Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I personally believe both Bebe and AJ are better rim protectors than JV.
    I agree, although with BeBe we don't have NBA proof of that, or of anything really.

But in terms of an overall package of rim protection and rebounding, Jonas is the better of he and Amir. As much as he is still catching up to the speed of the game, he is long and is pretty effective protecting the rim. This year is a small sample yet, but looking at last year's numbers, Jonas allowed 51% shooting at the rim, Amir allowed 48%. Not drastically different, and Jonas did it on a bigger sample (1.5 more contests per game). And Jonas is miles ahead rebounding wise - Amir is many things, but an elite rebounder is not one of them.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      Not consistently enough though. Gotta play the hot hand.

Aren't there a bunch of stats that point otherwise? I think he's got the worst net rating of the starters right now, doesn't he?
      Yeah, but not by much. Barely worse than Lowry's net rating. I'd hardly argue Lowry should be sitting at any point, would you?

And who is the hot hand exactly that we are playing at C? Tyler Hansbrough?
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think he's got the worst net rating of the starters right now, doesn't he?
        Yes he is, due to his DRAT. I don't trust DRAT at all as a personal preference.

Looking into stats, does anyone know how useful/accurate the OBPM/DBPM/BPM stats are on basketball reference?

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
          Zach Lowe chimes in on Valanciunas, and mostly not in a positive way:
          Nah, of all the sportswriters in US media, Lowe knows the Raptors roster the best. I think he's a closet fan that just recognizes JV's potential (and limitations).

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            Yes he is, due to his DRAT. I don't trust DRAT at all as a personal preference.

Looking into stats, does anyone know how useful/accurate the OBPM/DBPM/BPM stats are on basketball reference?
            NBA.com's DRTG is an on-court team rating, which is much more useful than BBall-ref's old individual ratings, which I agree were largely useless.

The BPM stats are supposed to be just like APM - but they were made intentionally less accurate so they could be built entirely from the box score rather than play by play data, which is not available historically.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Not consistently enough though. Gotta play the hot hand.

Aren't there a bunch of stats that point otherwise? I think he's got the worst net rating of the starters right now, doesn't he?
              According to 82games.com, Lowry and DeRozan on/off court net +/- are worst on team at -6.8 and -8.3. JV is -5.3. Amir and Ross are only positive starters at 7.1 and 3.8.

According to basketball-reference, DeRozan is the worst net ORtg/DRtg at 6 followed by Ross at 8, JV at 15, Lowry at 19, and Amir at 27.

Comment

• FWIW: Opponents are shooting 53.3% at the rim on Jonas and 54.4% on Anthony Davis.

Just a few blocks and some 20-20 games away from AD level greatness!!!
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                  Nah, of all the sportswriters in US media, Lowe knows the Raptors roster the best. I think he's a closet fan that just recognizes JV's potential (and limitations).
                  Zach Lowe just knows everyone's roster that well. And writes about everyone's roster as much as the Raptors, more or less. That's why he stands out from a lot of the NYK/BOS/LAL centric US writers. He's typically my first go-to for basketball writing.

Pretty disappointed with this week's article by him though. I agree with the premise, but he's better than getting dragged into the "Is Chris Paul a superstar even though he can't get past the second round?" debate.
                  That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    NBA.com's DRTG is an on-court team rating, which is much more useful than BBall-ref's old individual ratings, which I agree were largely useless.

The BPM stats are supposed to be just like APM - but they were made intentionally less accurate so they could be built entirely from the box score rather than play by play data, which is not available historically.
                    I took the DRAT from NBA.com

Thanks.

Comment

• I can't believe I'm saying this, but if JV played defense as well as Chuck Hayes he'd probably be an All-Star.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                        I can't believe I'm saying this, but if JV played defense as well as Chuck Hayes he'd probably be an All-Star.
                        hahahah

Fair. Chuck is a very underrated player defensively. He literally can't be used in many situations (maybe a few years ago, but not now), but the one(s) he's good for he's amazing. He's been in the league this long because of how good he is defensively. We haven't had a guy with his post D ability/savvy basically since Oak and Davis were around.

I was honestly surprised he didn't get the nod in the 1st half over Hansbrough. This is the worst kind of game for Tyler. Two physical players who are bigger than him, basically making it impossible for him to be effective.

Comment

• Some tweets from Zach Lowe. The first tweet also posted by rocwell in the last game thread, but I added some more.

This was really just an excuse for me to post this (from after the Memphis game):

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Great win!

I think the JV concern is this: if we don't get him minutes in pressure situations, how is he ever going to get acclimated to those situations? You don't develop mental toughness by continually being afraid to make mistakes.

It's just short-term thinking at the expense of long-term growth.

Ha! Zach Lowe is channeling my thoughts! Lol.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Some tweets from Zach Lowe. The first tweet also posted by rocwell in the last game thread, but I added some more.

This was really just an excuse for me to post this (from after the Memphis game):

Ha! Zach Lowe is channeling my thoughts! Lol.
                            Agreed.

Obviously the 4th quarters for "We the Fourth" have been great, but JV has the potential to make them even better - certainly down the road if he continues to develop.

Also, JV's confidence seems to be coming around. KL is putting a lot of intentional effort into getting Valanciunas going and making sure he's got opportunities after the first 3 minutes. That'll continue to pay off.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Jonas' stats breakdown (you can filter it to see the breakdown by quarter):

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202685/stats/

Of note:

He's averaging 4 minutes of PT in the fourth, by far the least out of any quarter.

He shoots his best FG and FT% in the fourth, and has his best turnover%.

Now, given their excellent start to the season, it's hard to argue (in these forums especially) with anything that the Raptors have done so far. But, you can't argue that they're systematically limiting Jonas' 4th quarter minutes. If anyone can find some statistical evidence that he has ever played poorly, or even slightly less effectively, in the fourth, I'd be interested to see it.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I think the problem is based on our defensive schemes the big has to be able to hedge hard and recover back against all these lightning quick guards. While JV does well in a slower tempo we get abused on that second line of defense with him in
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X