Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    2 games VS RAPs last year 31.0 mins .714 FG, 11.0 REBS, 1.5 AST, 0.5 BLK, 1.5 STL, 11.5 PPG

Him and JV pretty much cancelled each other out in their match ups. Chandler contract is also shorter

Chandler dunking all over the raps last year. Looks good for an old guy. If Lowe thinks he can still play than so do I.
    He looks pretty good for a grandpa but there's nothing he's doing there that JV can't. Plus you have the added benefit of Val being able to hit jumpers.

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Boogie is both a willing and a good passer. He had the third best assist percentage for players 6'10" and above last year, behind Jokic and Giannis, and ahead of Marc Gasol. http://bkref.com/tiny/frF3q

6th-best among all players 6'7" and above, and considerably better than DeMar's mark, which ranked him 13th. http://bkref.com/tiny/rMpPM

He's an absolute perfect fit next to Ibaka and exactly what we need to elevate us to contender status. I just don't know how we can get him here unless OG balls out, given that Powell is not able to be traded.
    Yes, yes I know Cousins can pass. That doesn't answer the question of whether he can play in/buy into a pass heavy system. The way he racks up assists is not the same as the way Jokic or Gasol do. That's something that the boxscore can't tell you.

Cousins fouls a lot, turns over the ball a lot, and isn't a high impact defender. Is that worth him bogging down the offense in order for him to get his? I don't think so.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
      He looks pretty good for a grandpa but there's nothing he's doing there that JV can't. Plus you have the added benefit of Val being able to hit jumpers.

Yes, yes I know Cousins can pass. That doesn't answer the question of whether he can play in/buy into a pass heavy system. The way he racks up assists is not the same as the way Jokic or Gasol do. That's something that the boxscore can't tell you.

Cousins fouls a lot, turns over the ball a lot, and isn't a high impact defender. Is that worth him bogging down the offense in order for him to get his? I don't think so.
      Chandler trade is about saving money and still getting a very serviceable player. One that can groom our future starting center. Do I think JV is better but, not by much. Also think JV benefits a lot playing with Deebo/KLOW. Which Chandler doesn't have the benefit of currently. Ibaka is a better with Raps than he was with Orlando.
      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Oct 25, 2017, 04:00 AM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post

The Kings had the fifth-most assists per 100 possessions during Cousins's last full season in Sacramento; we had the second-fewest. If Cousins was so detrimental to a passing culture the Kings should not have been so high. Last season he made 50 passes per game; Gasol made 52. They each received about 56 passes per game.

His last full season with one team Cousins had the 13th best defensive RPM in the league. He's usually one of the league leaders in steals among big men and is averaging 3.3 blocks per game through four games.

He does foul a fair bit, but only 0.4 more per 100 possessions than Jonas. But he draws more personal fouls than anyone by a wide margin. https://fansided.com/2016/08/25/intr...wn-percentage/

His turnover percentage was 94th among players with 1000 minutes played, which is pretty damn good considering how much the ball was in his hands.

I feel like people dismiss him out of hand because of his demeanor and unsportsmanlike history. I used to be against acquiring him too; there's no question he's frequently been a locker room disaster.

But I feel like he's growing up. And the guy is a force of nature. We aren't exactly in a position to be choosy anymore... If you can find a way to grab a true franchise talent, you have to do it.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Lol, ok lets lay out stats in a way that's skewed to help make a point.

Last year he played 40 minutes across 2 games, and had 19 pts and 13 rebs against GSW. He had 5 OREBs, and only had 11 FGAs. That's pretty damn productive and barely involved. They were fairly close games.

The year before he did have 9 and 11 on a bad shooting night in 31 minutes in one game. He also had 5 OREBs that night. Also ended up being a somewhat close game.

The year before he had 15 and 12 in around 38 minutes total across 2 games. He had just 9 FGAs, had 4 OREBs and got 8 FTAs in those 38 minutes. Both massive blowouts where we never had a chance.

So he had some pretty productive time on the court in most of his minutes against GSW. And the game he played the most, where he also had a bad FG%, was the closest loss of the games he appeared in against them. In none of the games did he get the combination of touches and minutes to have a chance to dominate them. But he doesn't have to be dominant, just effective enough to become an issue for GSW.

Now, I don't think forcefeeding JV is the answer to our problems against GSW. They probably beat us every time unless we get lucky some night regardless. But there's hardly enough evidence to suggest we can't win playing JV against them since we barely try it, and we lose trying to beat them at their game anyway (ie there's not enough evidence to suggest benching him is the solution). And we do that against worse small ball teams too. I mean, wouldn't it be helpful if in trying to box out JV, we are able to draw some cheap fouls on guys like Durant and Green? Wouldn't it hurt GSW's chances if they are forced to play Pachulia more than they'd like? And I think if they also commit to this new style of play they're trying this year it really could help make JV more effective in faster games as well.

Too bad JV probably won't play tomorrow anyway, and if he does he'll be hobbled in an uptempo game so it would probably be a disaster.

**And yeah, whether JV plays or not, and whether we use our bigs or go small, I think mostly luck is the only thing getting us a win against GSW. And unless someone like Anthony Davis becomes available, I don't think there's an obvious move to help our chances there. Paul George was the other superstar I was hoping to go after (where JV probably wouldn't be a useful piece since they are high on Turner), but Larry Legend was so old school about trading him in conference, he shipped him out West for like a third of his value.
          Hey maybe try reading what I wrote again. I didn't say that we CAN'T win with JV or even that he was the reason we can't beat the Warriors. I said that he wasn't dominating and wouldn't be them, which was a false narrative perpetuated by someone else.

Comment

Chandler trade is about saving money and still getting a very serviceable player. One that can groom our future starting center. Do I think JV is better but, not by much. Also think JV benefits a lot playing with Deebo/KLOW. Which Chandler doesn't have the benefit of currently. Ibaka is a better with Raps than he was with Orlando.
            Groom our future center? As the defensive anchor, Chandler played a huge role in the Suns having a historically bad defense to start the season. He helped get Earl Watson fired. On second thought.... bring him on.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Groom our future center? As the defensive anchor, Chandler played a huge role in the Suns having a historically bad defense to start the season. He helped get Earl Watson fired. On second thought.... bring him on.
              Young teams dont defend. It's been proven over and over again. Didnt Ibaka look bad defensively in Orlando? Context man. How many players on this team have anchored a champsionship team? Watson was terrible coach. Chandler has had success anchoring Casey's defensive system.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I really don't understand this Chandler idea. He's old, he's not that great anymore. You're looking at his name more than his actual ability and status in the league. Plus we don't really save any significant money. Basically has the same deal as JV

Comment

• Lowe brought up Chandler because he was looking at the 2018-2019 books, not the 2017-2018 books. Chandler makes $2-3M less than JV, and the Raps would be about $4M in tax if the same roster is there next year (minus Bruno and Bebe). But that still doesn't help us get under the tax and an additional move (or two) would still have to be made.

So if we're going to trade JV for a C that C should make at least $4-5M less per year in my opinion assuming the Raps need to avoid taxes again next year. So Chandler really makes no sense to me.

Comment

Young teams dont defend. It's been proven over and over again. Didnt Ibaka look bad defensively in Orlando? Context man. How many players on this team have anchored a champsionship team? Watson was terrible coach. Chandler has had success anchoring Casey's defensive system.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                    You mean like a young Rudy Gobert singlehandedly turning the Jazz into a defensive minded team? Nope, young players can't defend. lol. Basically, Rudy Gobert is what Tyson Chandler used to be, when he could still play and/or cared.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                      Hey maybe try reading what I wrote again. I didn't say that we CAN'T win with JV or even that he was the reason we can't beat the Warriors. I said that he wasn't dominating and wouldn't be them, which was a false narrative perpetuated by someone else.
                      I did and you clearly put the numbers out in a way that made JV look as bad as possible. So I did the opposite to show that his production and efficiency were for the most part very good, while his opportunity was really limited, suggesting that it's not impossible to think he could be a factor that GSW could have trouble adjusting to. Your post was not very informative or fair at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        You mean like a young Rudy Gobert singlehandedly turning the Jazz into a defensive minded team? Nope, young players can't defend. lol. Basically, Rudy Gobert is what Tyson Chandler used to be, when he could still play and/or cared.
                        Suns have 12 players 25 or younger. Utah Jazz have 7. Jazz have 5 players 30+ and Suns have 2. Jazz obviously have the better coach as well.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Age of the team, is pretty irrelevant in this case. Chandler is washed up. Well past his useful years.

Comment

Suns have 12 players 25 or younger. Utah Jazz have 7. Jazz have 5 players 30+ and Suns have 2. Jazz obviously have the better coach as well.
                            In 2015-2016 when Utah had the 7th best defense in the league.. they had 13 players 25 or younger. Booker was the oldest at 28.

Comment

• I don't think JV has good enough trade value to make anything in a deal for Cousins other than salary matching. I don't see why the Pelicans would want him that much for a team that would clearly be trying to start from scratch. In addition, the Pelicans trading Cousins would just be waving the white flag to Anthony Davis, which isn't going to happen this year unless the experiment completely fails.

I just don't think the Raptors have the assets to get Cousins. I don't think a package of JV, Norm or JV, Delon plus picks would be enough to do it, and that's about the best the Raptors can offer.

I honestly believe JV has more value to the Raptors than any value on the open trade market. The only reason they'd trade him in the offseason is to duck the tax, I can't see him being dealt in a "basketball" trade.
                              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                                I don't think JV has good enough trade value to make anything in a deal for Cousins other than salary matching. I don't see why the Pelicans would want him that much for a team that would clearly be trying to start from scratch. In addition, the Pelicans trading Cousins would just be waving the white flag to Anthony Davis, which isn't going to happen this year unless the experiment completely fails.

I just don't think the Raptors have the assets to get Cousins. I don't think a package of JV, Norm or JV, Delon plus picks would be enough to do it, and that's about the best the Raptors can offer.

I honestly believe JV has more value to the Raptors than any value on the open trade market. The only reason they'd trade him in the offseason is to duck the tax, I can't see him being dealt in a "basketball" trade.
                                Yup.. I can't see how trading JV improves the club this season. Plus Norm can't be traded until the summer anyway since he just signed an extension.

Comment

Working...
                                X