No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sting is subsiding and now starting to appreciate a few things about the season, such as: JV needs some props for the way he represented in the playoffs.

Have a buddy who is just a casual basketball fan and he randomly mentioned that JV was the only player that didn't look nervous at any point in the playoffs, from his observation. Sure, JV is limited, but he might be the most mentally and physically tough player we have on this roster. Built for the playoffs. Other than missing that tip-in (which was a huuuuuuuge miss), JV can hold his head high.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      The sting is subsiding and now starting to appreciate a few things about the season, such as: JV needs some props for the way he represented in the playoffs.

Have a buddy who is just a casual basketball fan and he randomly mentioned that JV was the only player that didn't look nervous at any point in the playoffs, from his observation. Sure, JV is limited, but he might be the most mentally and physically tough player we have on this roster. Built for the playoffs. Other than missing that tip-in (which was a huuuuuuuge miss), JV can hold his head high.
      I'd add OG, and to a lesser extent, FVV, to the list.

But definitely agree on Jonas.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I'd add OG, and to a lesser extent, FVV, to the list.

But definitely agree on Jonas.
        Yep, and even add delon as another who stepped their game up. Siakam and poeltl will be fine long term. It's really just all the old guys that underperform
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Yep, and even add delon as another who stepped their game up. Siakam and poeltl will be fine long term. It's really just all the old guys that underperform
          Delon had 2 standout performances vs. Washington, but sort of disappeared against Cleveland. But you're right, we don't really need to be worried about Delon's mental state either.

Comment

• JV loves the playoffs, loves a tough match up, loves it when guys start knocking each other around.

In spite of the fact that he's shown repeatedly to be the only Raptor who can dominate a playoff opponent at his position, guy still can't even get 25 mpg in the playoffs. Cause you know, sometimes your 3rd stringer who hasn't played in 2 weeks needs some blow.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Poeltl had an awful playoffs.. let's not forgive him too easily. I mean Sabonis was pretty good in the Indiana series and he was selected after Poeltl. Might be a bit of a rough hot take.. but at this point he'd be the "prospect" that I would have no problems moving on from if we had to.

Playoffs define you for better or for worse in this league. And Poeltl was a no show.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                JV loves the playoffs, loves a tough match up, loves it when guys start knocking each other around.

In spite of the fact that he's shown repeatedly to be the only Raptor who can dominate a playoff opponent at his position, guy still can't even get 25 mpg in the playoffs. Cause you know, sometimes your 3rd stringer who hasn't played in 2 weeks needs some blow.
                His problem in this team under this coach is that he's not selfish enough.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Guys, how do you work the NBA.com/stats page to look at, for example, Love's numbers while Jonas was guarding him, vs. Love's numbers while the rest of the Raptors were guarding him?

Been trying to play around with it, but can't figure it out.

Comment

Guys, how do you work the NBA.com/stats page to look at, for example, Love's numbers while Jonas was guarding him, vs. Love's numbers while the rest of the Raptors were guarding him?

Been trying to play around with it, but can't figure it out.
                    There is a menu link at the top left that you can navigate through.

But for specific matchups, you go here:

http://stats.nba.com/team/1610612761/matchups/

You can toggle whether the team is on offence, and who the offensive/defensive player is in the menu at the top.

You can also look at individual games by going to the box score for the game, then the matchup option.

http://stats.nba.com/game/0041700204/matchups/

In terms of just who is on the court at any given time, rather than who is guarding who, you can use the impact tool.

http://stats.nba.com/impact/
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Thanks man

Comment

Thanks man
                        so did you find anything interesting? I am genuinely curious.

Comment

• As if it matters. wtf.

I hate to do itm but i gotta go back against stats...eff that, watch the game, who sucked?

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            As if it matters. wtf.

I hate to do itm but i gotta go back against stats...eff that, watch the game, who sucked?
                            demar and serge. what's your point?

Comment

• I would be very curious to see how JV could develop playing for a coach who valued him and gave him at least 30 minutes a game. Perhaps by now he would have an even better post up game and be shooting more than one or two threes a game. The philosophy of using him according to match ups of course makes some sense but so does making the other team match up with him. I know this has been the debate all year, exemplified by the Kevin Love problem. If the Raptors don't move JV this summer I can't imagine him choosing to stay when he becomes a free agent. He'll still be young and could potentially thrive with a different coach. I thought Lowry was really using JV well this year when other things weren't working and almost always at the start of games. But then he would disappear to the bench for long stretches and even when being reinserted would seldom get the same usage. I would love to know what Lowry thinks of Casey's use of JV and Casey in general.

Comment

• The problem is there is no defensible reason why Casey so often sat him as the hottest hand, so often nailed him to the bench for entire quarters, so often sat him in smaller matchups, even after he was finally able to handle them, so often sat him at a dbl dbl first half, so often made bizarre substitutions when JV was the obvious player to sub in, so often refused to give him credit in the media or own up to his misuse even after the fact. He's young, still improving and abused here imo.

JV appears to love it here and is the ultimate team guy. But I'd be out the door in a hot second as a FA if Casey was still here.

Comment

Working...
                                X