No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hopeful that he can find his game again before the playoffs roll around, or that he'll be particularly useful against a certain match up in the post season, but right now it seems pretty obvious that the Raptors are a better team without him on the court.

Part of what is really burying JV is that after the trade deadline, the Raptors have some legit small ball line ups now. It's not like Casey is trotting out Bebe to close games with a marginally better or worse performance than what Jonas would have given you... the rotation of 2Pat/Ibaka/Tucker and specifically the Tucker/Ibaka combo has been so much better defensively in the last few games that you'd have a hard time seeing Casey veer away from it. Hell, let's be honest - even if that lineup struggled mightily Casey would probably stick with it so while it's performing like it currently is, JV has almost no hope of seeing the court in crunch time.

Comment

• What are the teams that he can be traded to? He'd be great on the Celtics lol.
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
        What are the teams that he can be traded to? He'd be great on the Celtics lol.
        Lol have Amir and JV starting games together again
        OG is our king

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
          What are the teams that he can be traded to? He'd be great on the Celtics lol.
          Don't see us trading him to a division rival.

Bulls, Bucks, Hornets, Kings, Suns look like they could be in the market for centers.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
            Don't see us trading him to a division rival.

Bulls, Bucks, Hornets, Kings, Suns look like they could be in the market for centers.
            Trade him to the Bulls and then he'll be a Raptor killer for the rest of his career.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Get him to the spurs, pop will turn him into a poor man's duncan.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I don't think there will be a really big trade market for him, nor do I think that trading JV is going to significantly bite the Raptors in the butt over the next couple of years... but I'm hopeful they will find a landing spot for Jonas that allows him to play a little bit more and gives the Raptors something back in return - whether it's salary relief or some other asset.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                  Well, i won't argue that the situation probably isn't ideal for him and is probably bringing him down,but I'm not sure this is evidence. I will say that i haven't seen JV express much emotion while on the bench, like, ever.

Last game he was pretty bad, but tonight I honestly didn't really see him doing anything memorable whatsoever, good or bad really. he isn't a part of this team anymore, i guess.

i guess you trade him this summer if you're set on the ibaka/lowry/derozan core at this point. Gotta say it's pretty crazy that you're going to end up giving him up for cap space one year removed from that pacers series.
                  Sorry man. I don't think all hope is lost. We will still need him at times and he's a good player. There's still a lot of time and factors between now and next yr.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                    Sorry man. I don't think all hope is lost. We will still need him at times and he's a good player. There's still a lot of time and factors between now and next yr.
                    i don't see any reason to keep him if casey is going to be the coach next year, in any case.

although as you know i also don't think casey should be our coach already, so there's that.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      i don't see any reason to keep him if casey is going to be the coach next year, in any case.

although as you know i also don't think casey should be our coach already, so there's that.
                      Maybe he gets fired...

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                        I don't think there will be a really big trade market for him, nor do I think that trading JV is going to significantly bite the Raptors in the butt over the next couple of years... but I'm hopeful they will find a landing spot for Jonas that allows him to play a little bit more and gives the Raptors something back in return - whether it's salary relief or some other asset.
                        He definitely has positive value. You're not going to have to "pay" somebody to take him, and if you did then no way in hell you trade him. He's still going to have night THIS SEASON where you'll need him, he'll get you 20 pts or 15 rebounds in 25/30 min of work. Trust me.

Salary will definitely need to be shaved this summer but with a possivle exception to a carroll deal, you need assets back for these guys, picks or youth. These are real nice players, jv and cojo. Theyre not washed up bums on bad contracts
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• It's been a real rough stretch for JV without Lowry.

Really, really odd that they aren't trying to find multiple looks to get him a chance to succeed - it's just him with the starters (with CoJo and DD sharing the backcourt the spacing is as cramped as those ugly lineups with Siakam in them) and then straight to the bench.

Remember the first 50 games of the year where Pat and JV played really well together? And like, all of last year? Since the break, the pair has somehow played only 9 minutes together. Total.

These past two games in particular it was odd that the bench unit was run out there with no JV - who was lining up at C for the Wiz in those bench units? Perhaps a name that might invoke a memory of a recent first round series wherein JV was pretty dominant. At least tonight Casey was smart and had a veteran out there with those lineups (mostly Ibaka and a little of Pat) rather than Poeltl. But those guys are playing a lot of minutes and if you want to close games with them, fine, but you have to get them some rest and you have to find a way to use JV, at least for this stretch run, even if you eventually decide to move him (for the record, not a fan of that idea).

I do think a lot of this disappears with Lowry, but it's still disappointing to watch him struggle so much. Hopefully he has a nice bounce back game tomorrow. Using him more away from CoJo/DeMar would help (and more specifically, with Delon, who looks like a great pick and roll partner right now), but ultimately it is on him to find that energy in his game again. Would go a long way to turning these grind it out affairs into something a little easier (and easier on the eyes).
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Desperate times. Jonas will be needed down the stretch though, and those screens are going to be huge in the playoffs.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Desperate times. Jonas will be needed down the stretch though, and those screens are going to be huge in the playoffs.
                              Rebounding is going to be huge to in the Playoffs, especially against the Cavs. If Ibaka and Patterson stay out there together too long, Tristan Thompson will be living life grabbing rebounds.

Comment

• JV really should be anchoring those bench units, would provide an inside-out option for those who need their offense to come from the flow of the offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X