Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    And a pick. You guys know that no wants JV right? Which is why he is still on the team after being shopped this summer. Really dont know what you guys are expecting out of a JV trade. Getting serviceable player and pick would good return for where his value is right now.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Listen, i'm not the biggest JV fan around here. But he's a 10/10 player and is only what, 25 years old? i think this is what he is. But that is still pretty good.

So why would you trade that type of player for a role player who's PAST his prime? lol c'mon man.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      Listen, i'm not the biggest JV fan around here. But he's a 10/10 player and is only what, 25 years old? i think this is what he is. But that is still pretty good.

So why would you trade that type of player for a role player who's PAST his prime? lol c'mon man.
      Danny Green is in his prime actually. One of the best shooters in the league. Holds the record for most 3s made in the finals. In a 3 point driven league. If this was 5 years ago JV would get you more but, it's not. Players like JV are mostly used as 6 man. Kanter and Monroe come to mind. The reason JV started is cause we didn't have a better option. With Ibaka/Yak I believe we do for the way this team wants to play.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        All signs from last season suggest that JV and Ibaka will be essentially co-third-options. After the all-star break, Serge carried a 21% usage to JV's 19%, and in the playoffs they carried 23% and 22% usage respectively. In the regular season, JV carried a 19% usage with Ibaka on the floor with him, and 20% usage without him. Same story in the playoffs - 21% with, 23% without. Tiny differences.
        Offensive rebounding factors into usage. The gap is wider than the percentages suggest given JV is a much better offensive rebounder than Ibaka and gets more of his scoring chances from putbacks than Ibaka does. Kenneth Faried also has had a usage around 20% most of his career partly due to this.

JV came off the bench for 4 playoff games. 2 of his highest usage playoff games were off the bench and his highest usage game was off the bench where he had 34% usage and scored 23 points. So that just helps make my case for him to be 6th man if anything.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          And a pick. You guys know that no wants JV right? Which is why he is still on the team after being shopped this summer. Really dont know what you guys are expecting out of a JV trade. Getting serviceable player and pick would good return for where his value is right now.

When is the last time the Spurs traded a 1st round pick? 2009?

And Danny Green is 30. I guess you could argue he fits the team timeline better than JV but it would be a stupid reason.

Also, while I doubt it's 100% accurate, you could at least attempt to run it through the ESPN Trade Machine first.
          Last edited by Mess; Fri Sep 1, 2017, 02:16 PM.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            You hardly ever see 6th man centres for a reason. Rotationally it rarely makes sense, and is only a last resort. OKC does it with Kanter because they fucked up thinking he could play next to Adams.

Also consider that JV is on the block and moving him to the bench has negative implications for his already-low trade value.

Your arguments are reasonable but there are much bigger overriding factors at play here. At the end of the day whether JV is a starter or not isn't likely to matter because Casey will sit him for Ibaka as soon as he can.
            You don't get it. I don't want JV to be sat. I want him to play as much as he is now, but I want it to be when he can be maximized. I'm not anti-JV. I'm anti-starting an offense only player with a lineup where his offense will not be fucking used properly.

If DeRozan was the 4th option with the starters I'd want him to come off the bench, because at that point his defensive issues become a massive negative that he isn't making up for with his offense.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
              When is the last time the Spurs traded a 1st round pick? 2009?

And Danny Green is 30. I guess you could argue he fits the team timeline better than JV but it would be a stupid reason.
              He fits the timeline and fits better with how the team wants to play. Obviously you dont do it if they are not willing to throw a pick in.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Also here's another argument. If we DO trade JV, that means Poeltl likely becomes the starter. Why not get him integrated right now instead of waiting until February and making chemistry excuses like we did with Ibaka last year? Plus we can figure out more long-term with our lineups.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                  Also here's another argument. If we DO trade JV, that means Poeltl likely becomes the starter. Why not get him integrated right now instead of waiting until February and making chemistry excuses like we did with Ibaka last year? Plus we can figure out more long-term with our lineups.
                  If we do trade JV, it will be next spring/summer, in all likelihood, not in-season.

We don't need to start Poeltl to play him with the starters sometimes. Heck, in my articles I explicitly suggest Poeltl should be getting short shift minutes with the starters (to off-set JV's time with the Lowry bench unit). Doesn't mean he should be thrown out there against starters full time.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    If we do trade JV, it will be next spring/summer, in all likelihood, not in-season.

We don't need to start Poeltl to play him with the starters sometimes. Heck, in my articles I explicitly suggest Poeltl should be getting short shift minutes with the starters (to off-set JV's time with the Lowry bench unit). Doesn't mean he should be thrown out there against starters full time.
                    I'm on the same page as you --I just don't see JV going anywhere in season. How he is used will be the issue.

Comment

• Will it really be an issue? I mean...to the team, Casey, Poeltl, Ibaka and JV? Everything is an issue to us.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        Also here's another argument. If we DO trade JV, that means Poeltl likely becomes the starter. Why not get him integrated right now instead of waiting until February and making chemistry excuses like we did with Ibaka last year? Plus we can figure out more long-term with our lineups.
                        You really see JV getting traded in season? I see him being moved in the summer as it looks like Masai just wants cap space out of any JV deal.. and teams will be cash strapped all season long.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          You really see JV getting traded in season? I see him being moved in the summer as it looks like Masai just wants cap space out of any JV deal.. and teams will be cash strapped all season long.
                          I can see an in season trade of JV. If MU is all in on this core then he has to add another piece. JV and Norm to me are top candidates to be packaged.

Comment

• The only way JV gets moved is if his market value goes up..... which means he either needs to be lockdown on D or get more offensive touches. The other thing JV needs to focus in on is not getting into foul trouble. If he can keep the other team from getting to the line, he'll get more minutes. The more minutes he gets, the more of the ball he'll see (hopefully).
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                              The only way JV gets moved is if his market value goes up..... which means he either needs to be lockdown on D or get more offensive touches. The other thing JV needs to focus in on is not getting into foul trouble. If he can keep the other team from getting to the line, he'll get more minutes. The more minutes he gets, the more of the ball he'll see (hopefully).
                              Or if he's packaged with someone with more value. If the Cav's decide to rebuild would they want Norm and JV (future pick(s) for say Kevin Love?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Or if he's packaged with someone with more value. If the Cav's decide to rebuild would they want Norm and JV (future pick(s) for say Kevin Love?
                                This would probably be a summer move. I can't see Cleveland weakening their team mid-season, they will try to make another go at the title this year to attempt to keep LBJ happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X