Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Hasn't he worked with sprinting coaches in past offseasons?

Like we've come to terms with DeRozan's crappy 3pt shooting, we have to do the same with Jonas' speed. He is what he is.
    Foot speed isn't the same.

Jonas' problem isn't how fast he gets up and down the court, it's lateral speed and changing direction. You won't find many (any?) guys his size that are better though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Jonas' problem isn't how fast he gets up and down the court, it's lateral speed and changing direction. You won't find many (any?) guys his size that are better though.

It would be good for him to work on his body, of course, but he will never be effectively defending guards on the perimeter like some people here seem to want. The idea that there are really any bigs in the NBA who can is, frankly, laughable (no, not even the athletic bigs).

Lateral quickness is an issue but he'll have to overcome it with good positioning. We have seen it on occasion but not often enough. He has to improve the mental aspect of his defence more than anything. Confidence and involvement in the team are issues too, we've seen him play good defence when he's involved. It sucks for him and for us that he's not the second coming of Tyson Chandler, but we, and he, didn't really develop his game that way, so it's been a long time coming.

I'm not ready to throw out all the old-school bigs in the NBA just yet. There will be teams that can and will use guys like JV and will have great defences. The Spurs would probably still have the best defence in the NBA with Jonas in the middle. But it seems obvious that this team will not ever incorporate him properly.
      Last edited by KHD; Thu Jul 6, 2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Is foot speed something that can be significantly improved, though? I mean, quick guys can become a bit quicker, and slow guys can become a little less slow, but again, I don't expect any noticeable differences in Jonas' foot speed. He is what he is.

Comment

Is foot speed something that can be significantly improved, though? I mean, quick guys can become a bit quicker, and slow guys can become a little less slow, but again, I don't expect any noticeable differences in Jonas' foot speed. He is what he is.
          Yeah but the idea that it's the problem with his/our D is the illusion. He's not the slowest big in the league. Arguably quicker than Pau, Aldridge (who is much slower than his early years), and David Lee...and Spurs managed the best D in the league. Memphis manages great Ds with slow bigs. Charlotte has ranked highly under Clifford, sometimes with atrocious defensive bigs.

The year we had Greer and ran a system that made sense, JV looked fine, maybe even good defensively.

Comment

It can be. Athletes always work on foot strength to increase speed and agility. In my opinion, Jonas' reaction is very slow compared to other nba players.

Comment

• There are guys, like Gortat, who definitely manage to stay on the floor more than JV. Whether that's a question of physical skills or coaching/systems is another thing altogether...

Offseason reps should be able to help JV become more decisive offensively, which is still a need, I'm skeptical they can give a guy lateral quicks. I think that issue has to be hidden in your team systems, but it's clear the Raptors would rather just play JV less than accommodate him on that level.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                It can be. Athletes always work on foot strength to increase speed and agility. In my opinion, Jonas' reaction is very slow compared to other nba players.
                Speed for short distance sprinters on average peaks by 25. Longer distances a few years later because endurance comes into play. But these guys don't have any bulk either.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Let it be noted yet again that choosing Casey over JV is going to prove to be one of the worst decisions this franchise has ever made.
                  Sticking with Casey may end up being a major gaffe but I don't think moving on from JV is going to come back and bite the Raptors. We're starting to see his value through the eyes of other teams right now and it doesn't appear to be good. I think most teams see the difficulty in fitting in a clunky and plodding centre in the ever-evolving NBA the same way Toronto does and hence, there's not a real market for him.

Comment

• https://instagram.com/p/BWcvP0fAVaO/

JV with a shot at everyone who thinks he just sits around all summer?

Comment

• Man I hope he starts wearing hats during games now.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
                        https://instagram.com/p/BWcvP0fAVaO/

Obviously just a drinking game while getting blasted at Wasaga Beach again....

Comment

• If he can improve that quickness... If he can get back some of that bounce he came into the league with... If he can keep developing his shooting range... Big ifs, but man.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That's pretty much me playing pick up with guys too lazy to get open.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

He should resist the urge to post workout videos. This does nothing to refute those who might question his off-season work...
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                If he can improve that quickness... If he can get back some of that bounce he came into the league with... If he can keep developing his shooting range... Big ifs, but man.
                                Yup would love to see it. Perhaps wishful thinking but I gotta think keeping him and working on his footspeed is better than dumping him for nothing. Masai is a straight shooter I'm sure they gave JV some pointed things to work on. If he comes to training camp slow and overweight we can dump him next year. In the meantime I'm holding out hope he comes back with some bounce in his step.

Comment

Working...
                                X