Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jangles wrote: View Post
    I agree with using Pat, Serge and JV as the 3 bigs going forward.

However, Casey is stubborn and he will almost certainly not pull Serge at the 5-6 min mark of the 1st and 3rd so that he can back up JV when he goes off at the 7-9 min mark.

He's shown he has little trust for JV. I would be pleasantly surprised if I saw this happen and JV is going to have to absolutely beast in his limited minutes for this to have any possibility of happening.
    You should know by now this doesn't matter. If Casey decides JV's playing only 20 min, then he's only playing 20 min no matter how well he plays.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
      You should know by now this doesn't matter. If Casey decides JV's playing only 20 min, then he's only playing 20 min no matter how well he plays.
      Yep. That's bad coaching. I read something about Stevens talking about preparation bc he has so many adjustments running through his mind in game. Compare that to Casey saying he has to limit adjustments bc "he's not that smart". If I'm ujiri I'd be pulling that quote at his yr end review, right before I fire him.
      Unfortunately/fortunately, I see this team showing improvement vs Cavs in the playoffs and masai holding off on firing Casey.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        Because Ibaka was still on the court when JV subbed out? The same way it's hard for JV to sub himself out in the first quarter, it's difficult to sub JV out with a player who was sharing the court with him at the time of the substitution.

And wasn't 2Pat on a minutes restriction? Let's keep in mind this was the first game with the new additions, and the first game with Patterson back from almost a month off with an injury. I'd guess that the rotations are work in progress and suggest we wait more than one game before losing our minds about it. And once again, Bebe got his lowest amount of playing time in a game since mid-November... things are trending how you want them to. He played very little, even if the minutes he did get were especially painful.
        Did you miss the half dozen starts where Nogueira started at PF and played backup C? Not really very hard at all to make a rotation work like that.

None of any of the logic you present supports JV playing only 18 minutes total. It's silly.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So, it might actually be a very realistic possibility that JV doesn't see another 4th quarter minute for the rest of the season.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• well, at least we know where Casey stands. as if we didn't already know he hates valanciunas.

JV played fantastic. 15 and 7 on 7/8 and playing great defence next to Ibaka and Casey still won't play him in the 4th even when Nurkic went into the game. There's legitimately nothing else he could have done. Casey has made up his mind.

Luckily it didn't cost us tonight. but i expect it will in the playoffs.

Hopefully for his sake he gets traded to the spurs. that's where i'd be trying to go if i were him. actual perimeter defenders to play with and coaches who know what they're doing.

Comment

• ^ Yup, it's clear as day how the team views him. He's done here. I'll be very shocked if he's back next season.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                ^ Yup, it's clear as day how the team views him. He's done here. I'll be very shocked if he's back next season.
                well i don't know if it's the team as a whole but it's damn sure the coach at least.

Oh well, for now we're going for the postseason, so who cares how many minutes he plays if we win.

I still predict that our playoff success is going to hinge on what we get from him. whether it's due to his own individual efforts or due to what the coach does remains to be seen.

Comment

• Ibaka has made some really good passes to the big fella. I don't think Serge is aware he's supposed to be ignored on offense. Casey better clean that up

Comment

• anyways, non role-related, JV's jumper is fucking smooth lately. Was kind of wishing he'd taken that 3 tonight lol.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      JV played fantastic. 15 and 7 on 7/8 and playing great defence next to Ibaka and Casey still won't play him in the 4th even when Nurkic went into the game. There's legitimately nothing else he could have done. Casey has made up his mind.

This is what I don't think people realize is the root problem with Casey, and is something that is masked by our talent and win-loss record.

He is an incredibly rigid-thinking coach. Once he has a few rules of thumb for himself, like "JV is bad on D so don't play him in the 4th", he does not deviate from them.

In the regular season against bad teams you can get away with that.

In the playoffs against good teams with coaches who make adjustments, you cannot get away with it. We'll get through the first round, maybe even the second, because we are simply too talented now. But we will be outcoached because Casey is so predictable.

Comment

• The thing is the closing lineup this time actually does make sense. This isn't a case of closing with biyombo and off-def subs which were dumb af. Ibaka at five to close makes sense.

Comment

• Has anyone considered JV might be okay with his role on one of the best teams in the NBA? I mean yes I'm sure he wants more time and touches, as do 80% of players in the NBA likely, but he might figure this is much better than potentially going to a terrible team and getting more touches. The fact he hasn't complained yet makes it, in my opinion, more likely that he's never going to complain rather than this situation going to explode soon. If we were constantly losing and he was getting very few minutes then it might be different. Basically I'm just trying to say don't assume because he doesn't get many touches that he's miserable and hates Casey, he's still always up on the bench cheering and what not.

Or he might just have Stockholm Syndrome with Casey, that's much more likely.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                            The thing is the closing lineup this time actually does make sense. This isn't a case of closing with biyombo and off-def subs which were dumb af. Ibaka at five to close makes sense.
                            sure, but it won't always make sense. Casey, though, has "liability" pounded into the rock he calls a brain, so even when JV is the right guy to play (for example against nurkic), it won't happen.

Comment

sure, but it won't always make sense. Casey, though, has "liability" pounded into the rock he calls a brain, so even when JV is the right guy to play (for example against nurkic), it won't happen.
                              Sure but it's not like Ibaka is the wrong guy to play against nurkic. If nurkic was killin him ok fine, but he wasn't. So really it's a toss up and not the wrong move.

Comment

well, at least we know where Casey stands. as if we didn't already know he hates valanciunas.

Luckily it didn't cost us tonight. but i expect it will in the playoffs.

Hopefully for his sake he gets traded to the spurs. that's where i'd be trying to go if i were him. actual perimeter defenders to play with and coaches who know what they're doing.
                                I now actively want the Raptors to trade JV. They don't deserve him.

Comment

Working...
                                X