Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Again, when you're shooting 20%, you shouldn't be trying to get open too often for poor percentage shots
    They aren't going to run any plays for JV or Pascal to take a 3pt shot, but the threat of them being able to hit one is important to the offence. That threat doesn't exist if they aren't taking them.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      JV having a #ProveEm season especially the last month or so. Dude's been killing it. Steph Curry the 2nd best shooter in the NBA now.
      I'm interested to see if they continue to involve JV in the offence, post trade deadline. His sudden surge coincided with the trade deadline approaching so wasn't sure if this was happening organically or if it was forced, as in they wanted to show case him to raise his trade value. I think the Rap's were playing around .500 basketball during a stretch of 12 games or so in January which was around the time JV really started to pick up his game. Possibly another sign they changed their offence to help show case him.

What we need now are some tougher teams to test the offence with JV playing a big role in it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        I'm interested to see if they continue to involve JV in the offence, post trade deadline. His sudden surge coincided with the trade deadline approaching so wasn't sure if this was happening organically or if it was forced, as in they wanted to show case him to raise his trade value. I think the Rap's were playing around .500 basketball during a stretch of 12 games or so in January which was around the time JV really started to pick up his game. Possibly another sign they changed their offence to help show case him.

What we need now are some tougher teams to test the offence with JV playing a big role in it.
        Reading way too much into it. Raptors are worried about winning not showcasing.

The team has evolved before our very eyes. JV is the teams #2 scorer. Lowry and Ibaka are the support guys
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

The team has evolved before our very eyes. JV is the teams #2 scorer. Lowry and Ibaka are the support guys
          Not sure if Jonas has surpassed Lowry in the pecking order, but I'd say he's a legit #3 now.

EDIT: I don't think 'showcasing' is something top teams do. To showcase, means to artificially increase a player's trade value. To do so, means giving a player extra opportunities that he would otherwise not receive under normal circumstances, knowing that it may hurt the team in the process. This does not sound like anything the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets (or Raptors) would do.
          Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Not sure if Jonas has surpassed Lowry in the pecking order, but I'd say he's a legit #3 now.

EDIT: I don't think 'showcasing' is something top teams do. To showcase, means to artificially increase a player's trade value. To do so, means giving a player extra opportunities that he would otherwise not receive under normal circumstances, knowing that it may hurt the team in the process. This does not sound like anything the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets (or Raptors) would do.
            Lowry may take more shots, But valanciunas is a better scorer.

Comment

Lowry may take more shots, But valanciunas is a better scorer.
              I'd say it works out like this: Lowry and JV are co-2nd options when both play, but Lowry plays a lot more minutes, so he gets more shots overall. Their nearly identical usage rates and per-minute FGAs back that up.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                I'd say it works out like this: Lowry and JV are co-2nd options when both play, but Lowry plays a lot more minutes, so he gets more shots overall. Their nearly identical usage rates and per-minute FGAs back that up.
                Yep and it's noticeable. It's such a calming feeling too watch Lowry go from "we need him to be superman" to "part of the core" and the team actually IMPROVED. Life after Lowry isn't looking scary anymore

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  I'd prefer JV as the clear 2nd option when they're on the floor together, though. Lowry's offensive game, shot selection in particular, is not impressing me much this year.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    I'd prefer JV as the clear 2nd option when they're on the floor together, though. Lowry's offensive game, shot selection in particular, is not impressing me much this year.
                    It feels especially bad the last few games. Just awful decision making in general.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      It feels especially bad the last few games. Just awful decision making in general.

used to be you could live with the dumb pullup 3s when he was driving and scoring. but he has (IMO) regressed at his driving game and also, to be fair, isn't getting as many opportunities to do it. So now it feels like every 2nd shot he takes is a contested pullup jumpshit from 3. Very irritating.

Comment

It's been great seeing them integrate JV into the offence so seamlessly. He really balances out the offence and has done a hell of a job playing D. Need some tougher opponents to see if this is going to be successful in the playoffs though. Actually we need the playoffs to see how successful the new look offence will be.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

I must have seen a totally different game yesterday. I thought Lowry's decision making and shot selection were terrific.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

We've hit a new level for a regular season team and part of that might be because of how bad the East (as predicted) has been, but I can't say this team is a contender or in the same tier as the Warriors, Spurs or Rockets just yet. I still maintain that talent trumps everything in this league and playoffs is when that comes to light. Beating up on weak teams does feel nice though

Comment

I was lazy responding there, I can actually look this up.

When JV, DD and KL share the floor:

DD: 16.3 FGA/36, 26 USG%
                              JV: 14.1 FGA/36, 22 USG%
                              KL: 13.0 FGA/36, 21 USG%

(For reference, Ibaka is at 13.1 FGA/36, 19 USG%)

When DD and KL share the floor without JV:

DD: 19.5 FGA/36, 31 USG%
                              KL: 15.6 FGA/36, 24 USG%

(For reference, Ibaka is at 14.5 FGA/36, 20 USG%)

So JV does look like the clear cut 2nd option (Lowry's usage% is inflated by some playmaking-driven turnovers), with Lowry and Ibaka operating as release valves for the starting unit. Then without JV the stars have to carry more of the load, with Ibaka taking on a bigger role as well, which inflates their overall usage. Never mind the extra usage they get when playing individually with bench units.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

used to be you could live with the dumb pullup 3s when he was driving and scoring. but he has (IMO) regressed at his driving game and also, to be fair, isn't getting as many opportunities to do it. So now it feels like every 2nd shot he takes is a contested pullup jumpshit from 3. Very irritating.
                                Yeah, if only Lowry would stop taking pull-up threes, which he only hits at 38%, and only take catch and shoot threes, which he hits at a very-different-from-that-last-number 40%.

I'd like it if he timed them better with JV rolling for the offensive board, but those are not bad shots, guys. And they can be absolute back breakers for the opposing defence.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X