No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise is OK but I think people should have a candidate before firing the coach. The leafs fire coaches without really having a replacement in mind. I don't love Casey but see no one else better.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Duncan joined the league in the 97-98 season. Popovich was the head coach for one season prior to that and guess what the winning percentage that season was...27%

Nobody thinks Casey is better than Pop, but Casey isn't as bad as you think either. Look what he's been able to do without any real stars. How much better would Casey look if he had a Dwight Howard or Duncan type all world talent on this roster? Just don't see why the hate for a pretty good coach.
      Because I don't see a pretty good coach. I see a fully average coach who has repeatedly made the same mistakes going even back to his stint in Minny. And I really want to see what he's like in the playoffs, because his flaws seem like they can absolutely be very costly in that situation, where coaching, specifically the ability to adjust between and within games, is far more important than in the regular season.

Vinny Del Negro has consistently had solid seasons as a coach....and there's pretty wide consensus that he's a pretty terrible head coach.

Talent matters more than coach, but the coach needs to be great to help push you over the top.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Because I don't see a pretty good coach. I see a fully average coach who has repeatedly made the same mistakes going even back to his stint in Minny. And I really want to see what he's like in the playoffs, because his flaws seem like they can absolutely be very costly in that situation, where coaching, specifically the ability to adjust between and within games, is far more important than in the regular season.

Vinny Del Negro has consistently had solid seasons as a coach....and there's pretty wide consensus that he's a pretty terrible head coach.

Talent matters more than coach, but the coach needs to be great to help push you over the top.
        Regarding this season, with the exception of a few games (like many coaches in the league - making mistakes), I thought Casey has done a terrific job, I don't see a bad coach.

This season was supposed to be a team that was a fringe-8th seed, 7th seed at best. With the East sucking so badly this season, it's still a joy to see the Raptors consistently better then most teams in their conference, considering Brooklyn has kinda transformed into what they were supposed to be, along with Chicago showing their true colours as a team without Rose. The top 4-5 teams in the conference are not a joke, and can definitely give any top tier team a run for their money.

Casey's defensive identity has been in full effect, along with improvement offensively; drastically.

I mean, the past years weren't even competition compared to this season in terms of the talent.

Year 1: Calderon, DeRozan, Butler, Bargnani, Amir to start the season. (Guys like Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Carter, Aaron Gray, James Johnson were the bench, yikes)
        Year 2: Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargnani, Valanciunas. (A rookie centre, Fields who was pretty bad at the time, and JV who is a rookie centre).
        Year 3: Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson, Valanciunas (Granted, Rudy was traded, but was a square peg trying to fit into a circle hole. Ross steps in, much improved and with consistent opportunity/playing time, improved JV, with a better bench of NOW Vasquez, Patterson, Hansbrough, Salmons, De Colo, etc.)

Like you said, the talent matters more than the coach, he finally got that, but still, looking at that roster from my point of view, it's still a late seed even in the East, 5th at best! Coach Casey isn't a great coach per say, but he is definitely capable of improving a team and who knows, pushing them farther. The team has exceeded expectations at a high rate, what's stopping us from thinking he can't keep going? He's still inexperienced in terms of being the top diggy-dawg.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I think if Casey is extended he might play younger players more rather than riding Lowry,Amir to death for wins.Toronto's window is probably 3-4 years similar to Indy after they rebuilt after losing the first round with Granger/PG/Hibbert

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

C'mon, you're telling me if you insert KD at the 3 on this roster that we couldn't be easily sitting with 10 to 15 more wins? Especially with all those close loses? We have 53 wins right now and nobody is questioning Casey. You telling me Casey isn't on par or better than Scott Brooks?

Just another thing to think about is that you become a better coach with time. Casey has already shown improvement with his time out calls and with inbound plays. He will get better with time and more talent. Just to clarify I'm not comparing him with the greats but I think he's plenty good to lead this roster.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
              Regarding this season, with the exception of a few games (like many coaches in the league - making mistakes), I thought Casey has done a terrific job, I don't see a bad coach.

This season was supposed to be a team that was a fringe-8th seed, 7th seed at best. With the East sucking so badly this season, it's still a joy to see the Raptors consistently better then most teams in their conference, considering Brooklyn has kinda transformed into what they were supposed to be, along with Chicago showing their true colours as a team without Rose. The top 4-5 teams in the conference are not a joke, and can definitely give any top tier team a run for their money.

Casey's defensive identity has been in full effect, along with improvement offensively; drastically.

I mean, the past years weren't even competition compared to this season in terms of the talent.

Year 1: Calderon, DeRozan, Butler, Bargnani, Amir to start the season. (Guys like Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Carter, Aaron Gray, James Johnson were the bench, yikes)
              Year 2: Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargnani, Valanciunas. (A rookie centre, Fields who was pretty bad at the time, and JV who is a rookie centre).
              Year 3: Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson, Valanciunas (Granted, Rudy was traded, but was a square peg trying to fit into a circle hole. Ross steps in, much improved and with consistent opportunity/playing time, improved JV, with a better bench of NOW Vasquez, Patterson, Hansbrough, Salmons, De Colo, etc.)

Like you said, the talent matters more than the coach, he finally got that, but still, looking at that roster from my point of view, it's still a late seed even in the East, 5th at best! Coach Casey isn't a great coach per say, but he is definitely capable of improving a team and who knows, pushing them farther. The team has exceeded expectations at a high rate, what's stopping us from thinking he can't keep going? He's still inexperienced in terms of being the top diggy-dawg.
              Thats a great point about Casey giving this team a much needed identity for being defensive. In past years what were they known for other than being a joke?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                Thats a great point about Casey giving this team a much needed identity for being defensive. In past years what were they known for other than being a joke?
                Exactly. There was always a mix of two styles, one night Jay Triano or Sam Mitchell would demand defensively, one week later he's complaining about the lack of offence.

I actually watched glimpses of a game from the 2011 year, where the Raptors had Calderon/Bayless, DeRozan, Johnson/Weems, Bargnani/Davis, Amir were the the main players. My goodness, help defence was awful, the offence was strictly fast-break and Bargnani post-ups/P-&-Pop's, etc. The talent wasn't even bad, lots of young guys however, but there was such a messed up mix of everything.

Casey & his assistants - who deserve as much credit as Casey does - have done an spectacular job of allowing each player to do what they do best, and its shown on the court and statistically.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. There was always a mix of two styles, one night Jay Triano or Sam Mitchell would demand defensively, one week later he's complaining about the lack of offence.

I actually watched glimpses of a game from the 2011 year, where the Raptors had Calderon/Bayless, DeRozan, Johnson/Weems, Bargnani/Davis, Amir were the the main players. My goodness, help defence was awful, the offence was strictly fast-break and Bargnani post-ups/P-&-Pop's, etc. The talent wasn't even bad, lots of young guys however, but there was such a messed up mix of everything.

Casey & his assistants - who deserve as much credit as Casey does - have done an spectacular job of allowing each player to do what they do best, and its shown on the court and statistically.
                  Maybe there should be an "Everything Dwane Casey" thread, as this is a JV thread you're talking in.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                    Maybe there should be an "Everything Dwane Casey" thread, as this is a JV thread you're talking in.
                    Good point, but sometimes these sub-topics appear, sir.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                      I feel you, Dwayne Casey gets brought up in everything
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                        I feel you, Dwayne Casey gets brought up in everything
                        I slept badly last night...Damn you Casey!

Comment

I slept badly last night...Damn you Casey!
                          There have been many nights where I fall asleep clutching my pillow weeping over the nails in Ross' ass on the bench.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            There have been many nights where I fall asleep clutching my pillow weeping over the nails in Ross' ass on the bench.
                            He was nailed to the bench for our sins.
                            OG is our king

Comment

• Soo Jonas is pulling down more Rebounds Per Game than Roy Hibbert ever has.

Not to mention Hibbert is averaging a Brook Lopez-esque, 6.6rpg. Brutal.

Jonas > Hibbert

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Soo Jonas is pulling down more Rebounds Per Game than Roy Hibbert ever has.

Not to mention Hibbert is averaging a Brook Lopez-esque, 6.6rpg. Brutal.

Jonas > Hibbert
                                Star player Hibbert is averaging less rebounds and points than valanciunis and he does this while shooting a lower field goal percentage than gay. Now that, is the true meaning of all star right there
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X