Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Even though Powell is 6'4 with a 6'11 wingspan I still can't see him guarding 3s regularly. Wade and Wall have almost the same measurements and you wouldn't want either of them guarding SFs.
    All one needs is the patented Battier blindfold technique...

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      All one needs is the patented Battier blindfold technique...

The original full video was taken down but that was the gist of it.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• If I'm reading between the lines, you're telling me that Thompson's a cyborg.

Comment

Even though Powell is 6'4 with a 6'11 wingspan I still can't see him guarding 3s regularly. Wade and Wall have almost the same measurements and you wouldn't want either of them guarding SFs.
          I think the same way basketball is being "position-less" on offence, there's a similar trend on the defensive end, although not as pronounced. As isolation basketball dies off and more and more offences move to a pace-and-space system, defensive players who can switch assignments fluidly, play help D and recover, and generally stay in front of their man are becoming more important than those who can just bang physically with the bigger wings of the league.

Inferring that the team is going to be worse off defensively with Powell starting over DMC is very silly.
          Last edited by Fully; Fri Jul 21, 2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
            I think the same way basketball is being "position-less" on offence, there's a similar trend on the defensive end, although not as pronounced. As isolation basketball dies off and more and more offences move to a pace-and-space system, defensive players who can switch assignments fluidly, play help D and recover, and generally stay in front of their man are becoming more important than those who can just bang physically with the bigger wings of the league.

Inferring that the team is going to be worse off defensively with Powell starting over DMC is very silly.
            I would agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that so many teams have a small forward as their best player.

I don't see what's silly about thinking it might not be a good idea to try to guard someone like Giannis or Durant with Powell.

I think starting Powell will be fine defensively when the 2-guard is the better of the two wings. In that case Powell would guard the 2 and DeMar would guard the 3. But in cases where the 3 is the best player and very big/long we're going to run into heightened versions of the issues we did when Ross started at the 3.

I mean people can just ignore that if they want, that's fine.
            Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Sat Jul 22, 2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

I would agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that so many teams have a small forward as their best player.

I don't see what's silly about thinking it might not be a good idea to try to guard someone like Giannis or Durant with Powell.

I think starting Powell will be fine defensively when the 2-guard is the better of the two wings. In that case Powell would guard the 2 and DeMar would guard the 3. But in cases where the 3 is the best player and very big/long we're going to run into heightened versions of the issues we did when Ross started at the 3.

Powell is infinitely more capable of guarding big threes above his weight class than Ross ever dreamed of being.

It's a concern, sure. But not one worth downgrading the starting lineup to fix.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So many teams? I thought SF was the most barren position in today's game. Granted the best ones are flippin' good and the teams the Raptors will have to face in the playoffs will likely have a Giannis or Hayward, but over 29 teams in 82 games it's not a massive concern. And by the playoffs I guess you have to hope that OG can provide some minutes defending the 3.

But after the top 6 SF or so in the whole league, you get to the likes of Otto Porter who basically feasts on what his teammates provide for him.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• I'm not worried about Powell guarding Hayward at all. Physical measurements are helpful but, mentality is more important. Ross was soft and would back down from physicality. Powell is probably one of toughest players on the team. I could see Powelll bothering Hayward like he did Middleton.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• A player can be big but, doesn't matter if they don't have a post up game. I don't watch Utah but, I think Hayward plays a perimeter game.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's not about ignoring anything. We are talking about Powell's defence in comparison to Carroll. We won't suffer there at all by switching those two in our rotation.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        I'm not worried about Powell guarding Hayward at all. Physical measurements are helpful but, mentality is more important. Ross was soft and would back down from physicality. Powell is probably one of toughest players on the team. I could see Powelll bothering Hayward like he did Middleton.

I get the impression you are underestimating Hayward, but I agree Powell is currently the best option for defending any wing big or small. Hopefully OG becomes another option for big wings as the year goes on.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          I get the impression you are underestimating Hayward, but I agree Powell is currently the best option for defending any wing big or small. Hopefully OG becomes another option for big wings as the year goes on.
                          I dont think I'm underestimating him. He is a good player but, not a game changer. Pretty sure he missed some games last year and Utah didnt really struggle that much. Also I think he is really going to miss Gobert on defensive side.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Powell is infinitely more capable of guarding big threes above his weight class than Ross ever dreamed of being.

It's a concern, sure. But not one worth downgrading the starting lineup to fix.
                            I didn't fucking say we should downgrade the starting lineup. I said it's going to be a major issue. It's not like putting Miles there instead fixes it because he's not a good defender at all.

We are in trouble when it comes to defending star level 3s. That's my point.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                              So many teams? I thought SF was the most barren position in today's game. Granted the best ones are flippin' good and the teams the Raptors will have to face in the playoffs will likely have a Giannis or Hayward, but over 29 teams in 82 games it's not a massive concern. And by the playoffs I guess you have to hope that OG can provide some minutes defending the 3.

But after the top 6 SF or so in the whole league, you get to the likes of Otto Porter who basically feasts on what his teammates provide for him.
                              My concern is the top playoff teams, particularly in the east. One thing that saved us last year was having Tucker to really get into Giannis (with his physicality) and frustrate him. The reality is that we're going to likely run into Giannis, Hayward, LeBron and don't have any sort of answer for them defensively (maybe Hayward to a lesser extent since he's not as much of a physical freak as the other two). Then if by some miracle we did get to the finals, I'm not sure how we're supposed to guard Durant, Kawhi, etc. Those are the players I'm worried about because those are the guys you have to beat to advance in the playoffs. I'm not as worried about whether Orlando or Phoenix have a good SF.

Comment

I didn't fucking say we should downgrade the starting lineup. I said it's going to be a major issue. It's not like putting Miles there instead fixes it because he's not a good defender at all.

We are in trouble when it comes to defending star level 3s. That's my point.
                                We're better off than last year. Carroll couldn't defend big threes either. This year, Powell gets more of a shot, Miles is more capable than Ross was of defending big players, and OG is a more promising young wing who could step in than Bruno was at this time last year (plus Bruno with another year under his belt is still here).

We'll be fine.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X