Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    If a good deal is there, I think this is the time to trade JV. Poeltl is ready.
    For a team that wants to compete now, I don't think it makes sense to shatter depth at Center for cap relief.

Comment

This is clear but the question is where do you get a good deal? There's not much demand for centers right now in the league.

What I'm hoping is we package him for a better player around the deadline like we did with Ross and those other assets. Cousins is the guy I have my eye on atm. Similar situation to the Ibaka deal, team recently traded for him and they aren't doing as well as they hoped. Expiring in the summer and will be desperate to try to recoup some value if they aren't nearing playoff contention around February.

Comment

• After THAT game, now is the time to trade JV? Look, I really like Poeltl, but he's not ready to start. He should definitely be getting all the backup C minutes over BeBe IMO, and is the heir apparent in a year or two if/when JV is moved or leaves.

Even with Poeltl on the floor last night, the Raps had a 60% defensive rebound rate. That's not something that lends itself to winning. He's just not ready, physically, to handle bigger matchups.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          After THAT game, now is the time to trade JV?.
          All that chatter is pretty hilarious. "Let's get out-rebounded by 30 every night!"
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            All that chatter is pretty hilarious. "Let's get out-rebounded by 30 every night!"
            Not every team is as big as the Spurs. Not too many teams start two 7 footers. Also Yak out-rebounded both LMA and Gasol. It was Lowry who let a 2nd year PG grab 14 rebounds. Just poor boxing out by the perimeter players Danny Green had 8 himself.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

... what game did you watch that THIS was your conclusion? I like Poeltl but I'm not sure you could have picked a worse game to say this after.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Not every team is as big as the Spurs. Not too many teams start two 7 footers. Also Yak out-rebounded both LMA and Gasol. It was Lowry who let a 2nd year PG grab 14 rebounds. Just poor boxing out by the perimeter players Danny Green had 8 himself.
                The Spurs are not that big. And frankly neither Gasol or Aldridge are that dominant/tough down low. They are good offensively but this is far from the most physical team.

Poeltl has yet to show he can consistently box out or deal with physicality. He's a bit more mobile on D than JV and pretty much worse across the board in every other aspect of the game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  The Spurs are not that big. And frankly neither Gasol or Aldridge are that dominant/tough down low. They are good offensively but this is far from the most physical team.

Poeltl has yet to show he can consistently box out or deal with physicality. He's a bit more mobile on D than JV and pretty much worse across the board in every other aspect of the game.

so far Poeltl consistently can't box out, which is why he didn't really help the raptors (as a team) on rebounding.

Valanciunas is the only guy on our roster who can regularly outrebound multiple opponents, which is pretty much required when your other 4 players are this anemic on box-outs.

Comment

• OG is our king

Comment

• 9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Poeltl is still young and has to fill out. I'd like to see him put on 20 lbs without decreasing mobility. I like a centre that RIPS down the basketball and puts a little fear into the opposition. Jak not near that yet but a good energy backup. Bebe even further behind despite the fearsome face tats lol

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          Poeltl is still young and has to fill out. I'd like to see him put on 20 lbs without decreasing mobility. I like a centre that RIPS down the basketball and puts a little fear into the opposition. Jak not near that yet but a good energy backup. Bebe even further behind despite the fearsome face tats lol
                          Bebe is the softest 7 footer since Manute Bol. The wind knocks him over.

Comment

He has a lot more in game intelligence than JV on offense and defense.

And Jakob Poeltl got 13 rebounds last night, I'm not sure why people are laying the rebound problems on him - do you think JV would have come in and gotten 24 or something?
                            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Bebe is the softest 7 footer since Manute Bol. The wind knocks him over.
                              His new nickname is "toothpick" nogueira
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                                He has a lot more in game intelligence than JV on offense and defense.

And Jakob Poeltl got 13 rebounds last night, I'm not sure why people are laying the rebound problems on him - do you think JV would have come in and gotten 24 or something?
                                I don't think Poeltl is smarter offensively. He is more limited so his choices are easier. He isn't more skilled either. I haven't seen brilliantly intelligent offence from him so I don't know what you're talking about.

Defensively he's a bit better with his help but can be atrocious at times defending 1-on-1 in the post and on the defensive glass. Believe it or not it takes some amount of smarts to do those things. As for help D, JV had looked pretty good so far this year and looked just fine in the scheme we ran a couple of years ago that was more conservative. So I don't see the gap there being anything significant at the moment.

And i never blamed Poeltl for our rebounding issues last night, but I won't get too excited from one good game on the glass from a guy who has not shown a lot of promise on the defensive glass so far in his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X