Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LJ2 wrote: View Post
    What sort of growth are you referring to or hoping for? It's not like he wasn't a key member of a really good team for the last 5+ years.

    The fact remains this is a very guard/wing dominant team and even more so now than when DeMar and Casey were here. Maybe Nurse makes more of an effort to distribute usage among the players, but I'm not banking on that until I see it and it looks like it's working.
    Last year in his first year in Nurse's offence, JV's usage leapt from 19.5% the year before to 22.7% last year, well above his previous career high of 20.9% (the only other year he's broken 20). As a result, his per-36 minute scoring hit 20.4 points for the first time in his career, well above his previous career high of 17.8 points per 36.

    Not only was his usage higher, his efficiency jumped too - he was getting the ball in better positions to score than ever before. Unlike Casey, who would force-feed him his offence in the post (to the tune of 3 possessions a game - only 2 per game this past year), Nurse uses JV primarily as a roll threat (which has been his strength literally since he was drafted) with him finishing 3 possessions per game there this season (compared to only 2 per game the previous two years, in more minutes at that). This meant JV getting more involved in the offence in the right way - and resulted in him posting a career high usage and TS% in the same season, a rarity.

    The test for Nurse will be whether he gives JV the minutes Casey was always hesitant to give him (for good reasons or not). That's the one biggest area for potential growth. Can he exist in a high minutes role in a good defence, and maintain his elite efficiency and offensive role? Can Nurse make room for that growth, and develop a defensive system that not only maximizes defence, but maximizes the time the team's top players can stay on the floor?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      Last year in his first year in Nurse's offence, JV's usage leapt from 19.5% the year before to 22.7% last year, well above his previous career high of 20.9%...... only 2 per game this past year), Nurse uses JV primarily as a roll threat (which has been his strength literally since he was drafted) with him finishing 3 possessions per game there this season (compared to only 2 per game the previous two years, in more minutes at that). This meant ......Can Nurse make room for that growth, and develop a defensive system that not only maximizes defence, but maximizes the time the team's top players can stay on the floor?
      This can not be underemphasized. In all the post JV draft viewing of Lithuanian team footage, it was amazing to see that and get excited to see that for the Raptors. But....it kind of never happened. Hopefully that area continues to grow.

      Comment


      • DanH wrote: View Post
        Last year in his first year in Nurse's offence, JV's usage leapt from 19.5% the year before to 22.7% last year, well above his previous career high of 20.9% (the only other year he's broken 20). As a result, his per-36 minute scoring hit 20.4 points for the first time in his career, well above his previous career high of 17.8 points per 36.

        Not only was his usage higher, his efficiency jumped too - he was getting the ball in better positions to score than ever before. Unlike Casey, who would force-feed him his offence in the post (to the tune of 3 possessions a game - only 2 per game this past year), Nurse uses JV primarily as a roll threat (which has been his strength literally since he was drafted) with him finishing 3 possessions per game there this season (compared to only 2 per game the previous two years, in more minutes at that). This meant JV getting more involved in the offence in the right way - and resulted in him posting a career high usage and TS% in the same season, a rarity.

        The test for Nurse will be whether he gives JV the minutes Casey was always hesitant to give him (for good reasons or not). That's the one biggest area for potential growth. Can he exist in a high minutes role in a good defence, and maintain his elite efficiency and offensive role? Can Nurse make room for that growth, and develop a defensive system that not only maximizes defence, but maximizes the time the team's top players can stay on the floor?
        Everything you said makes sense. The new offence which spreads usage a bit more evenly among all of the starters resulted in JV getting more touches. The nature of the offence being movement based helped make it so that the touches JV got were off movement and not in the post (how he traditionally received them). Basically the new offence dictated it, but I wouldn't say it was them actively trying to focus on JV's usage.

        JV's minutes is the big question. Will Nurse try to keep him on the floor more? You have to think Nurse will try to get Siakam in the mix at centre early on, in the season. There's also Serge. Actually another big questions will be whether JV closes them game on a consistent basis...and not just if we're blowing teams out.

        Comment


        • LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Everything you said makes sense. The new offence which spreads usage a bit more evenly among all of the starters resulted in JV getting more touches. The nature of the offence being movement based helped make it so that the touches JV got were off movement and not in the post (how he traditionally received them). Basically the new offence dictated it, but I wouldn't say it was them actively trying to focus on JV's usage.

          JV's minutes is the big question. Will Nurse try to keep him on the floor more? You have to think Nurse will try to get Siakam in the mix at centre early on, in the season. There's also Serge. Actually another big questions will be whether JV closes them game on a consistent basis...and not just if we're blowing teams out.
          I can't bold anything on Tapatalk, but the last sentence of your first paragraph basically how any good offence should be run and speaks to the problems under Casey and with Demar. You don't actively try to emphasize any one player's usage. You create a system where the way players and the ball move will put guys in a position to get good opportunities without having to overemphasize one guy. The best scorers will still rise to the top in that kind of system.

          You will still need guys like Kawhi, Lowry, and to a lesser extent our other perimeter guys, to create when things stall. That could possibly include a post up now and then for JV. However the goal is to avoid those situations as much as possible. Until last year, our offence was run with seemingly the opposite philosophy.

          Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • Say worddddd



            Comment


            • Comment


              • Jv is gonna beast this year. 18 pts a game.
                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                Comment


                • I don't think JV posted up at all this game and he still had the most points on the team.

                  And as usual, the team looked really good while he was out there. Unleash the beast!
                  OG is our king

                  Comment


                  • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Jv is gonna beast this year. 18 pts a game.
                    You got 'er. Siakam too man, grabbed 13 boards in 20 minutes tonight. Everyone focused on our improvement in the perimeter & defence this year, but I think our bigs are flying under the radar and gonna beast this year too. Even Serge & Monroe had a pep in their steps tonight.
                    2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

                    Comment


                    • Everyone is trying to say the right thing about the coaching change but I can’t count how many times he talks about basketball being “fun” now. I think he was a good soldier playing his role under Casey...and it worked. But this could be a fun season.

                      Comment


                      • Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        Everyone is trying to say the right thing about the coaching change but I can’t count how many times he talks about basketball being “fun” now. I think he was a good soldier playing his role under Casey...and it worked. But this could be a fun season.
                        The guy's confidence was completely shot at one point under Casey. I bet this feels like paradise.

                        It's a testament to his team-first mentality that you never heard him complain about his narrowly-defined role.
                        It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                        Comment


                        • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          The guy's confidence was completely shot at one point under Casey. I bet this feels like paradise.

                          It's a testament to his team-first mentality that you never heard him complain about his narrowly-defined role.
                          I read in the comments that most of the young men on the Raptors lacked a father figure in their lives.Casey was the perfect father figure.Can’t think of any players going against him in his time here.J V was raised by a single mom and fits this profile.

                          Comment


                          • If they were a junior High team maybe. These guys dont need a father figure as a coach at this point.

                            Comment


                            • Been waiting to see this from JV for a while. He screwed up on D a couple of times, but mostly just played big. That's what you want from your big men. His passing game was on display too. Pinpoint. Great game. Hope he gets a chance to continue under Nurse.

                              Comment


                              • Any word from Nurse if JV will be starting or not. I'm really curious if JV is getting moved to the bench because I remember Nurse saying something along the lines of them having to get JV more involved on offence...does that mean he's going to be the primary source of O, with the second unit? And Serge as the starting C....errrrr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X