Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Wait, we would have? Last summer was when Milwaukee was trying their darnedest to move Monroe and couldn't find a single taker.
    Last summer was arguably JV's peak and Monroe's valley when it comes to trade value so probably not a great comparison.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
      I guess I'm old because "wait" is "trending" as a rhetorical device. Well, "I'm like so over it" but "do you, bruh." "I'm jk", Dan. " "
      WTF?

When did English get so complicated....
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Who would of thought that JV's inability to guard on the perimeter would affect his game this way.

If only someone saw this coming. All jokes aside pretty disappointed that Masai didn't see this coming. We would of gotten such good return for JV last summer.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        Please list for me the legit bigs (ie not a guy like Thad Young who plays PF but is basically a big SF) who are capable of guarding on the perimeter.

Even quicker guys like Thompson get killed out there. So I really don't know what fucking point you're trying to make. If your D relies on switching bigs onto smalls, then you're going to get killed no matter what. That's not what SAS, MEM or CHA do, and they've consistently ranked high on team D with slow bigs, who are even sometimes downright terrible defensive bigs (mostly in Charlotte's case).

We could great return for JV on the court if we just had any clue how to maximize our pieces.

*But yeah, please give me a list of such bigs, especially since you also expect them to be able to shut down everything at the rim too. So to recap, you want a C who's capable of shutting down the p'n'r on the perimeter, capable of switching, and capable of being an imposing rim protector. I'll wait for you to try and come up with anybody besides Anthony Davis.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 7, 2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
          Last summer was arguably JV's peak and Monroe's valley when it comes to trade value so probably not a great comparison.
          It was a symptom of the league, not the player. Monroe has been exceptionally steady with what he provides - borderline starting quality PF/C play, as a post scorer and solid rebounder with iffy defence. JV is probably a small notch above that in terms of perception, but not a leap (though with his age there is a higher ceiling than with Monroe - still, he was off his rookie scale deal last summer so it wouldn't be a huge consideration), and Monroe wasn't the only guy who wasn't moving - basically no C's have moved for value for a couple years outside of Cousins, and even the return for him was weak.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Iirc Monroe had a stretch of dnps and very limited mins (like 10 mins per). I didn't follow closely so not sure?
            Nurkic was moved and it took assets to do it but he had the attitude issue and jokic logjam. It's a positive tho that he benefited from a change of scenery which many have suggested could be the case with JV.
            Seemed like the magic pushed pretty hard to move Vuc but Hennigan was not great at his job. Obviously masai is much more competent.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Please list for me the legit bigs (ie not a guy like Thad Young who plays PF but is basically a big SF) who are capable of guarding on the perimeter.

Even quicker guys like Thompson get killed out there. So I really don't know what fucking point you're trying to make. If your D relies on switching bigs onto smalls, then you're going to get killed no matter what. That's not what SAS, MEM or CHA do, and they've consistently ranked high on team D with slow bigs, who are even sometimes downright terrible defensive bigs (mostly in Charlotte's case).

We could great return for JV on the court if we just had any clue how to maximize our pieces.

*But yeah, please give me a list of such bigs, especially since you also expect them to be able to shut down everything at the rim too. So to recap, you want a C who's capable of shutting down the p'n'r on the perimeter, capable of switching, and capable of being an imposing rim protector. I'll wait for you to try and come up with anybody besides Anthony Davis.
              I've been thinking about it a bit, and the only guy who fits that bill other than Davis, in the sense of having the talent to play big minutes, and be able to consistently defend in all those facets is Nerlens Noel (and you can argue that maybe he isn't quite the talent, or needs to show more that you'd be comfortable with him playing starter's minutes).

Jordan is too slow to use him heavily on the perimeter to hedge or switch. He's athletic enough in terms of explosiveness and long enough that he can do it at times (because he can make a surprising recovery to contest), but you wouldn't want that to be your primary way of using him on D. Gobert is not quick and is at his best if he doesn't have to go far out of the paint (he really gets by with his crazy length). Ibaka would fit the bill a few years ago, and he's still pretty solid all around and can do all things at times, but not at the level he was once able to and certainly not consistently. A lot of other athletic Cs like Drummond and Whiteside are actually quite terrible in space on the perimeter. Biyombo's not a good enough talent that you'd want him on the court that much, nor does he consistently do all those things (but can at times).

Now some guys I mention (and some I don't) are better than JV defensively, but it mostly has nothing to do with any of their ability to guard on the perimeter.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 7, 2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• From reddit, what could have been....

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  From reddit, what could have been....

Is it at all possibly for JV to lose a bunch of weight and regain his quickness?

Comment

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                      Is it at all possibly for JV to lose a bunch of weight and regain his quickness?
                      No unless you want him to lose his muscle mass.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Is his muscle mass that important? More so than quickness?

Comment

Does he need as much muscle mass playing in today's NBA?

The gam has changed dramatically in 6 years. If he lost 25 pounds and worked all summer on foot speed?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Does he need as much muscle mass playing in today's NBA?

The gam has changed dramatically in 6 years. If he lost 25 pounds and worked all summer on foot speed?
                            Obviously it's up to the Raptors on what to do with JV but in my opinion it's unhealthy to lose muscle mass. Not only it will be harder to lose fat, but It also results in a loss of balance and why would you put yourself to sarcopenia risk, I mean it's not like he's 20 years old.

He should just keep eating right and working on reactivity, technique, multi-directional and chaos speed exercises. That's the only way to get quicker. Unless he got fat to lose.
                            Last edited by rocwell; Sat Jun 10, 2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Obviously it's up to the Raptors on what to do with JV but in my opinion it's unhealthy to lose muscle mass. Not only it will be harder to lose fat, but It also results in a loss of balance and why would you put yourself to sarcopenia risk, I mean it's not like he's 20 years old.

He should just keep eating right and working on reactivity, technique, multi-directional and chaos speed exercises. That's the only way to get quicker. Unless he got fat to lose.
                              Just by looking at him it seems like he could cut. Just from appearance it looks like he's been bulking for way too long.

Comment

Everyone is going on about weight, but I assumed this was 'would could have been' if we passed him the ball.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X