Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    The best candidate for MIP on our team would be JV if he got enough minutes and kept playing at the kind of level he is now.

Right now, per 36 JV is averaging 22.8 pts, 16.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, 0.8 spg, 1.2 bpg, 1.5 tos. And doing so shooting .605% overall (.400% from 3 but just on 5 attempts), with a TS% of .675% and eFG% of .632%, with a PER of 28.6.

Now it's doubtful he would maintain quite that crazy a level, but he's easily playing his most effective ball ever.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If he averaged more like 28-32 mpg I could see it... but yeah he'd be the one guy on our team that could qualify for that award.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
      If jv keeps putting similar numbers to what he has been so far and say starts less than 20 games does anyone think he could be a 6MOY canidate? Say he averages like 15 pts 7 boards and 2 assts 1 block? I know its rare for a big to won this award as its mostly volume scores. But i could see JV getting in the discussion. So far it looks like serge is go to start most of the time as lots of teams dont have a traditonial starting C for jv to match up against. If i was a betting man i just might put a lil money on JV to win it as a crazy underdog on the odds. Thoughts?
      If I was a betting man, I'd wager that Serge will eventually regress/get tired and the minutes and starting role will eventually tilt toward JV once again. Maybe just even out but eventually move back towards what many of us think are the more desireable roles.

Who thought JV would do so well with the speed/ball movement of the bench mob? But with Poeltl moved and Siakam starting, perhaps that's gone forever anyways and our bench will just be a bench this season.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        If I was a betting man, I'd wager that Serge will eventually regress/get tired and the minutes and starting role will eventually tilt toward JV once again. Maybe just even out but eventually move back towards what many of us think are the more desireable roles.

Who thought JV would do so well with the speed/ball movement of the bench mob? But with Poeltl moved and Siakam starting, perhaps that's gone forever anyways and our bench will just be a bench this season.
        Serge is going to have his ups & downs, that's his whole career in a nushell.

JV doesn't need 30 minutes to be successful. He is either feeling it early on or if he starts picking up silly fouls and missing bunny's then you know he will likely be like that throughout the game.

Comment

• JV is top 10 in PER (10th).

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...1-After-Week-2

Comment

• JV is the very definition of a good soldier. Put up with all Casey's use-abuse and never said a word, just put his head down and produced. Same thing this year, many say I don't care what the coach wants, I'll do it but JV means it .... and does it.
            -Easy to like, pro....class act, good teammate .... and funny

Comment

• How much does the bench suck with JV there? He's doing what he can, but man alive that group is limited (for now).

JV has played 5 games off the bench. In those 5 games, he's scored 70 points on 49 used possessions (143 iORTG). All other bench players on the year have put up 232 points on 266 used possessions (87 iORTG).
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                How much does the bench suck with JV there? He's doing what he can, but man alive that group is limited (for now).

JV has played 5 games off the bench. In those 5 games, he's scored 70 points on 49 used possessions (143 iORTG). All other bench players on the year have put up 232 points on 266 used possessions (87 iORTG).
                That's because all other players = some mishmash of 905 level players and cjspjs.godaddy.com
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Would you guys trade JV for tristan thompson? Would Cleveland?

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                    Would you guys trade JV for tristan thompson? Would Cleveland?
                    Stay away from the egg nog Yuri
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I know 20-4 Im just conditioned to think something needs fixing lol

Comment

Nope. And probably.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I would.

I love JV.. probably my third favorite Raptor after Lowry and Kawhi (and my second favorite last year).

But I don't think JV and Fred make a good pairing. Yet I think Tristan would. Tristan is far more like Poeltl than JV in that Poeltl is an energy big. Loves to fly around in the post. JV likes to plant his feet and uses his strength in the post to get good position. Fred likes chaos. He thrives when guys are moving around so he can find you open for a pass. It's why Siakam was such a good partner for him last year. Yet JV is not.

You could say.. well Nurse should be starting JV more, and should be using Fred differently (more as a spot-up shooter, less as an offensive coordinator). But that's not changing.. at least not this year. Nurse has had more than a quarter of the season. Not sure how much more experimenting is left. We can hope that he tries Delon more as the initiator but sometimes you need to force a coach's hand (and Masai has done that plenty of times in the past for Casey).

JV is more talented than Tristan in my opinion.. an elite screen setter. Great rebounder. Super efficient. But I think Tristan would be more valuable as a Raptor than JV would.. at least with the way Nurse wants them to play.

So my proposal would be JV, Norm & CJ for Tristan & JR Smith.
                          http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yctr6o2n

JR Smith is not with the team anymore. The Cavs don't want him. Adding him to the trade might make it easier for the Cavs to let Tristan go. He's a clown and can hurt the locker room. I mean CJ, Norm and JV all seem like stand up guys. Tristan is married to a Kardashian, and JR Smith throws soup back at his assistant. But I think the off court stuff is slightly insignificant. We've seen many clowns win rings in the past. Smith, Rodman, Artest, Rondo. These guys are annoying but when placed in the right environment can help you win.

What I also love about Smith and Tristan is that they are both playoff tested. JV is a beast in the playoffs.. but is he going to get over 30mpg? Is he going to get the opportunity to beast when Kawhi is on the floor with him? He's 8th most on the team right now in MPG. Less than Fred and OG. Tristan has a ring. It was on James' back, but he was still a vital member of that team.. especially when Love got hurt in 2016. Tristan averaged 32mpg in that series. And that was against the 73 win Golden State Warriors.

Smith has $3.7M guaranteed for next year. So we can waive him and eat up some of that cap hit. JV and Tristan have similar lengths to their deals, but JV has a player option next year. Tristan doesn't. I suspect JV to opt in.

It's a risky trade because Tristan/Smith aren't usually kind to a locker room. But I think we would get guys that fit our system better and are playoff tested. Tristan being a Canadian is a bonus.. something Masai really values. And we'd lose Norm's mom!

As for the Cavs.. well they love Tristan. He's their home grown talent (home grown in that they drafted him). He's still young (only 27). A year older than JV though. A tanking team with no reason to hoard cash for free agency may not care about cost per year. So at best it's a wash.

But, adding Smith to the trade might help perk their ears up. They are paying Smith to stay home. That's $14.7M worth of rotten cake. CJ is having a terrible year, but maybe they can give him more opportunity to boost his 3pt shooting, and then trade him at the deadline to a team looking for a shooter? He's got a pretty good value contract. Norm gives them a young guy to help grow. They may not need another wing though but for us, Smith can do what Norm can with just 3 less years on his deal.

I'd hate to see JV go, and I'm a big JV fan. I just don't see Nurse changing things up to make it work properly. And we really only have this year to try and go for it. Kawhi could be gone and we could have lost out on a big opportunity.

Comment

• We're really thinking that our newfangled try-stuff coach is done trying stuff 20 games in?

And that even if the full bench unit struggles now, that we'd be better off in the playoffs when we are rotating stars through the bench rotation anyway?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              We're really thinking that our newfangled try-stuff coach is done trying stuff 20 games in?

And that even if the full bench unit struggles now, that we'd be better off in the playoffs when we are rotating stars through the bench rotation anyway?
                              He can try other stuff.. but frankly I'm not convinced he'll make the right call. And its going to get even more mucked up when Powell is healthy.

Sure stars will play more minutes with the bench.. but I see more Siakam at the 5 than more JV (over Serge) to be honest. I just don't see JV getting many playoff minutes even if they play a team with a bigger center like Detroit/Drummond.

I would take JV if we had a different style coach. He's just the better player. But for Nurse's team and the way he's playing his team.. I'd take Thompson. Maybe Nurse proves me wrong. I'm just not really feeling it though.

Comment

• In what way does Jonas not fit?

He's generally been playing great all season. It's the bench that's broken and it's not JV's fault. The bench has also been bad with Ibaka in there. Presumably the idea behind swapping JV and Thompson is that Thompson would replicate much of what Ibaka brings minus the range. But again, the bench is broken regardless of the big playing there. It's not the problem

JV is having his best season and playing his least minutes ever. When your minutes vary that much and are generally limited, there are bound to be nights that don't look good because you don't get the chance to play through struggles, or don't get enough opportunity in the limited minutes. Ibaka has had some games this year where he's only been good for one quarter or one half, but he gets to play through the ups and downs more.

People want to figure out why the bench isn't working compared to last year, look no further than Siakam's promotion to the starting lineup. I love the way Pascal is playing and think he's taking that step many hoped for this summer, where now he looks like he could have a shot at being an all-star player (heck, if he keeps starting and improving as the season goes on, he could have a shot at one this year as a reserve, I think...a slim one, but some kind of shot). However, I think with the way the bench is struggling, it's become apparent that Pascal was the catalyst for that unit. FVV might have gotten the 6th man votes, and was the leader of that group, but Pascal's game kind of set the tone for their identity.

Now the bench misses that, and nothing fits. You have Fred pressing. You have the game slowing down into the halfcourt, but JV still not being well involved on a consistent basis, while we watch guys like Fred dribble down the clock and Miles going rogue with out of control drives. We don't play fast and can't replicate the way the bench played last year. Delon also seems to be suffering from this, even though he's been fairly efficient. He just is not getting a lot of opportunities to do anything.

The coach has to decide if he wants to alter the way the bench plays, or make a simpler rotation move like moving Pascal to the bench, though that seems unfair to him it would probably be the most obvious attempt to fix things. You could probably do it without him taking a big hit in minutes...he's up close to 30mpg now, so that would probably come down at least slightly. It would still fit better, though, if Ibaka went with him and JV moved up with OG into the starting lineup. I still think that would be the best use of personnel, mostly because I still don't trust that Ibaka will look much better than late last season come playoff time. And JV fits well with the starters (even with Siakam in there), so that's not an issue. OG would not be able to replicate Pascal's production, but he would likely have a bigger impact with the starters than he does with the messed up bench units we've been using.

If he's not interested in trying that, he'll have to make some adjustments, possibly major ones, to how the bench units try to play. It's still early, and I don't know what to expect from Nurse, but I don't think he'll change things up. I think this is working so well he's going to try and ride it to the end of the season, regardless of the bench's consistency/effectiveness. He'll just increase minutes for starters, which is so screwed up when you think how deep we are. Really, the only guy who I have beef with is CJ (and Fred but only at certain times, CJ is always bad). CJ is our 10th man, so that's not an issue. We can literally remove him from the rotation and still theoretically not have to overextend anyone's minutes from the top 9 if we just spread his minutes around.

It shouldn't be this hard to make both units, or really all units if things get staggered more, work positively on a regular basis. We really do have more than enough depth and talent. Still, it's early, so I'll try not to let it get to me for another month or two.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Dec 2, 2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X