Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Or if he's packaged with someone with more value. If the Cav's decide to rebuild would they want Norm and JV (future pick(s) for say Kevin Love?
    They say no instantly..... they have their Centers already in Thompson (Who might be a trade chip at this point) & seem to be high on Zizic, the piece no one is talking about in the Kyrie trade (Seriously, the kid can play!).

If you really want to deal JV, you talk to teams that could use a center like him. Teams that come to mind are as follows: San Antonio, Atlanta, Boston, maybe Memphis & possibly Phoenix.
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      Also here's another argument. If we DO trade JV, that means Poeltl likely becomes the starter. Why not get him integrated right now instead of waiting until February and making chemistry excuses like we did with Ibaka last year? Plus we can figure out more long-term with our lineups.
      The benefit of starting Poeltl early is less than the value hit JV takes if you send him to the bench.

His value is really low. Bench him and you risk making him completely immovable. Like Kanter.

Comment

• Probably not legit but, I've seen a couple tweets about how Raps/Cavs have discussed a Thomson/Valanciunas swap.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Probably not legit but, I've seen a couple tweets about how Raps/Cavs have discussed a Thomson/Valanciunas swap.

nahhh not worth it

https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

Comment

Probably not legit but, I've seen a couple tweets about how Raps/Cavs have discussed a Thomson/Valanciunas swap.

Can't see how that makes much sense. Would make us better defensively but TT also has a bigger contract, which would put us into the luxury tax for sure. MLSE has clearly been trying to avoid that so I can't see a JV-TT swap going down at all.

Comment

Can't see how that makes much sense. Would make us better defensively but TT also has a bigger contract, which would put us into the luxury tax for sure. MLSE has clearly been trying to avoid that so I can't see a JV-TT swap going down at all.
              TT only makes like 1 million more than JV. Same lenght of contract. TT would make the D a lot better. Also doesn't need the ball, took 4 lets shots a game compared to JV I believe. Which would be perfect next to Deebo/Klow/Ibaka. Dont lose anything on the glass either. Just a better fit all around. Really dont think you can any better in a JV trade right now.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

TT only makes like 1 million more than JV. Same lenght of contract. TT would make the D a lot better. Also doesn't need the ball, took 4 lets shots a game compared to JV I believe. Which would be perfect next to Deebo/Klow/Ibaka. Dont lose anything on the glass either. Just a better fit all around. Really dont think you can any better in a JV trade right now.

I'd rather just start Poeltl. There's no need to acquire another average center that makes just as much money as JV.

Comment

TT makes a lot of sense from the perspective of fit with Lowry & DD. He's a low-usage big who can finish above the rim (i.e. broken play lobs from Lowry) and can grab offensive rebounds when DD & Lowry ISO possessions end badly. On defense, TT is mobile enough to allow Lowry & DD to conserve energy by bailing them at the rim when they get blown by on the perimeter. Basically, he's a less athletic version of Biz, who fit perfectly with Lowry & DD. They don't need to call any plays for him or worry about keeping him happy on offense, like they need to do with JV.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    TT makes a lot of sense from the perspective of fit with Lowry & DD. He's a low-usage big who can finish above the rim (i.e. broken play lobs from Lowry) and can grab offensive rebounds when DD & Lowry ISO possessions end badly. On defense, TT is mobile enough to allow Lowry & DD to conserve energy by bailing them at the rim when they get blown by on the perimeter. Basically, he's a less athletic version of Biz, who fit perfectly with Lowry & DD. They don't need to call any plays for him or worry about keeping him happy on offense, like they need to do with JV.
                    I agree he makes sense and fits better than JV with the starters, but I feel like Poeltl can also do exactly what you described for 1/10th of the cost. That's why I've been advocating starting him over JV all summer.

I'd still like to have JV's offensive option off the bench though. I just feel like if we make that type of trade this team is really lacking in talent offensively. You've got two guys who can create a bucket in Lowry/DD and then Ibaka who's an ok 3rd scoring option then a whole bunch young guys who are better defensive prospects than scorers/creators and CJ Miles.

Anyway I can't see that trade happening regardless. Puts the team into the luxury tax for sure on our end, and for Cleveland, it guarantees that they aren't beating the Warriors, because they then have 2 bigs who can't defend against them instead of just 1.

Comment

I agree he makes sense and fits better than JV with the starters, but I feel like Poeltl can also do exactly what you described for 1/10th of the cost. That's why I've been advocating starting him over JV all summer.

I'd still like to have JV's offensive option off the bench though. I just feel like if we make that type of trade this team is really lacking in talent offensively. You've got two guys who can create a bucket in Lowry/DD and then Ibaka who's an ok 3rd scoring option then a whole bunch young guys who are better defensive prospects than scorers/creators and CJ Miles.

Anyway I can't see that trade happening regardless. Puts the team into the luxury tax for sure on our end, and for Cleveland, it guarantees that they aren't beating the Warriors, because they then have 2 bigs who can't defend against them instead of just 1.
                      Toughness is the difference. Yak will get there eventually, but he's just not in the same class as TT in terms of rebounding and finishing in traffic. Yak is still pretty soft, while TT is battle hardened with 3 straight trips to the Finals.

Comment

• Kevin Pelton touched on the whole center coming off the bench thing in his latest article. Argued that JV is a bit different from Kanter, Monroe, Vuc.

This past season in particular, we saw a trend toward teams putting their defensively challenged big men in reserve roles: Enes Kanter was the pioneer of this movement, which reached a new level with the Milwaukee Bucks giving Greg Monroe the most minutes of their centers but refusing to start him.

Bringing such players off the bench makes sense for a few reasons. Their ability to create shots is more valuable when surrounded by reserves than starters, and there are fewer dangerous pick-and-roll threats to deal with playing against second units. So I do think that's probably the future for Nikola Vucevic and players of his ilk.

Jonas Valanciunas is in a slightly different category because he at least brings capable rim protection. In his case, a bench role might be more about finding a way to feature him offensively than it is hiding him defensively -- at least during the regular season.
                        http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...l-james-harden

I do agree that JV is a little better defensively than those other guys, so he's easier to keep on the floor than them, but he also points out the utility in bringing him and other such players off the bench. Some of the points are ones that I've been making here.

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/7robo.tas/v...type=2&theater
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• 10 pts & 6rbs for JV in the 1st quarter against Ukraine.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                              10 pts & 6rbs for JV in the 1st quarter against Ukraine.

Comment

• Early in the 2nd quarter with JV on the bench Ukraine made a huge comeback... things stabilized towards the end.
                                44-30 for Lithuania at half. JV with 14 pts 8 rbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X