No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas was on Danny Green's show this week. Love this series, nice to get a little extra look at the guys.

Comment

• Love the guy and this team misses his presence. Plus the great fashion sense

Comment

• We're at 35 games so I think the real plus/minus data is starting to solidify... and our boy JV is at 10th among all 61 centres in the NBA!

This is a serious improvement staked largely on his jump to 22nd in defensive RPM. Kudos to JV. He may not be perfect at everything, but what he does do, he does very well.

Comment

• Though we pulled out the game tonight against Miami, the first half was another painful reminder about how much JV is missed. I am ready to admit that Nurse has been using him wisely for the most part. With the current NBA style of play he might never become a 30 minute a night player. But I have the impression that JV is the consummate teammate, extremely valuable in certain situations and in some games able to dominate. His defence has improved, especially rim protection. As his trade value is probably limited I suspect he will stay a Raptor for a long time and that pleases me.

Comment

• The toughness JV provides is a vastly overlooked skill. Impossible to quantify by stats, but painfully obvious to see with the eye test.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              The toughness JV provides is a vastly overlooked skill. Impossible to quantify by stats, but painfully obvious to see with the eye test.
              Jv is a "big game" player. Serge was a big part of a finals run. We all know Danny and kawhis resumes. I feel good knowing Lowry is now surrounded by super confident players. No offense to the demars and the "open look, I'm shook" Patterson or t ross' of the world..
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

But a funny thing has happened this year. If you look at impact stats, i.e. PIPM, you notice that 7 of the top 20 impact players in the NBA this season are centers. Even more interesting is that all of those guys have good to great defensive impact stats.

Earlier in the season, Serge Ibaka was hailed for transitioning to the prototypical mobile, stretch 5, rim protecting unicorn center for the modern NBA, but it's become painfully obvious that we need JV's size, toughness and finishing ability to compete at a high level. In Nurse's 'jazz solo' offense, JV is one of the few guys who can consistently create his own efficient shot and he cleans up misses which would be even more important with FVV & Wright conducting the offense way out of rhythm.

Chr1s1anL: where you @?

Comment

A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

But a funny thing has happened this year. If you look at impact stats, i.e. PIPM, you notice that 7 of the top 20 impact players in the NBA this season are centers. Even more interesting is that all of those guys have good to great defensive impact stats.

Earlier in the season, Serge Ibaka was hailed for transitioning to the prototypical mobile, stretch 5, rim protecting unicorn center for the modern NBA, but it's become painfully obvious that we need JV's size, toughness and finishing ability to compete at a high level. In Nurse's 'jazz solo' offense, JV is one of the few guys who can consistently create his own efficient shot and he cleans up misses which would be even more important with FVV & Wright conducting the offense way out of rhythm.

The other thing about Nurse's offence is even if you want your players to read and react, you need the defence to move to give them something to react to, and there is one tried and true method for making the defence move - setting a screen. And JV is by a couple orders of magnitude the best screen setter (and threat after a screen) on the team. The raw talent of Lowry and Kawhi has led the team to great success regardless, but take one out and we're seeing how much the offence has relied on that, and without JV there, we're seeing how ugly the offence can get without those two papering over the issues and without real screen actions to move the defence around.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

A few years ago Dwane Casey said, in reference to JV: "the days of the center has gone by." That wasn't just Casey's opinion, in fact it still is the prevailing notion in the NBA these days.

Jonas is our bass player in the quintet. Come back soon big fella
                    OG is our king

Comment

• Any news on how far along JV's healing is? Any timetable for his return to action? Practice at least? Anybody?

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                        Any news on how far along JV's healing is? Any timetable for his return to action? Practice at least? Anybody?
                        On Jan 2nd, there was a report that he was still 3-4 weeks away. So if we assume 3 weeks, he'll be back around Jan 23rd. We play Indiana on the road that day (second game of B2B though). Perhaps the 25th against the Rockets on the road.

If we go by 4 weeks, that would be Jan 30th. We play the Mavs on the 27th at home, and the Bucks on the 30th at home. So if 4 weeks, than possibly one of those games.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          On Jan 2nd, there was a report that he was still 3-4 weeks away. So if we assume 3 weeks, he'll be back around Jan 23rd. We play Indiana on the road that day (second game of B2B though). Perhaps the 25th against the Rockets on the road.

If we go by 4 weeks, that would be Jan 30th. We play the Mavs on the 27th at home, and the Bucks on the 30th at home. So if 4 weeks, than possibly one of those games.
                          Many thanks for this very complete reply.

Comment

the only problem was, and I forget the article, but Nurse commented that JV was ahead of schedule because they were initially told 8-12 weeks. That's the first time I heard those numbers

Comment

I read the schedule wrong. We play the Mavs on the 27th on the road (not at home). And the Bucks on the 31st at home (not the 30th).

Comment

• There were reports that JV is now getting up shots wearing only a wrap on his thumb, and off the court has no wrap at all on it. So it's a strengthening exercise at this point.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X