Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post
    That was a great D by JV

decent defence, better offence, a bit of a soft foul. Porzingis is pretty smooth.

Comment

• Haven't seen JV move laterally like that in some time. Great to see.

Comment

• JV has been getting an awfully hard time over at that other site, I guess they were expecting him to revolutionize his game in one offseason? Anyway, I haven't watched the games, but the production seems to be there - as is usually the case with Jonas - and he appears pretty fit.

And do you remember another Raptor player who many said was too "robotic" at age 24? Say what you want a out JV and his practice-regimen but he's going to have an incredible amount of high level (and winning) basketball under his belt before the age of 25.

Comment

• hey guys, i'm searching the fiba site for international scores and can't find where you guys are referencing the brazillian stats or lithuania vs latvia, all i see is that the euro basket starts aug 31

Comment

That was a great D by JV

It really was, and serves as a perfect example why he's going to continue to have a hard time staying on the court. That was a 7 footer that did that to him. What's JV expected to be able to do against the even faster, smaller players he gets matched up against when teams go small?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              It really was, and serves as a perfect example why he's going to continue to have a hard time staying on the court. That was a 7 footer that did that to him. What's JV expected to be able to do against the even faster, smaller players he gets matched up against when teams go small?
              Porzingis very rarely plays 5 in the NBA. He's 4.

Comment

Porzingis very rarely plays 5 in the NBA. He's 4.
                Sure, but the point is that at JV's best he still isn't going to be able to defend the big he's tasked with guarding when the opposing team plays a small ball line up. On top of that Toronto wants to play a small ball line up as well. Too many factors working against JV to see a minute increase.

Comment

He nearly blocked that 7 footer. I imagine a smaller player might have a harder time getting off that shot

Comment

i'm confused.

This basket was a result of Porzingis being taller than JV, not quicker.

Against smaller guys JV would defend it the same way and probably be more successful. It's not like small forwards are starting at the 5, guys. Even in the small ball era there are really not a lot of players playing the 5 who are going to go off the dribble like KP did, and i don't really know of any who would be so much faster that JV couldn't contest if he played it the way he did here.

The knock on JV has been defending against the pick and pop, not this.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                      He nearly blocked that 7 footer. I imagine a smaller player might have a harder time getting off that shot
                      Wouldn't you imagine that the smaller player would be quicker than KP and thus much more clear to get his shot off?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        i'm confused.

This basket was a result of Porzingis being taller than JV, not quicker.

Against smaller guys JV would defend it the same way and probably be more successful. It's not like small forwards are starting at the 5, guys. Even in the small ball era there are really not a lot of players playing the 5 who are going to go off the dribble like KP did, and i don't really know of any who would be so much faster that JV couldn't contest if he played it the way he did here.

The knock on JV has been defending against the pick and pop, not this.
                        As I said earlier, it's an example. He's not going to be defending the same play every possession. JV wasn't quick enough to stay in front of a fellow 7 footer. When a team goes smaller JV will be guarding a player quicker than KP. Again, just one example.

Comment

• I'd say that was a lucky shot. With defense like that, I'd give anyone that shot.

Comment

As I said earlier, it's an example. He's not going to be defending the same play every possession. JV wasn't quick enough to stay in front of a fellow 7 footer. When a team goes smaller JV will be guarding a player quicker than KP. Again, just one example.
                            Quickness was not the problem on that play. Porzingis is just really hard to block.

Anyway, this is way too much analysis for one hook shot LOL

Comment

• LJ2 makes a valid point. There's a reason why the coach bench him after that play. That's probably as quick as JV can move but, I've seen KP make quicker moves than that play. It's not about the one play. It's about if the coach thinks JV can do that consistently. Obviously he doesn't.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                ...It's not about the one play. It's about if the coach thinks JV can do that consistently. Obviously he doesn't.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                I would say it is about the coach seeing that JV against Porzingis is a bad matchup for Porzingis. If there were 28 other Porzingi in the NBA, the Raptors would be in big trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X