No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol, how about the coaching staff actually knows what they're doing, and they put JV out there in the 4th when he can be effective, thus the good 4th qtr stats? Any chance that's happening?

lol, this is hilarious. I appreciate that Zack Lowe pays more attention to the Raps than any other U.S. based national media, but taking more stock in what a writer thinks they should do with JV, than a highly paid professional NBA coaching staff that deal with him every day, and are the actual ones with a stake in JVs development, and have their team at 13-2? Pure gold Jerry, pure gold.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      I think the problem is based on our defensive schemes the big has to be able to hedge hard and recover back against all these lightning quick guards. While JV does well in a slower tempo we get abused on that second line of defense with him in
      Because Hayes and Hansbrough are such quickfooted, elite p'n'r defenders...???

Comment

• I find Hayes especially, but Hansbrough as well just have better awareness of where to be on the court. There were a bunch of occassions during the Atlanta game where JV just doesn't anticipate where the ball is going and gives up these easy lay ups at the rim.

Maybe he needs those minutes to learn from his mistakes, but I think he gets plenty of minutes during the first half where the experience factor is not being lost becaue he's not out there in the 4th.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Because Hayes and Hansbrough are such quickfooted, elite p'n'r defenders...???
          But it's not usually Hayes or Hansbrough in crunch time either. They play a little more in the 4th, being part of the bench unit that starts the quarter, but as soon as the chips are down, more often it's the small ball forwards with Amir and Patterson. Or it's Chuck playing against Marc Gasol.

Here's the issue. If it's a small ball matchup like Atlanta, you don't want Val in there because he's not quick enough to close the outside shooters. If it's a team like Memphis or Chicago, with a strong front presence, Val isn't usually strong enough to handle them. So he's kind of stuck in this in-between land matchup wise.

I don't really believe giving Val more reps in pressure situations makes much of a difference in terms of his ability to handle them. He did just fine on the big stage in the World Cup, and against Brooklyn where he was getting crunch time play. But I could be wrong.
          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
            lol, this is hilarious. I appreciate that Zack Lowe pays more attention to the Raps than any other U.S. based national media, but taking more stock in what a writer thinks they should do with JV, than a highly paid professional NBA coaching staff that deal with him every day, and are the actual ones with a stake in JVs development, and have their team at 13-2? Pure gold Jerry, pure gold.
            1) Everyone who works in the NBA is a highly paid professional, that doesn't mean they're infallible.

2) Short term Chuck+Hansborough is great. Long-term not truly developing a 7-foot legit centre with athleticism is very bad.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
              1) Everyone who works in the NBA is a highly paid professional, that doesn't mean they're infallible.

2) Short term Chuck+Hansborough is great. Long-term not truly developing a 7-foot legit centre with athleticism is very bad.
              What is the saying?

GMs think 1-3 seasons ahead. Coaches think 1-3 games ahead.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post

1. Didn't come close to saying they're infallible. Did come close to saying that this particular criticism is idiotic, but didn't say that either

2. Based on what knowledge and expertise is this "very bad"? RR members? Who here thinks Masai gave Casey a new contract, while thinking Casey and staff are being "very bad" in how they're developing JV?

C'mon folks. Any Masai fans here? Masai's a genius except he's a fool in giving the stamp of approval to a coaching staff that now has the team at 13-2? Zack Lowe knows better than Masai too, eh

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
                  1. Didn't come close to saying they're infallible. Did come close to saying that this particular criticism is idiotic, but didn't say that either

2. Based on what knowledge and expertise is this "very bad"? RR members? Who here thinks Masai gave Casey a new contract, while thinking Casey and staff are being "very bad" in how they're developing JV?

C'mon folks. Any Masai fans here? Masai's a genius except he's a fool in giving the stamp of approval to a coaching staff that now has the team at 13-2? Zack Lowe knows better than Masai too, eh
                  Two year extension with a team option for a 3rd doesn't sound like an overwhelming vote of confidence especially when Masai brought in a couple of assistants to work on the staff and the team is apparently gearing up for a big free agent wooing in 2016. Good way to woo a free agent is bring in a coach he likes. There is a pretty good history of older, more experienced coaches doing the dirty work with developing a team only to let a young guy or inexperienced head coach take over when the heavy lifting is done (Vogel, Brooks, Thibodeau).

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Two year extension with a team option for a 3rd doesn't sound like an overwhelming vote of confidence especially when Masai brought in a couple of assistants to work on the staff and the team is apparently gearing up for a big free agent wooing in 2016. Good way to woo a free agent is bring in a coach he likes. There is a pretty good history of older, more experienced coaches doing the dirty work with developing a team only to let a young guy or inexperienced head coach take over when the heavy lifting is done (Vogel, Brooks, Thibodeau).
                    But aren`t we talking about the development of JV, now, not 3-4 years from now. Big stamp of approval for what the man is doing with this team NOW, including developing JV. That``s what we`re talking about, I think

Comment

• People still calling for Casey's head so that they can see more of JV?? Is that even a guarantee? What if the next coach doesn't play him or they don't get along?.....then what? Pretty soon we'll call for the next coaches head so that we can see more Bruno.... at 13-2 i'm willing to give our head coach the benefit of the doubt!

I think JV will get his minutes increased when he plays better defense and improves his conditioning. I think EVERYONE knows that defense comes first in Casey's book. So for now, JV will learn by playing and also from watching Chuck Hayes/others play a few minutes a night. JV still plays A LOT and we all see the GOOD and the small mistakes. Also, sometimes Casey HAS to go small to cover the teams that have stretch 4s and 5s. This is definitely not because of something JV did or didn't do.

In the meantime, JV has to continue to be mentally strong and Casey's defensive principles have to become second nature. I think Casey is doing it the right way. If you want to play, as our last line of defense/rim protector, you MUST defend. Seems fair to me. People keep forgetting that the guy is only 22 years old. He's playing against VETERANS more often than not. He WILL become a better defender and when he does....watch out.

Comment

• If Casey can win without JV in the 4th, and Masai believes in Casey then we should probably consider trading JV now while his stock is probably at his highest (rookie contract that has not been extended yet). If you have no faith in your young big man now while the season is early and the games basically don't matter as much then when is that faith going to actually come? I doubt it will occur later in the season or in the playoffs when games suddenly start mattering a lot.

JV's in his 3rd season so it's not like he's still a baby.

Will be interesting to see how it gets played out.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                          People still calling for Casey's head so that they can see more of JV?? Is that even a guarantee? What if the next coach doesn't play him or they don't get along?.....then what? Pretty soon we'll call for the next coaches head so that we can see more Bruno.... at 13-2 i'm willing to give our head coach the benefit of the doubt!

I think JV will get his minutes increased when he plays better defense and improves his conditioning. I think EVERYONE knows that defense comes first in Casey's book. So for now, JV will learn by playing and also from watching Chuck Hayes/others play a few minutes a night. JV still plays A LOT and we all see the GOOD and the small mistakes. Also, sometimes Casey HAS to go small to cover the teams that have stretch 4s and 5s. This is definitely not because of something JV did or didn't do.

In the meantime, JV has to continue to be mentally strong and Casey's defensive principles have to become second nature. I think Casey is doing it the right way. If you want to play, as our last line of defense/rim protector, you MUST defend. Seems fair to me. People keep forgetting that the guy is only 22 years old. He's playing against VETERANS more often than not. He WILL become a better defender and when he does....watch out.
                          I've read posts suggesting/desiring that JV gets more playing time in the 4th quarter, but I haven't seen anybody calling for DC's head over it.

Comment

People still calling for Casey's head so that they can see more of JV?? Is that even a guarantee? What if the next coach doesn't play him or they don't get along?.....then what? Pretty soon we'll call for the next coaches head so that we can see more Bruno.... at 13-2 i'm willing to give our head coach the benefit of the doubt!

What some of us are saying is why not give him a chance even? If he's terrible bench him but by not playing him at all how's that fair to him?????

Also show me anything that says Jonas has played slightly bad ???

So you say defense comes first and I agree but Jonas isn't playing bad defense so why is benched? ??
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• If it ain't broken. Don't fix it.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Who is calling for his head?

Read the posts again.

The argument is JV should at least get a chance at playing some crunch time.

He might actually make those 4th quarters better now and even if not it will either pay off dividends in the future or the team will know what they have in terms of contract extension. As the Bulls showed a few years ago with Boozer, you don't want to pay a guy max money to have him sit in crunch time.

Comment

Working...
                                X