Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, the depth is the answer for his minutes. So long as they play him when needed I have no complaints. The issue is when he sits when he's clearly needed out there. Which has happened less this year, I think, and less as the year has gone on.
    Yeah, my biggest beef in general was just the 3 centre experiment. What a waste of time. That stretch hurt JV and Jak's minutes.

Other than that just the occasional situational complaints, but not actually that bad this year for that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Any guesses as to JV's final 3 point shot % at the end of the season. He has always had pretty good mechanics. High % foul shooter.

I'm guessing 33-34%

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Any guesses as to JV's final 3 point shot % at the end of the season. He has always had pretty good mechanics. High % foul shooter.

I'm guessing 33-34%
        That sounds about right.

I expect it to fall hard fast once teams start to prevent the open shots and then raise again once he's gotten used to it.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Any guesses as to JV's final 3 point shot % at the end of the season. He has always had pretty good mechanics. High % foul shooter.

I'm guessing 33-34%
          Depends if he keeps taking them only when he's open. If he starts shooting them more often and more contested I could see it falling that low. But i would guess more in the 40-41% range.

Comment

I'm guessing 33-34%
            That's pretty low. We're already almost 2/3 thru the season and he's at 47%, so he'd have to be a pretty crappy shooter from here on to drop it that much. Even if he shoots like 25% he'd still probably be high 30s
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              That's pretty low. We're already almost 2/3 thru the season and he's at 47%, so he'd have to be a pretty crappy shooter from here on to drop it that much. Even if he shoots like 25% he'd still probably be high 30s
              He's really only been shooting with volume in the most recent stretch though. 16 of his 34 attempts have come in the past 10 games. So if he takes 16 every 10 games from here on out, he'd end up at 48 attempts the rest of the way. out of a total of 82 (nice full season number there). Meaning to end up at 34% (28/82), he'd have to go 12/48 (25%) the rest of the way.

That said, I don't see his percentage plummeting much, as he's shown over and over again, that if he's remotely covered, his instinct is to pump fake and drive. The question will be whether he can maintain the volume. If not, its kind of a good thing, as it means that defences are covering him out there - meaning that Lowry and DeMar will be ripping them to shreds inside.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                He's really only been shooting with volume in the most recent stretch though. 16 of his 34 attempts have come in the past 10 games. So if he takes 16 every 10 games from here on out, he'd end up at 48 attempts the rest of the way. out of a total of 82 (nice full season number there). Meaning to end up at 34% (28/82), he'd have to go 12/48 (25%) the rest of the way.

That said, I don't see his percentage plummeting much, as he's shown over and over again, that if he's remotely covered, his instinct is to pump fake and drive. The question will be whether he can maintain the volume. If not, its kind of a good thing, as it means that defences are covering him out there - meaning that Lowry and DeMar will be ripping them to shreds inside.
                If the scouting reports now have him ID'd as a high % shooter, I want to see him shooting four a game. As you say, it opens it up for our guards. It might be interesting to try him with the second unit. Even with Yak as center and JV manning the high post, then JV guarding the opposing center, if the match ups work. For short stints. Gets JV a few more minutes and he can practice his pump fake, drive and baby hook or slam dunk.
                Last edited by Puffer; Mon Feb 5, 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Which kind of begs the question, why is he only averaging 22 MPG? You can say it's because he isn't effective in the fourth quarter, but I would say, how do you know that. He mostly doesn't play the fourth quarter.
                  Because Casey's eyes are still half shut. Even when JV has an entirely dominant game, Casey only gives him faint praise. It's ridiculous

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                    Because Casey's eyes are still half shut. Even when JV has an entirely dominant game, Casey only gives him faint praise. It's ridiculous
                    To be fair, in the last 7 games he hasn't played less than 24 and is averaging 26 mpg. It's changing, slowly

Comment

• I'm glad Jv is getting more run & is starting to shoot the 3 ball with consistency. If teams aren't gonna cover him and he can let it fly, I hope we work on plays that will allow him to get open from 3 more often. With his screens, a JV pick & pop screams lethal.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Hopefully they don't start covering him. His release is Amir Johnson slow, like loading a catapult

Comment

Hopefully they don't start covering him. His release is Amir Johnson slow, like loading a catapult
                          They run out to cover him.... pump fake and BOOM, drive and baby hook. Unstoppable.

Comment

Hopefully they don't start covering him. His release is Amir Johnson slow, like loading a catapult
                            His release actually isn't slow he just has this weird habit of staring at the rim, and holding the ball down by his hips like he's getting ready to shoot a ft. If he got his feet set and ready on the catch he'd bury three's at a pretty high rate. I'm no shooting coach but I had a friend who had the same habit (he was a big man as well) and I told him to just get his feet set and knees bent on the catch and sure enough his shot improved dramatically. Going back to the basics really does wonders

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              His release actually isn't slow he just has this weird habit of staring at the rim, and holding the ball down by his hips like he's getting ready to shoot a ft. If he got his feet set and ready on the catch he'd bury three's at a pretty high rate. I'm no shooting coach but I had a friend who had the same habit (he was a big man as well) and I told him to just get his feet set and knees bent on the catch and sure enough his shot improved dramatically. Going back to the basics really does wonders
                              He stares at the rim to concentrate on the shot.... but you're right about about how he should get his feet ready on the catch.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• I mean he's always been a bit slow to make decisions with the ball in any situation. That's one of the things that's improving this year. At the 3 pt line it looks to me like he's just surveying things, he almost threatens the shot just to try to get his man to move then only takes it if the guy doesn't IMHO.

People have about 4 minutes to step in front of his drives and take a charge, no one has wanted to yet tho. He won't be dribbling from the perimeter all the way to the rim in the playoffs.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X