Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    It's looking more and more like MLSE told Masai he can keep this core but, just don't go into the tax. I don't believe what Masai said about them telling him he can do what ever he wants. It sucks but, that's the name of the game.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Or Masai is telling the truth: as team president, he is allowed to go into the luxury tax, especially after four years of playoff appearances. But he simply doesn't want to, either because of how it further restricts flexibility or because he is afraid of how it would look if we paid the tax and we didn't make it out of the first or second round.

Comment

• Maybe more to the point, if he can avoid the tax in any season, he can avoid the repeater tax penalty when it is time to seriously chase a championship. If you can avoid the tax you have a two year window (as I understand it) where you can pay the tax but not the repeater. So you could absolutely do a trade or sign free agents that put you $10 or $20 million or more into tax and probably make it back, or close, with a deep playoff run (at least ECF). There's no point paying tax, and then face the penalty luxury tax if you don't have a good chance of doing that.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        It's looking more and more like MLSE told Masai he can keep this core but, just don't go into the tax. I don't believe what Masai said about them telling him he can do what ever he wants. It sucks but, that's the name of the game.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        People keep saying we had to attach a pick with Carroll in order to stay under the tax and interpret that as meaning Masai had to stay under the tax. It was just a smart business move. Would you want to pay the tax just to keep Carroll and the pick?

Comment

• Also, without shedding Carroll, no Miles. It's not the tax (though they got under that too) - it's the hard cap.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Pesonally, unless the team has a Durant or Lebron level bona fide superstar, I personally would spend up right up to the tax in the first year of it and go into it for the second year. Not because of finances but because spending into the tax really sets the cement on the team's composition, and it's easier to find that last piece before that happens.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Basically, if things go well, I see our rotation as:

Bigs: JV, Ibaka, Poeltl
              Wings: DeMar, Powell, Miles, OG
              PGs: Lowry, Wright

Those 8 guys should play every night if Powell and OG are able to fill their roles adequately.
              I like that rotation, however I do see value in FVV playing a regular role other than spot minutes. I really like the look of that Wright, FVV backcourt. So I would go 9 man rotation with someone else handling spot minutes...perhaps Bebe, or whoever happens to be earning it that week
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                I like that rotation, however I do see value in FVV playing a regular role other than spot minutes. I really like the look of that Wright, FVV backcourt. So I would go 9 man rotation with someone else handling spot minutes...perhaps Bebe, or whoever happens to be earning it that week
                But those minutes beside Wright are coming with Lowry playing preseason minutes. Assuming he'll play at least around 35+ minutes, that doesn't leave a lot of time at PG. Wright should be absorbing pretty much all that's left. So nothing is really left for Fred in terms of a regular rotation spot, and hence just spot minutes for foul trouble, injuries, and random needs like a situation where Casey may want an extra shooter on a set play or ballhandler to beat pressure (possibly having all 3 PGs on the floor even).

Fred should still see the most minutes of the fringe guys, with Siakam being next because of our lack of forwards, and Bebe last.

We still need Wright, Powell and OG to strengthen the regular rotation, otherwise we'll basically see the rotation in flux a lot.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                  I agree. I think FVV can be very valuable in limiting Lowry's minutes during the regular season, particularly against teams below .500. I'd like to see him get more than spot minutes too.

I know historically the bench has always been anchored by one of KL or DD, and that should still be the case against tougher teams, but on this weakened eastern conf, a lineup of FVV/Wright/Miles/OG/Poeltl could do a lot of damage (while also resting our starters)

There's a great chemistry with these five imo. Wright and Poeltl have always fit well together, FVV is playing very well with wright, and Miles can find loads of open looks with a backcourt that quick in transition. The D wouldn't be too shabby either with the length of wright and OG.
                  Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Oct 15, 2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                    I agree. I think FVV can be very valuable in limiting Lowry's minutes during the regular season, particularly against teams below .500. I'd like to see him get more than spot minutes too.

I know historically the bench has always been anchored by one of KL or DD, and that should still be the case against tougher teams, but on this weakened eastern conf, a lineup of FVV/Wright/Miles/OG/Poeltl could do a lot of damage (while also resting our starters)

There's a great chemistry with these five imo. Wright and Poeltl have always fit well together, FVV is playing very well with wright, and Miles can find loads of open looks with a backcourt that quick in transition. The D wouldn't be too shabby either with the length of wright and OG.
                    Its not totally unprecedented to run without KL or DD for stretches consistently when you go back to the year Lou Will was on the team. I do think the personnel is makes it easier this year compared to last year, especially if the plan is to give everone more responsibility in creating offense. Hard to not play one of Kl/DD when the offense was designed totally to them.

Comment

• Little question just to have a little fun before the season starts, do you guys think that JV will have his best season as a Raptor, statistically and overall, this year?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        Little question just to have a little fun before the season starts, do you guys think that JV will have his best season as a Raptor, statistically and overall, this year?
                        I see little reason to think he won't. He might fall short of his insane WS numbers from 15-16, but that's a high bar, and if he can improve his defence can make up the difference elsewhere.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          Little question just to have a little fun before the season starts, do you guys think that JV will have his best season as a Raptor, statistically and overall, this year?
                          Our early schedule is so rough I feel like it might complicate his situation. He looks fantastic but if we lose a ton early it may push Masai into making a move, and JV is the most likely candidate.

But if we hang on to him I'm very hopeful he busts out.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Our early schedule is so rough I feel like it might complicate his situation. He looks fantastic but if we lose a ton early it may push Masai into making a move, and JV is the most likely candidate.

But if we hang on to him I'm very hopeful he busts out.
                            I don't think Masai is going to rush into anything because of a rough month or two.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                              I don't think Masai is going to rush into anything because of a rough month or two.
                              He'll evaluate
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• If a good deal is there, I think this is the time to trade JV. Poeltl is ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X