Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Now that the "free JV" movement has been mostly satiated, is it time to think about a new movement..."free JV part 2"?. JV hit 2 three yesterday but there were several times where he got the ball in a good spot beyond the arc with little traffic around him. If he passed up a good shot to get a better shot that would be ok but he usually just passed it back into the handoff cycle. For a team eager to shoot the three but with inconsistent results doing so, might it be time for our "best" 3 point shooter to shoot a bit more?
    A lot of those opportunities came in the clutch.. and I'm sure he felt that someone else could put up a better shot in those situations. He needs a little bit of that juice that CJ Miles keeps drinking. That guy has no fear.

Comment

• Good article on the front page detailing JV's improvements on the defensive end this season.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2018...-improvements/
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Now that the "free JV" movement has been mostly satiated, is it time to think about a new movement..."free JV part 2"?. JV hit 2 three yesterday but there were several times where he got the ball in a good spot beyond the arc with little traffic around him. If he passed up a good shot to get a better shot that would be ok but he usually just passed it back into the handoff cycle. For a team eager to shoot the three but with inconsistent results doing so, might it be time for our "best" 3 point shooter to shoot a bit more?
        Not sure how much I like a fantastic Orebounder sitting outside the three point line. I love JV's shooting, but I think it would be a shame to turn him into a shooter like Cavs did to K. Love. So much value in hitting the offensive glass.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          Not sure how much I like a fantastic Orebounder sitting outside the three point line. I love JV's shooting, but I think it would be a shame to turn him into a shooter like Cavs did to K. Love. So much value in hitting the offensive glass.
          On the other hand, when JV is standing above the 3 pt line, he's pulling his man high, opening up the paint. He's also in much better position to get back in transition in case of a miss.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            On the other hand, when JV is standing above the 3 pt line, he's pulling his man high, opening up the paint. He's also in much better position to get back in transition in case of a miss.
            The flaw in your logic here is that he doesn’t miss so he wouldn’t have to get back in transition that fast.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              I doubt it will ever get to that extreme, but the shot is valuable. It also gives screen plays with JV an added dimension. For the most part it won't seriously hinder his impact inside around the rim and on the glass.

I feel like situationally, a lot of his attempts come on plays where he usually wouldn't have an ideal rebounding situation anyway. The kinds of plays where in the past he's just trying to stay out of the way of Demar driving, for example. Now he's an effective release valve and in a spot that makes it much harder to defend Demar in the post or help on him in the paint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• DeMar has received a lot of well earned praise for reinventing his game this season. JV deserves it as well. To have two guys who play such big roles on your team change their games over the course of a season is pretty damn amazing.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  DeMar has received a lot of well earned praise for reinventing his game this season. JV deserves it as well. To have two guys who play such big roles on your team change their games over the course of a season is pretty damn amazing.
                  I went into this season very worried about the eventual and inevitable decline of Lowry, figuring as he goes, we go. But demar and jv taking another step combined with the bench plethora of always improving pros has completely erased my worry for this year, next year, 2020 and perhaps beyond. Life after Lowry does not necessarily mean rebuild anymore and I'm all for that.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Good article on the front page detailing JV's improvements on the defensive end this season.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2018...-improvements/
                    It seems to me we've been arguing about the defensive scheme for a long time w.r.t. JV and now we seem to have finally settled on something that makes sense.

Always figured that if he was at least acceptable in the PnR defence he would be a positive on the court. The improvements he's shown this year in the shooting and passing department make it even better.

The JV/Jakob platoon is maybe the best C rotation in the league.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      It seems to me we've been arguing about the defensive scheme for a long time w.r.t. JV and now we seem to have finally settled on something that makes sense.

Always figured that if he was at least acceptable in the PnR defence he would be a positive on the court. The improvements he's shown this year in the shooting and passing department make it even better.

The JV/Jakob platoon is maybe the best C rotation in the league.
                      Casey mentioned in another article in The Athletic that the biggest focus is simply containing the ball. If you do that, all the schemes become easier or not even necessary. So basically, Casey’s making our guards play defense finally, instead allowing them to rely on a super athletic, one dimensional guy like Biyombo to bail them out. This works, in part, because we’re asking a lot less of Kyle and Demar on offense.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I went into this season very worried about the eventual and inevitable decline of Lowry, figuring as he goes, we go. But demar and jv taking another step combined with the bench plethora of always improving pros has completely erased my worry for this year, next year, 2020 and perhaps beyond. Life after Lowry does not necessarily mean rebuild anymore and I'm all for that.
                        I agree. In the next year or two we'll probably know at what level FVV and Delon will max out. If that is something short of All Star or even star (which seems likely) Masai will need to find another top level PG. But the "three headed monster" that are the Raptors' PGs will be good enough for a bit longer. If we did get Yiannis or another dominant player we might not even need to upgrade. FVV can certainly run a team and is already a good secondary scorer. I think Delon can get there too.

Comment

• JV had the quietest 18 points and 13 rebounds including 2 for 3 from beyond the arc .... ever

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                            JV had the quietest 18 points and 13 rebounds including 2 for 3 from beyond the arc .... ever
                            Easily his most effective year as a pro and he's getting little attention for it.

At some point in the near future Ibaka will retire as a great grandfather and the team will likely still have 3 starting quality bigs. One of JB/Poeltl/Siakam could end up being a very valuable trade piece, probably either JV or Poeltl.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Easily his most effective year as a pro and he's getting little attention for it.

At some point in the near future Ibaka will retire as a great grandfather and the team will likely still have 3 starting quality bigs. One of JB/Poeltl/Siakam could end up being a very valuable trade piece, probably either JV or Poeltl.
                              JV has 1 more year on his contract before player option. He might be gone by this summer.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                JV has 1 more year on his contract before player option. He might be gone by this summer.
                                Hard to see a landing place for him this summer with the cap the way it is. And with suppressed big market, wouldn't be shocked if they tried for a reduced cost extension for him, more in the range of 12-14M per year, if he's willing to opt out of his option year.

He might not be willing (I imagine an agent would suggest waiting to hit the open market), but he's taken a below-expected-market extension before, so he might just be a conservative type.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X