to improve them... but I find that hard to believe. I'm 66 and in the last two years I've added a left handed hook, a turn around jumper, and a significant improvement in my lateral mobility and quickness (I recognize I've started from a much lower level) and I've been playing recreational ball for over 30 years. I did this with a total of a total of a couple of hundred practice hours spread over those two years.

I think anyone athletic enough to be one of the top 50 centers in the world can make significant changes to their game, given the training, advice and professional help available.

Casey and the Raptors training staff have failed hugely in this regard. They initially developed him in the wrong direction, and then have not provided the correct assistance. Bringing in Sikma, a traditional center, to work with JV when they wanted a more mobile stretch type player didn't make sense. And more to the point, using JV in a role that negated his natural abilities, while doing nothing to take advantage of them has been simply stupid.

Comment

• I think we're over-emphasizing the effect of Jonas' weight gain. Almost all young players end up adding weight/muscle (by design) once entering the league, and almost NONE of them end up as slow as sloths afterwards. Jonas is unique in this sense, probably because he wasn't very fast to begin with.

And combine the slow reaction speed, with his somewhat poor defensive instincts, and you end up with a player who's outdated in today's NBA, with a coach who after 5 years, still doesn't trust him.

Jonas might thrive in a "7 seconds or less" type offense, but most teams can't pull that off. He is what he is.

Comment

• His IQ and vision is lacking as well.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I think we're over-emphasizing the effect of Jonas' weight gain. Almost all young players end up adding weight/muscle (by design) once entering the league, and almost NONE of them end up as slow as sloths afterwards. Jonas is unique in this sense, probably because he wasn't very fast to begin with.

And combine the slow reaction speed, with his somewhat poor defensive instincts, and you end up with a player who's outdated in today's NBA, with a coach who after 5 years, still doesn't trust him.

Jonas might thrive in a "7 seconds or less" type offense, but most teams can't pull that off. He is what he is.
                      I disagree. When I posted pic of newly big JV, I said he looked great but I don't like it. You could clearly see that he was on a junk food diet. Not sure if that was JV's fault or Raps but this should never have happened. If you want basketball player to bulk up, it must be done as cleanly as possible. That first offseason put JV out of whack imo.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                        His IQ and vision is lacking as well.
                        Jonas "awkward" Valanciunas

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          I disagree. When I posted pic of newly big JV, I said he looked great but I don't like it. You could clearly see that he was on a junk food diet. Not sure if that was JV's fault or Raps but this should never have happened. If you want basketball player to bulk up, it must be done as cleanly as possible. That first offseason put JV out of whack imo.
                          Remember the story a yr and a half ago about JV giving up sweets and pastries, which kinda means those were helping him bulk up (and not in a good way) prior. He also drank beer, how much and how often only he knows. He's no Sullinger eating himself out of the league, but how much his lack of quickness is on the raptors org, how much is on his own habits and how much simply on genetics is pure speculation.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Is JV in Lithuania this summer?

My impression is that internationl play isn't helping his development. I'd like to see him working on his foot speed all summer, hanging out with a skipping rope and a personal trainer. Going to an international tournament where he plays like a traditional 5 is probably not the best use of his time.

If his trade value is weak maybe the best course is to work on his foot speed all summer

Comment

• People need to stop blaming JV's physical deficiencies on the team. DeRozan was asked to bulk up and he did, except he actually ate a good diet and trained properly so he maintained his lean physique while adding a lot of muscle to it. Even someone like Enes Kanter bulked up but maintained a lean physique as well. JV must've done a poor job controlling his diet and training correctly, so he added weight but a lot of it just seems to be fat, so he's slowed himself down.

it's a lack of dedication and focus to keeping his body in the absolute best shape. That's on him. The team can't control what he eats all day or how hard he trains his body.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                                Is JV in Lithuania this summer?

My impression is that internationl play isn't helping his development. I'd like to see him working on his foot speed all summer, hanging out with a skipping rope and a personal trainer. Going to an international tournament where he plays like a traditional 5 is probably not the best use of his time.

If his trade value is weak maybe the best course is to work on his foot speed all summer
                                Hasn't he worked with sprinting coaches in past offseasons?

Like we've come to terms with DeRozan's crappy 3pt shooting, we have to do the same with Jonas' speed. He is what he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X