Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • - Where's the f*ckin ball?
    - Can't touch this!

    Comment




    • Jonas looks pretty good in a Raptors uniform!

      Comment


      • love the old school jordons

        edit: also that ross appears to be taller than acy, a power forward.
        @sweatpantsjer

        Comment


        • ceez wrote: View Post
          love the old school jordons

          edit: also that ross appears to be taller than acy, a power forward.
          I was more concerned with the fact that VJ barely looks taller than Ross or Acy! lol

          Comment


          • ross comes up to flying V's eyebrows, here's hoping his forehead is a solid 4 inches!
            @sweatpantsjer

            Comment


            • ceez wrote: View Post
              ross comes up to flying V's eyebrows, here's hoping his forehead is a solid 4 inches!
              Or at the very least, trade in those bargain bin tennis shoes for some actual basketball shoes... he's going to roll an ankle without hightops! lol

              Comment


              • Remember that his strength is his wingspan, not the size.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

                Comment


                • i think the pic is just misleading somehow look at the difference where there knees and shoulder are. unless tross is a giraffe this doesnt make sense

                  Comment


                  • ceez wrote: View Post
                    ross comes up to flying V's eyebrows, here's hoping his forehead is a solid 4 inches!
                    He looks like he's 6'10" in that picture... I hope it's the shoes...

                    Comment


                    • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I was more concerned with the fact that VJ barely looks taller than Ross or Acy! lol
                      I don't think anyone realizes that 6'7/6'8 to 6'11 isn't a huge difference!
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                      Comment


                      • RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        I don't think anyone realizes that 6'7/6'8 to 6'11 isn't a huge difference!
                        I suppose that's true, but I figured 5-6" would be at least a little more visible. There's a picture on the ESPN NBA page (down quite a bit on the right side) that shows the top-ranked players at each position from their previous ranking (Howard, Dirk, LeBron, Wade and Paul) and it was pretty clear from their relative heights what position each was (aside from Howard/Dirk)... I just assumed that there would be a similarly clear-cut visible difference when a C, SG and undersized PF were photographed side-by-side.

                        Comment


                        • Here is a photo showing JV to be 216 cm in street shoes. He is likely slightly taller in basketball shoes. 214 cm is over 7 feet.



                          Comment


                          • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I suppose that's true, but I figured 5-6" would be at least a little more visible. There's a picture on the ESPN NBA page (down quite a bit on the right side) that shows the top-ranked players at each position from their previous ranking (Howard, Dirk, LeBron, Wade and Paul) and it was pretty clear from their relative heights what position each was (aside from Howard/Dirk)... I just assumed that there would be a similarly clear-cut visible difference when a C, SG and undersized PF were photographed side-by-side.
                            I believe Terrence Ross and Quincy Acy are 6'7/6'8.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                            Comment


                            • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I suppose that's true, but I figured 5-6" would be at least a little more visible. There's a picture on the ESPN NBA page (down quite a bit on the right side) that shows the top-ranked players at each position from their previous ranking (Howard, Dirk, LeBron, Wade and Paul) and it was pretty clear from their relative heights what position each was (aside from Howard/Dirk)... I just assumed that there would be a similarly clear-cut visible difference when a C, SG and undersized PF were photographed side-by-side.
                              Part of that's an optical illusion. Jonas is standing slightly behind the other two, meaning that his height advantage is going to be slightly diminished, same as a building in the distance looking shorter than a building in the foreground. Now look at that picture on ESPN. By putting tall guys in the front, it exaggerates their height relative to the guys in the back. For me the best way to evaluate the relative height of JV and Ross in this photo is looking at their shoulders. JV's is a good five or six inches higher, which roughly corresponds to their height difference.

                              Edit: as well with the picture on ESPN, it looks like the camera height is at or slightly below Paul's eye-level, which is going to be more accurate for things at that height. In the Raptors photo, it looks like camera height is probably chest-level, which is going to increase the perspective problems. Just look at Ross's shoulders! His right shoulder is about three to four inches higher than his left. Which is why I mentioned comparing the shoulder heights of JV and Ross in the photo, because their shoulders are pretty close together, making it one of the few places where a useful comparison can be done.
                              Last edited by octothorp; Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Amazing, a NY Post article not talking negatively about us:

                                http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz267fZ7Tqv

                                Knicks' Chandler among difficult tests for Raptors rookie

                                By TIM BONTEMPS

                                Jonas Valanciunas is in for a steep learning curve in his rookie year.
                                The Raptors center – who likely would have been the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft behind Anthony Davis if he’d been in this year’s draft – will have to go up against Tyson Chandler, Brook Lopez, Kevin Garnett and Andrew Bynum this year in the Atlantic Division.
                                But Valanciunas, the fifth pick in the 2011 draft who then spent last season playing in Europe, is looking forward to going up against each of them all season long.
                                “I like challenges, because I’m a young guy and I have to improve myself in this league, and challenges are going to help me,” he said last month at the 2012 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot with Panini, the NBA’s trading card partner for the past four years.
                                “I’m not expecting to beat those guys from the start, but I’m going to work hard and prove that I can play with those guys.”
                                The 20-year-old from Lithuania already got some exposure this summer, when he was a member of his country’s Olympic team in London. Valanciunas and his teammates gave Team USA one of its most difficult games of the tournament, leading 82-80 with less than seven minutes remaining before the U.S. eventually won 99-94.
                                Valanciunas spent that game matched up against Chandler, the starting center for Team USA.
                                “I had a great experience,” said Valanciunas, who was the fifth pick in the 2011 draft and played professionally last year in Lithuania.
                                “The Olympics are the best [competition] I could get this summer. I got a lot of experience playing against USA’s Dream Team, a lot of different teams like Argentina, France … there were a lot of great players.”
                                The Raptors made several moves to improve their team this summer besides bringing Valanciunas over from Europe. They traded for Kyle Lowry, signed former Knick Landry Fields, drafted guard Terrence Ross and should have Andrea Bargnani back healthy after he spent much of last season sidelined with a lingering calf injury.
                                “We have a young team,” Valanciunas said. “We have energy, speed … we’re gonna try to win games.
                                “I’m excited. I’ve heard [Toronto] is a great city. I’m looking forward to moving there. It’s [a great] opportunity … it’s going to be good.”
                                http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz267fZ7Tqv
                                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X