Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Anyone catch JV's comments in the interview with Rod Black at the end of yesterday's game? I don't have a quote, but it was something along the lines of "I'm supposed to rebound and play defense" - JV.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but to me it was very telling. JV (to me) said it in a way like he feels like he should be doing more than just rebounding and playing defese, ie. being given a bigger role on offense. Also telling of what Casey wants and that's for JV to be more of a role player on offense right now and focus on the rebounding and defense and being a leader on that end. Only I don't see Casey as doing this because he wants JV to only be a role player forever, but because he wants JV to get his fundamentals right, and learn the things which will make him a very important player in the league for years to come, first. Be that important cog in the starting lineup that will take this team the furthest and as time goes by and he earns the right to be a more important part of the offense he will get those shots, as he moves up the pecking order. He's not a rookie that is transcendent like Durrant or LBJ, so he's not going to earn shots over the vets.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting quote, but I'm probably reading into it.
    I agree with you, I thought the same after hearing the interview. Throughout the season, I've got the feeling that JV is unsatisfied with his role. And I'm not sure that I agree with Casey's approach, if in fact you are right about that. I just feel that JV and the team would benefit if his role was increased marginally in the offense. He doesn't have to be a focal point at all, but I feel that he would be a better two way player if he was looked to score more often than he presently he is. Like you said, he isn't Durant or LBJ, but nor is he Amir.

I don't think giving him the ball more would be a detriment to the team, but of course, what do I know. Perhaps it is best for him to focus on the fundamentals first as you suggested, and let the scoring come later. It's hard to say, but given his apparent frustration, I would give the guy some more offensive responsibility.

Comment

• ^^^Maybe. I wouldn't read much into it at this point. He could've also meant it like he knows he can't let his struggles affect him and he has to at least defend and rebound, so that he can stay on the floor and hopefully be a bigger part of the team.

Again, I don't think the big issue is with minutes in terms of quantity, it's more about consistency and quality. Last night was again weird. He was playing great. And while there's lots of criticism/debate about his impact on the floor, last night was one where he was clearly a big reason for our success. He played the whole 1st quarter, then sat for more than 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter (until a minute and a half left or so)....kinda weird. He was not in foul trouble, and the team was not playing better without him last night.

I just think Casey is horrible at managing rotations/minutes in general. Like he loses track of how long guys have been in/out of the game. And his lineup/matchup choices can be quite random.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

I don't think giving him the ball more would be a detriment to the team, but of course, what do I know. Perhaps it is best for him to focus on the fundamentals first as you suggested, and let the scoring come later. It's hard to say, but given his apparent frustration, I would give the guy some more offensive responsibility.
        The bold makes sense, because he still has defensive and rebounding weaknesses. I think his offensive game will come easy to him once he gets the fundamentals down pat. With his talent and good fundamentals, he will be a very good center

Comment

• Didn't think I'd ever see the JV/Hayes combo, but yes I ticked that one off last night. I don't even think Detroit were going big at the time.

It's not the first time JV has said that, earlier this season he was interviewed about not getting many touches and he simply said " my job is to rebound and defend"

Comment

• I mean, he was rebounding and defending last night, and he still only got 25 minutes. More odd than the minute total, half of them came in the 1st quarter, and then he only got 13 of the next 36 minutes despite being a very positive factor on the floor. He could just be confused as to what he has to do to get consistent minutes.

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
              The bold makes sense, because he still has defensive and rebounding weaknesses. I think his offensive game will come easy to him once he gets the fundamentals down pat. With his talent and good fundamentals, he will be a very good center
              I've mentioned this before, but last year he had the highest TS% of any rookie centre EVER. He's isn't a stiff offensively. He can be a weapon. To let his offence be an afterthought is misusing the talent at hand.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                I mean, he was rebounding and defending last night, and he still only got 25 minutes. More odd than the minute total, half of them came in the 1st quarter, and then he only got 13 of the next 36 minutes despite being a very positive factor on the floor. He could just be confused as to what he has to do to get consistent minutes.
                Whether we're talking about Valanciunas or any other player, I've often been dumbfounded by Casey's lack of a true rotation, in favor of long shifts for entire units (barring foul trouble forcing his hand). I don't get why players are left out for such long stints, especially when its an entire unit being left for 6-10 minutes.

You don't need to be a basketball genius or professional coach to understand that players lose focus and energy when left on the court for such long stretches; and conversely get cold/rusty and out of the flow of the game, when left on the bench for equally long stretches. Plus, the idea of a 'rotation' is that you stagger the times when players are rested, to ensure that there is always a mix of starters (generally the team's better players) and backups on the court at all times. I don't agree with his continued approach of employing hockey-style line shifts, and he very often leaves players in way too long, to the point that their effectiveness is diminished.

I understand the need to account for foul trouble, to play the matchup game (both proactively and reactively) and to hold players accountable, but none of that explains his sorry excuse for a proper player rotation. Not only does it have the potential to negatively impact player development, but it also has the potential to negatively impact the outcome of games.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Could be a case of Casey trying to simplify the game for JV, so he focuses on what he's most needed to do out there. Sort of slowing the game down for him. Like you, I'm not concerned about his offensive game as he already has shown a great touch around the rim. He's already a good centre I think, but it's being a defensive anchor that will make him great one day.

Comment

Could be a case of Casey trying to simplify the game for JV, so he focuses on what he's most needed to do out there. Sort of slowing the game down for him. Like you, I'm not concerned about his offensive game as he already has shown a great touch around the rim. He's already a good centre I think, but it's being a defensive anchor that will make him great one day.
                    Noah with a jumpshot

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      DeRozan was considered to have great defensive potential coming out of the draft.

I'm sure if you search you can find more examples, but just look at his dx profile:
                      Regardless, he was nothing special (understandable for most young guys) in his first year. And he couldn't shoot from even 10 feet, let alone 23. I mean, Fields is a pretty solid defensive player who can defend multiple positions, but he never sees the court, and he plays with generally high bball IQ all around.

Comment

• "As mentioned last week in this space, Valanciunas had a sign put up in his locker reminding him of what the team wants from him: Rebound, set good, legal screens and give a great effort at both ends every time he’s on the court."

preschooler treatment

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Whether we're talking about Valanciunas or any other player, I've often been dumbfounded by Casey's lack of a true rotation, in favor of long shifts for entire units (barring foul trouble forcing his hand). I don't get why players are left out for such long stints, especially when its an entire unit being left for 6-10 minutes.

You don't need to be a basketball genius or professional coach to understand that players lose focus and energy when left on the court for such long stretches; and conversely get cold/rusty and out of the flow of the game, when left on the bench for equally long stretches. Plus, the idea of a 'rotation' is that you stagger the times when players are rested, to ensure that there is always a mix of starters (generally the team's better players) and backups on the court at all times. I don't agree with his continued approach of employing hockey-style line shifts, and he very often leaves players in way too long, to the point that their effectiveness is diminished.

I understand the need to account for foul trouble, to play the matchup game (both proactively and reactively) and to hold players accountable, but none of that explains his sorry excuse for a proper player rotation. Not only does it have the potential to negatively impact player development, but it also has the potential to negatively impact the outcome of games.
                          Couldn't have said it better myself. His hockey style line shifts is what has confused me the most about him. Like why does Hayes have to even play? Why can't you just have a three big lineup of Jonas, Amir and Tyler? Why does he have to have the whole bench on the floor for long stretches? He only ever has either Terrence on DD with the bench and Vasquez ignores both of them so it's like they're not even there. I think one starting big and one Starting perimeter player should be on the floor at all times unless there's foul trouble or someone gets injured. I don't understand why that is so hard for DC to do.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Noah with a jumpshot
                            Duncan without the patience or basketball IQ..yet.

Comment

Duncan without the patience or basketball IQ..yet.
                              And without the classic death stare.
                              OG is our king

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                "As mentioned last week in this space, Valanciunas had a sign put up in his locker reminding him of what the team wants from him: Rebound, set good, legal screens and give a great effort at both ends every time he’s on the court."

preschooler treatment
                                This is a joke, right?
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X