X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnderdogRaptors wrote: View Post
    JV is soft
    No he isn't

He is one of our most physical players actually with how much he leans and pushes opposing bigs. You only reference one play he doesn't really do anymore

Comment

• well thats because he doesnt post up properly anymore...just does that video game glitch, ugly ass, up fake up fake up fake turnover move now

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Interesting point.

In DeRozan's first year under Casey he certainly took a step back (DD's 3rd year).

Would Casey have ever played him as a 19 year old rookie? Would he have received the Ross/JV treatment? I think so.
        I absolutely think so and as a result he might have been so much efficient and a better defender

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I absolutely think so and as a result he might have been so much efficient and a better defender
          Or he could have struggled with his confidence and never put the work in because, "Why bother?"

It is fun hypothesizing on what coulda/shoulda/woulda been.

Comment

• So in the game against Detroit:

JV plays the entire first quarter and played quite well, and has since sat on the bench. Hasn't entered yet with ~2:30 left in the second. Does this sound right to all you guys who think his minutes are being handled properly??

Personally I would have subbed JV out as soon as Drummond was in the first, and subbed him back in as soon as Drummond was in order to match up our size with theirs as well as help control the boards as much as possible. Luckily we haven't been killed too much.

Comment

• JV entered in at 1:30

Legs didn't have any lift and didn't have a chance to even impact the game

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                JV entered in at 1:30

Legs didn't have any lift and didn't have a chance to even impact the game
                I have officially lost all faith in CASEY this is ridiculous
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  So in the game against Detroit:

JV plays the entire first quarter and played quite well, and has since sat on the bench. Hasn't entered yet with ~2:30 left in the second. Does this sound right to all you guys who think his minutes are being handled properly??

Personally I would have subbed JV out as soon as Drummond was in the first, and subbed him back in as soon as Drummond was in order to match up our size with theirs as well as help control the boards as much as possible. Luckily we haven't been killed too much.
                  He got the Ross treatment tonight (In the first half). Sucks that he played a really solid game with good energy, was dominant on the boards, but could only get 25 minutes total. I know he had 5 fouls but even in the 4th He could've been used better I think.

Comment

• I think some of you guys are blowing this JV minutes thing out of proportion. I too, would like to see him get more minutes, but more importantly, I'd like to see him better utilized in the minutes that he does get. If this were case, he would get more shots, be more integrated into the offense, be more interested and determined to do all the other things he is expected to do (rebound, set screens, box out), probably a better defender, and very likely would have more confidence. That would give him a better chance to impact the game than extra minutes would because otherwise, those extra minutes are just JV trying to box out and set screens. He needs to get 10-12 shots a game, and even more post-ups so he gets the chance to learn to pass out of the post.

Integrate him into the system more and he will perform better, and then those extra minutes are actually justified.

On a side note: you gotta love the guy. He plays with such emotion, he even gets pumped when he draws a foul, in a way that most guys would if they just posterized somebody. GO JV!!!

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Except Ross was already very good in those areas for a young player. So you could argue that if Casey had DeMar in his first couple of years, he'd have an even shorter leash than Ross because he couldn't shoot or defend, and possibly never get the chance to develop.
                      DeRozan was considered to have great defensive potential coming out of the draft.

I'm sure if you search you can find more examples, but just look at his dx profile:

- Commitment to playing defense
                      - Lateral quickness
                      - Versatility to defend multiple positions
                      http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demar-DeRozan-1319/
                      Last edited by imanshumpert; Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Interesting point.

In DeRozan's first year under Casey he certainly took a step back (DD's 3rd year).

Would Casey have ever played him as a 19 year old rookie? Would he have received the Ross/JV treatment? I think so.
                        DeRozan's play took a step back in his third year, because the Raptors pace significantly decreased. We went from a running team (11th in pace) to a half-court one (25th). This meant less easy baskets in transition (an area where DeMar thrives), and more tough shots in half-court sets. It's not like Casey was making DeMar play bad basketball, DD was adjusting to a completely different philosophy on offence.

Comment

• Proves that even DX can occasionally get things wrong, as DeRozan does not have good lateral quickness.

Comment

Or he could have struggled with his confidence and never put the work in because, "Why bother?"

It is fun hypothesizing on what coulda/shoulda/woulda been.
                            so..give JV and Ross 2 more seasons under Casey and revisit this topic?

Comment

• Anyone catch JV's comments in the interview with Rod Black at the end of yesterday's game? I don't have a quote, but it was something along the lines of "I'm supposed to rebound and play defense" - JV.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but to me it was very telling. JV (to me) said it in a way like he feels like he should be doing more than just rebounding and playing defese, ie. being given a bigger role on offense. Also telling of what Casey wants and that's for JV to be more of a role player on offense right now and focus on the rebounding and defense and being a leader on that end. Only I don't see Casey as doing this because he wants JV to only be a role player forever, but because he wants JV to get his fundamentals right, and learn the things which will make him a very important player in the league for years to come, first. Be that important cog in the starting lineup that will take this team the furthest and as time goes by and he earns the right to be a more important part of the offense he will get those shots, as he moves up the pecking order. He's not a rookie that is transcendent like Durrant or LBJ, so he's not going to earn shots over the vets.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting quote, but I'm probably reading into it.

Comment

• I saw that quote too. It seems like he thinks his role is to do the dirty work, and nothing more.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X