X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas is balling against Germany. 23 PTS / 14 REB, two mins to go

Lithuania is known for lead in actions.
    Imagine that, running plays to get your best player the ball. Shame they couldn't do that in Rio last year.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
      People are out here acting like Jakob has proven so much. The man barely played last season like chill. Let him prove he deserves to start over JV before we go giving him the starter role.
      Once he becomes good enough to start, this team will be very dangerous.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        Valanciunas is balling against Germany. 23 PTS / 14 REB, two mins to go

Lithuania is known for lead in actions.
        A few examples of this play in these highlights:

Pretty simple play but it gets the ball into the post before the other team can push JV out.

Also a nice kick-out + re-post in that video.

If we could see that set play and active re-posting in good opportunities after a kick-out I think it'd help the raptors a lot.

Comment

• If we had a more sophisticated offense or creative coach we really could maximize JV as a 6th man and give teams different looks offensively with different lineups.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
            If we had a more sophisticated offense or creative coach we really could maximize JV as a 6th man and give teams different looks offensively with different lineups.
            If we had a more sophisticated offense or creative coach we could really maximize JV as a starter.

Comment

• Do you really need a sophisticated offense to give a giant man the ball when he's near the hoop?

Comment

If we had a more sophisticated offense or creative coach we really could maximize JV as a 6th man and give teams different looks offensively with different lineups.
                Or, you know, allow the starting 5 to give opponent fits with multiple looks and scoring options, as opposed to the 'give it to Will' style offense that Casey often resorts to with DeRozan and Lowry. With no inside presence (and no, defenses will not actively defend Poeltl/Siakam, nor should they) and minimal reliable 3pt shooting, defenses will be able to key in on DeRozan/Lowry even more.

JV will never be a 6th man, in the mold of microwave scoring 6th men. Casey likes to run the same offensive sets with all lineups, which is why it's critical to have either Lowry or DeRozan on the court at all times. It also allows players to be comfortable playing in any variation of the starting/backup lineups. To suggest that the 2nd unit will run an entirely different type of offense if JV doesn't start, is silly.

I do agree that the coach is the underlying issue, when it comes to JV's usage. JV should start alongside Lowry and DeRozan. DeRozan should go to the bench first (of those 3), allowing JV to bump up a slot in terms of offensive options with just Lowry. JV and Lowry can then go to the bench when DeRozan returns, since a DeRozan/JV lineup has proven to be ineffective even against bench lineups (though we'll need to see if that changes without Joseph in that lineup).

JV provides many intangibles to the starting lineup (ie: rebounding, setting picks, keeping the defense honest in the low-post and on P&R rolls to the basket - even if he doesn't get the ball much/enough), so I have a hard time understanding your crusade to bench him.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Or, you know, allow the starting 5 to give opponent fits with multiple looks and scoring options, as opposed to the 'give it to Will' style offense that Casey often resorts to with DeRozan and Lowry. With no inside presence (and no, defenses will not actively defend Poeltl/Siakam, nor should they) and minimal reliable 3pt shooting, defenses will be able to key in on DeRozan/Lowry even more.

JV will never be a 6th man, in the mold of microwave scoring 6th men. Casey likes to run the same offensive sets with all lineups, which is why it's critical to have either Lowry or DeRozan on the court at all times. It also allows players to be comfortable playing in any variation of the starting/backup lineups. To suggest that the 2nd unit will run an entirely different type of offense if JV doesn't start, is silly.

I do agree that the coach is the underlying issue, when it comes to JV's usage. JV should start alongside Lowry and DeRozan. DeRozan should go to the bench first (of those 3), allowing JV to bump up a slot in terms of offensive options with just Lowry. JV and Lowry can then go to the bench when DeRozan returns, since a DeRozan/JV lineup has proven to be ineffective even against bench lineups (though we'll need to see if that changes without Joseph in that lineup).

JV provides many intangibles to the starting lineup (ie: rebounding, setting picks, keeping the defense honest in the low-post and on P&R rolls to the basket - even if he doesn't get the ball much/enough), so I have a hard time understanding your crusade to bench him.
                  Nah I don't like that idea. Works better with JV as a 6th man than starting. Not enough usage to go around considering only Lowry is a good spot-up shooter out of those 4. We're not the Warriors.

Part of the problem is that JV isn't actually that good, which is why you'd want him as a 6th man not a primary offensive option in the starting unit as well. It's not like I want him carrying our offense. I want him feasting on inferior players on other team's benches.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    A few examples of this play in these highlights:

Pretty simple play but it gets the ball into the post before the other team can push JV out.

Also a nice kick-out + re-post in that video.

If we could see that set play and active re-posting in good opportunities after a kick-out I think it'd help the raptors a lot.
                    JV's hairstyle is a crime against humanity.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Bruh. He's literally never going to get it. Give it up. I'm just glad Casey is the coach and not Shaolin and you would normally never hear me say that lol
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

But we don't so...
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Nah I don't like that idea. Works better with JV as a 6th man than starting. Not enough usage to go around considering only Lowry is a good spot-up shooter out of those 4. We're not the Warriors.

Part of the problem is that JV isn't actually that good, which is why you'd want him as a 6th man not a primary offensive option in the starting unit as well. It's not like I want him carrying our offense. I want him feasting on inferior players on other team's benches.
                          Wait, only Lowry is a good spot up shooter out of which 4? If those "4" include Ibaka, or JV, or Powell, or Miles (who presumably would replace DeMar when subbed in in the above post), I have to disagree. All of them are good to great spot up shooters.

That said, I don't like that idea either. JV should come out early so he can get minutes with the Lowry lineup away from DD.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Wait, only Lowry is a good spot up shooter out of which 4? If those "4" include Ibaka, or JV, or Powell, or Miles (who presumably would replace DeMar when subbed in in the above post), I have to disagree. All of them are good to great spot up shooters.

That said, I don't like that idea either. JV should come out early so he can get minutes with the Lowry lineup away from DD.
                            That's the one thing I'm worried about. Casey never played JV enough with Lowry and the bench. It's so easy to start JV and get him in there with Lowry and the bench but Casey for some reason never does it. At least from what I can remember, maybe I'm wrong

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                              That's the one thing I'm worried about. Casey never played JV enough with Lowry and the bench. It's so easy to start JV and get him in there with Lowry and the bench but Casey for some reason never does it. At least from what I can remember, maybe I'm wrong
                              If that's actually a thing, then I would guess that Casey's reasoning would be for defensive purposes, i.e., to avoid Lowry-JV being attacked in the PnR.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                If that's actually a thing, then I would guess that Casey's reasoning would be for defensive purposes, i.e., to avoid Lowry-JV being attacked in the PnR.
                                If it can survive against starters, it can survive against benches.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X