No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And re the getting touches means better defence theory; everyone just think of their own experiences from schoolyard soccer to hockey to high school bball. Ever go up and down the court working your ass off and never get a shot while some other guy tries to channel the Black Mamba? Yes....pros should be more professional and do their job regardless but they are human beings too. I think there is absolutely no doubt that JV is happier and more into the game when he's getting touches and scoring. But obviously he is also better; probably hard work, maturity and coaching.

Comment

• JV always had good rebounding numbers though. The whole package just looks better with the offensive flow (from both him and the team).

But more importantly, he's moving better defensively and I don't think it's due to effort thanks to being more involved in the offense. It's from being in or close to (his) peak NBA fitness, and I'm not just talking about his BMI here.

Almost every young player, barring injuries and whatnot, becomes a better defender as they gain experience and stamina. I'd argue that it's a stamina doing the minutiae with automaticity - without having to think about it. The mechanics on challenges in the paint, hedging and sprinting back, every little bump and arm-grab, the dance of NBA (teams') defense and the game in general, they all get easier and easier as the 'muscle memory' builds. This is a major reason why vets, even the likes of JV and DD, are better on D than most youngsters.

Good ol' running endurance doesn't hurt either.
      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Feb 3, 2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• didn't people always say "big men take a long time to develop"?

Comment

• Small sample size be damned!

The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Consider me absolutely shocked that Raptor fans would not extend their developmental patience for a player past the age of 23. /greenfont
            Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Feb 3, 2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
              Small sample size be damned!

When you use the same qualifier and look it up over NBA history, he's #4 all-time right now.
              https://www.basketball-reference.com...der_by=fg3_pct

The only other player in NBA history to average over 13 rebounds per 36 and at least 45% from 3 (on 20 or more attempts) was Kanter a couple years back.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...der_by=fg3_pct

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                dont want to jinx it but he honestly is. I'm shocked he is still yet to average a double-double
                Hard to average a double double without averaging 30 MP. There are only 12 players league wide averaging a points-rebounds double double this season. The fewest MPG belongs to Whiteside, at 25.6, and the group of 12 players averages 32 MPG. JV averages under 22 MPG.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Hard to average a double double without averaging 30 MP. There are only 12 players league wide averaging a points-rebounds double double this season. The fewest MPG belongs to Whiteside, at 25.6, and the group of 12 players averages 32 MPG. JV averages under 22 MPG.
                  Which kind of begs the question, why is he only averaging 22 MPG? You can say it's because he isn't effective in the fourth quarter, but I would say, how do you know that. He mostly doesn't play the fourth quarter.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Which kind of begs the question, why is he only averaging 22 MPG? You can say it's because he isn't effective in the fourth quarter, but I would say, how do you know that. He mostly doesn't play the fourth quarter.
                    Jonas is too weak to pound the rock

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I think the plan is generally to limit JV to somewhere around 20 minutes through the first 3 quarters, so that he's got lots of gas left in the tank if he's needed in the late fourth. But a lot of nights, either due to matchup or the game being wrapped up one way or the other, they don't need him in the late 4th. In January he played in the 4th in 7 games, and averaged about 5.5 minutes. Keep him primed to be able to bring him for the last 6 minutes. Which is about right to me: about 26 minutes when he's needed in the 4th, about 20 when he isn't. By my reckoning, all 7 of the 4th Q minute games he played included clutch minutes.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                        I think the plan is generally to limit JV to somewhere around 20 minutes through the first 3 quarters, so that he's got lots of gas left in the tank if he's needed in the late fourth. But a lot of nights, either due to matchup or the game being wrapped up one way or the other, they don't need him in the late 4th. In January he played in the 4th in 7 games, and averaged about 5.5 minutes. Keep him primed to be able to bring him for the last 6 minutes. Which is about right to me: about 26 minutes when he's needed in the 4th, about 20 when he isn't. By my reckoning, all 7 of the 4th Q minute games he played included clutch minutes.
                        LOL. He's not in Casey's doghouse. He's actually Coaches secret weapon. ��

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                          yeah i don't really have any complaints with his minutes right now considering how many games have been wrapped up in the 3rd.

i think he can eventually be a 30 minute guy (if he's still here next year) but for now we are better served having him fresh and playing with extremely good energy at all times. Especially since we have Poeltl in relief, who just might be the best bench C in the league.

Comment

• Yeah, the depth is the answer for his minutes. So long as they play him when needed I have no complaints. The issue is when he sits when he's clearly needed out there. Which has happened less this year, I think, and less as the year has gone on.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Big ups to big Jonas for proving me wrong so far this year. Still think that mobility on D is gonna hurt us in some playoff matchups but he's been balling, especially the last month or so.

Comment

• I'm so happy that we have Ray Allen on our team
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X