Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, if only Lowry would stop taking pull-up threes, which he only hits at 38%, and only take catch and shoot threes, which he hits at a very-different-from-that-last-number 40%.

I'd like it if he timed them better with JV rolling for the offensive board, but those are not bad shots, guys. And they can be absolute back breakers for the opposing defence.

I don't mind Lowry taking 3s. But you know perfectly well what type of shot I'm talking about.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      I must have seen a totally different game yesterday. I thought Lowry's decision making and shot selection were terrific.
      Yesterday may have been his best game in terms of decision making out of the last few. But too many things like bad shots and bad passes recently. Seems to be forcing things when he really doesn't have to far too often.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Yeah, if only Lowry would stop taking pull-up threes, which he only hits at 38%, and only take catch and shoot threes, which he hits at a very-different-from-that-last-number 40%.

I'd like it if he timed them better with JV rolling for the offensive board, but those are not bad shots, guys. And they can be absolute back breakers for the opposing defence.
        They can also break our own backs as we get caught flat footed in transition if he misses. He takes them so early, with the D already back and set but our guys still getting into position on O. We get caught badly if he misses and before our guys can react, the other team is already on the fast break with numbers. And very frustrating when he does them and we have a small, unsafe lead. It's one thing when we're up 15 pts, and another if it's just a 5-6 pt lead.

Comment

• I don't mind that pull up crazy 3 attempt from Lowry. It won't go in half the time, but when it does it kills the other team's spirit. If it doesn't the other team might go on a bit of a run, but our defense is more than capable of shutting that down again. I like the risk in it.

Comment

• I'd like to see some actual numbers rather than anecdotes of what happens after a transition 3 miss, but the fact is teams are taking more and more of them each year. Only about 20 players took 2 per game 2 years ago, this year there's over 35 players. Even at Lowry's 37% on transition 3's, thats 1.11 pts/possession with little chance of it getting blocked or a turnover.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I'd like to see some actual numbers rather than anecdotes of what happens after a transition 3 miss, but the fact is teams are taking more and more of them each year. Only about 20 players took 2 per game 2 years ago, this year there's over 35 players. Even at Lowry's 37% on transition 3's, thats 1.11 pts/possession with little chance of it getting blocked or a turnover.
              It's not like it's the only area of questionable decision making from Lowry recently.

Comment

• Not saying he hasn't had instances or even stretches of questionable decision making, but what I'm saying is that it's very questionable that transition 3's qualify as questionable decision making when they are being made at a decent %.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  It's not like it's the only area of questionable decision making from Lowry recently.

Yeah, he thought this would be funny and/or cool

Lol @ Derozan he's not even gonna throw a sympathy smile out there for Kyle to grab like a lifeboat while he drowns in cringe
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Not saying he hasn't had instances or even stretches of questionable decision making, but what I'm saying is that it's very questionable that transition 3's qualify as questionable decision making when they are being made at a decent %.
                    They are when you compound it with other bad decisions. It's ok if those are often the bulk of his questionable decisions, but not when you add some bad passes and shot selection in as well.

At his best, that is usually the case...he doesn't try to force too many bad plays but is still compelled to take a quick 3 now and then. He hasn't been at his best lately. And I don't think he's struggled as badly this season as some do, but after his bruised ass he understandably struggled a bit, and now again he has in some recent games.

Comment

• I don't mind the transition 3's, but sure "shot and score" decision making should probably apply.

Waiting for your rebounders also means waiting for the D to set up. There's a lot of value in attacking before the D is set up. Lowry's shots in particular look like they keep the D off balance. The predictability of the Raps' previous offence was always a problem.

And like Dan said - a lot of guys take these shots now, this isn't just Lowry. The Curry Effect.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I like the transition 3's from Lowry. A lot of fans didn't want him taking them when he first started doing it like 3 seasons ago. And then he turned into one of the best off the bounce/transition shooters in the game. It's an integral part of our offence and one of the reasons Lowry is difficult to guard.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          We've hit a new level for a regular season team and part of that might be because of how bad the East (as predicted) has been, but I can't say this team is a contender or in the same tier as the Warriors, Spurs or Rockets just yet. I still maintain that talent trumps everything in this league and playoffs is when that comes to light. Beating up on weak teams does feel nice though
                          I'm confident that Raps would beat Spurs in a 7 game series.....maybe even if they had Kawhi. The Rockets and Warriors are another matter but we'd be competitive.

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
                            I'm confident that Raps would beat Spurs in a 7 game series.....maybe even if they had Kawhi. The Rockets and Warriors are another matter but we'd be competitive.
                            I think Raps would have a legit shot against Rockets too. Especially with OG, the Harden stopper

Comment

• His name is Jonas

He's gonna carry the team

And once he'd done showing them

All the fans we'll scream

Come sit next to me

Enjoy some nachos & cheese

Just like we made

At home for free

Things were awful then

No playoffs for our men

We all hoped that we'd

Draft a superstar

Then came the man named Masai

A genius whose trades were so fine

He said "hey man, we'll make a trade"

And then we dealt Rudy Gay......

His name is Valanciunas

He gives us great joy

All the hate from Casey

Yet he still makes his plays

Makes those plays, yeah

Tell him what to do

He will listen with pride

He will rebound the ball

And you know what else

Guess what I just saw

From Jonas today?

He took a 3 ball & swished it, no contest.

The game's not going as planned

The bench mob is getting manned

Poeltl's screens will not clear that path

Freddy swears they'll feel his rath

The Raptors are marching on

The Raptors are marching on, YEAH!

His name is Jonasssss.....
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Now that the "free JV" movement has been mostly satiated, is it time to think about a new movement..."free JV part 2"?. JV hit 2 three yesterday but there were several times where he got the ball in a good spot beyond the arc with little traffic around him. If he passed up a good shot to get a better shot that would be ok but he usually just passed it back into the handoff cycle. For a team eager to shoot the three but with inconsistent results doing so, might it be time for our "best" 3 point shooter to shoot a bit more?

Comment

Working...
                                X