Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    This is what I don't think people realize is the root problem with Casey, and is something that is masked by our talent and win-loss record.

He is an incredibly rigid-thinking coach. Once he has a few rules of thumb for himself, like "JV is bad on D so don't play him in the 4th", he does not deviate from them.

In the regular season against bad teams you can get away with that.

In the playoffs against good teams with coaches who make adjustments, you cannot get away with it. We'll get through the first round, maybe even the second, because we are simply too talented now. But we will be outcoached because Casey is so predictable.
    For such a "rigid" coach he sure does experiment with some interesting lineups.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      He made adjustments at the half that i liked. I liked the Delon,norm, Tucker, pat, yak lineup.
      I think there's a way to use JV and he needs to fix that still.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        Only when he's forced to because of injuries.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
          sure, but it won't always make sense. Casey, though, has "liability" pounded into the rock he calls a brain, so even when JV is the right guy to play (for example against nurkic), it won't happen.
          the worst of this is that JV will have no exp finishing games on the line. and even come playoff time, where Casey is forced to play him to close the game, it's a high possibility JV might stumble;/

Comment

• Cross wrote: View Post
            the worst of this is that JV will have no exp finishing games on the line. and even come playoff time, where Casey is forced to play him to close the game, it's a high possibility JV might stumble;/
            JV has shown the ability to finish playoff games in the past, when he is used properly. If Casey uses the correct strategy at the appropriate time, the players understand what tactics to use.

Comment

• Cross wrote: View Post
              He's not going to close games ever from now on. Not that it happened much before the trade.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                He's not going to close games ever from now on. Not that it happened much before the trade.
                And that's fine. They didn't have a better option before (seriously, BeBe was a disaster in the clutch, and there weren't many matchups where Pat at C was viable). I'm one of JV's biggest backers, and I don't think he should be closing with Ibaka/Pat or Ibaka/PJ available to crush teams' spirits defensively.

The real issue is him not getting 26-30 minutes. There is zero reason for BeBe or Poeltl to play over JV if Ibaka is soaking up C minutes.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  And that's fine. They didn't have a better option before (seriously, BeBe was a disaster in the clutch, and there weren't many matchups where Pat at C was viable). I'm one of JV's biggest backers, and I don't think he should be closing with Ibaka/Pat or Ibaka/PJ available to crush teams' spirits defensively.

The real issue is him not getting 26-30 minutes. There is zero reason for BeBe or Poeltl to play over JV if Ibaka is soaking up C minutes.
                  I can think of one reason. If he's not going to be here next year, you probably want to start getting those guys minutes as long as it's not costing you wins.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                    I can think of one reason. If he's not going to be here next year, you probably want to start getting those guys minutes as long as it's not costing you wins.
                    If they are doing it to save money long term, BeBe still doesn't make much sense as he'll be due for a raise after next season.

And if it continues, it will cost the team wins, in all likelihood, especially in the playoffs.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Let's hold our shit before declaring "well if Casey won't play JV 5 more mpg like I want him too, then fuck it all trade Valanciunas he shouldn't even be here!" That seems kind of extreme.

The FA's, tax implications, and younger guys waiting in the wings are going to determine who's on the roster next year and that's going to go a long way to determining who's getting minutes.

For the rest of this year, there are now a lot of bodies in the frontcourt and if they're getting 15/7 out of JV in 22 min like last night vs. Portland, that's not exactly a problem while Casey is trying different lineups with two new guys to integrate, especially when it's resulted in another win. I would have preferred to see JV in the fourth too, but I can understand he's giving Poeltl and Bebe turns with certain lineups to see how their mobility looks + works, which admittedly is better than JV's extending out to the 3 pt line.

It's a deep team right now which means some guys who arguably deserve more minutes are not going to get them. There's going to be some experimenting right now, there should be some tightening up of the rotation in the playoffs, and matchups are going to determine a lot in the playoffs. If the Raptors face off against 7 footers in the postseason and JV beasts like he did last year, I don't think you'll see Casey trying out a new Poeltl lineup in the 4th quarter. The postseason's going to be different.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• JV will play 20-25 minutes a night. One night might be more because of match ups. 10-15 minutes will be given to Bebe or Yak. Depending on whose playing well.

JV has accepted his role on this team. I think it's time most of you accept it as well.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• When we face a legit contender like the Cav's, and they go small, should JV be in the line up to close the game?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            When we face a legit contender like the Cav's, and they go small, should JV be in the line up to close the game?
                            no

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Let's hold our shit before declaring "well if Casey won't play JV 5 more mpg like I want him too, then fuck it all trade Valanciunas he shouldn't even be here!" That seems kind of extreme.

The FA's, tax implications, and younger guys waiting in the wings are going to determine who's on the roster next year and that's going to go a long way to determining who's getting minutes.

For the rest of this year, there are now a lot of bodies in the frontcourt and if they're getting 15/7 out of JV in 22 min like last night vs. Portland, that's not exactly a problem while Casey is trying different lineups with two new guys to integrate, especially when it's resulted in another win. I would have preferred to see JV in the fourth too, but I can understand he's giving Poeltl and Bebe turns with certain lineups to see how their mobility looks + works, which admittedly is better than JV's extending out to the 3 pt line.

It's a deep team right now which means some guys who arguably deserve more minutes are not going to get them. There's going to be some experimenting right now, there should be some tightening up of the rotation in the playoffs, and matchups are going to determine a lot in the playoffs. If the Raptors face off against 7 footers in the postseason and JV beasts like he did last year, I don't think you'll see Casey trying out a new Poeltl lineup in the 4th quarter. The postseason's going to be different.
                              Yeah, but if the post-season is going to include lots of JV-and-bench minutes, I'd like to see JV and the bench get a few minutes together to build some chemistry, or to at least prove to themselves that it works. Last thing I want is a repeat of 2014-15 when Hansbrough was suddenly the starting PF right at the end of the year, screwing up the rotation. They should use this month to solidify the rotation, not to continue tinkering with pieces that, if all goes well, will not be seeing non-garbage time minutes in the playoffs.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                JV will play 20-25 minutes a night. One night might be more because of match ups. 10-15 minutes will be given to Bebe or Yak. Depending on whose playing well.

JV has accepted his role on this team. I think it's time most of you accept it as well.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X