Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    So..then Siakam at the 4 when Ibaka is at 5? Or more Bebe? Miles? Bruno? OG?

Also, Ibaka has never averaged more than 33 mpg - 5 seasons ago. So playing him roughly 35 per game for the entire regular season is probably a bad idea.

Edit: lol I see DanH beat me to it.

Does 28 minutes of OG/Siakam at the 4 produce more value than 28 minutes of JV at the 5?

Or another way, is the (pretty likely) dropoff from Ibaka at the 4 to OG/Siakam more than the alleged boost from a JV-less Poeltl/Ibaka 5?

Of course this doesn't take into account the theoretical very-good player that the Raptors would get in return from any JV trade.
    Right now the rotation when healthy looks like this roughly:

C: JV (25), Yak (15), Ibaka (~8)
    PF: Ibaka (25), OG (~10), Siakam (~10)

I'm suggesting this (again IF we can find a comparably talented player at the wing for JV in a trade)

C: Yak (25), Ibaka (15), Bebe (~8)
    PF: Ibaka (20), OG (~15), Siakam (~10)

I'm doubling Ibaka's time at center (where he is way better than at the 4). I'm giving OG more minutes at the 4 that's it.

And on the wings it pushes Powell to the bench. The new 3 starts next to DD for 25 a night, DD plays low 30s leaving about 20 apiece for Powell and Miles off the bench at the 2/3. Wright plays PG exclusively behind Kyle for 18-20mpg.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      Anunoby will play bulk at the 4 spot. 20 mins for Ibaka, 28 shared between Anunoby and Siakam.

Not that complicated mate.
      And here's the really fun bit - what happens when Poeltl or Ibaka gets hurt? We are making a trade to remove our big man depth, in order to shoehorn in another wing player when, as noted, we don't even really have minutes to give OG on the wing and he's playing the 4 spot right now, never mind when we add someone in a JV trade. And then a Poeltl sophomore slump or an OG rookie wall would be disastrous.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        And here's the really fun bit - what happens when Poeltl or Ibaka gets hurt? We are making a trade to remove our big man depth, in order to shoehorn in another wing player when, as noted, we don't even really have minutes to give OG on the wing and he's playing the 4 spot right now, never mind when we add someone in a JV trade. And then a Poeltl sophomore slump or an OG rookie wall would be disastrous.
        What happens when Lowry or DeMar get hurt? We have another Kyle stocked on the bench to make up for that?

Yeah if a key player gets hurt that's a big problem. You can't have 5 layers of depth for every injury.

I'd also point out that JV has gotten hurt for a long period before and the team has gone along just fine. (See 2015-16 with Biyombo)

Comment

Right now the rotation when healthy looks like this roughly:

C: JV (25), Yak (15), Ibaka (~8)
          PF: Ibaka (25), OG (~10), Siakam (~10)

I'm suggesting this (again IF we can find a comparably talented player at the wing for JV in a trade)

C: Yak (25), Ibaka (15), Bebe (~8)
          PF: Ibaka (20), OG (~15), Siakam (~10)

I'm doubling Ibaka's time at center (where he is way better than at the 4). I'm giving OG more minutes at the 4 that's it.

And on the wings it pushes Powell to the bench. The new 3 starts next to DD for 25 a night, DD plays low 30s leaving about 20 apiece for Powell and Miles off the bench at the 2/3. Wright plays PG exclusively behind Kyle for 18-20mpg.
          In the first game when JV was healthy, Ibaka played... zero minutes at C. In the Philly game when JV was there for the first 3 Q's, Ibaka played... zero minutes at C. Ibaka played all of 3 minutes at C against SAS, and that was with JV completely out. Let's not pretend he was in the rotation at C before JV went down. Situationally, he would have been, but I doubt he gets any minutes at C versus any of our first three opponents without JV getting hurt. Golden State is the ultimate exception team, and even against them he played only 21 minutes, and that was with JV AND Bebe hurt.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

What happens when Lowry or DeMar get hurt? We have another Kyle stocked on the bench to make up for that?

Yeah if a key player gets hurt that's a big problem. You can't have 5 layers of depth for every injury.

I'd also point out that JV has gotten hurt for a long period before and the team has gone along just fine. (See 2015-16 with Biyombo)
            Uh, yeah, if one of our all stars gets hurt we're in trouble. No way around that. You are setting up a scenario where if our second year role playing C gets hurt we are in trouble.

And yes, having quality depth is important. Biyombo is a great example. If JV gets hurt, Poeltl can step in, with viable, if non-ideal, backups. If you remove JV from that equation, and Poeltl gets hurt, you are hoping for Nogueira to step up? Ibaka to play C full time and get lots of minutes from Siakam? Yay?
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I've got an idea. How about we trade JV for Carroll?
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I've got an idea. How about we trade JV for Carroll?
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Wonderful. You know who I think also agrees with you two? Masai.

You know who I think also knows there's currently no deal like that out there? Masai.

Or else he would have fucking done it already.

Though I do tend to lean towards Jakob not being entirely dependable yet (and with Bebe, you can depend on him to be undependable). But even if Jakob was rock solid, I stand by my opinion above.
                  You think Masai is constantly trying to make the team better? And I agree 100%.

You know what else I think? Despite the ongoing efforts by some posters, I think he really doesn't need much help at it. I mean he has all his assistant coaches, the teams scouting unit and their analytic guys.

I also think if a certain change in team make-up hasn't happened it's because the possibility of a change isn't there, or else he doesn't believe it's a good change.

On the off chance that I am completely wrong, why don't all the brainiacs on the forum who know more than Masai and staff send him an email outlining their ideas? That way we can all be sure everything gets carefully considered.
                  Last edited by Puffer; Fri Oct 27, 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Exactly. That's why it was in pink.

Comment

• I think the JV-Carroll "suggestion" is a great demonstration of the sort of deal that might be possible, and exactly why no such deal will likely take place.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Exactly. That's why it was in pink.
                        I really just wanted to use the perfect office space clip for this post, made by you in particular
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          I really just wanted to use the perfect office space clip for this post, made by you in particular
                          It was quite perfect. I definitely appreciated it.

Comment

• Nobody is telling Masai what to do. If we’re not allowed to comment on moves we’d like to see made because we’re not in the front office then just shut down the fucking forum. Getting so sick of hearing that type of bullshit and it’s not the first time fuck off with that.

Comment

Nobody is telling Masai what to do. If we’re not allowed to comment on moves we’d like to see made because we’re not in the front office then just shut down the fucking forum. Getting so sick of hearing that type of bullshit and it’s not the first time fuck off with that.
                              Agreed with the sentiment, though maybe tone it down a bit.

Although I admit the conversation would be more interesting if you (and others, not trying to single anyone out) suggested actual returns for JV rather than just a blanket "shop him for a good deal."
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Agreed with the sentiment, though maybe tone it down a bit.

Although I admit the conversation would be more interesting if you (and others, not trying to single anyone out) suggested actual returns for JV rather than just a blanket "shop him for a good deal."
                                I know what kind of return I want for JV. I don't know where we can get it from as things stand right now. That's where you're not understanding me. I'm not saying we NEED to trade him right this second. I'm saying if the right deal arises we can afford to because of Jakob.

Comment

Working...
                                X