Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I have same memories and stats seem to confirm.

As rook: 16ft+ was 10.7% of his shots and he hit 39.5%
    As 2nd yr: 16+ was 8.6% and hit 32.8%
    So far in year 3: 16+ft 5.9% and hit 28.6%

Similar results for 10-16ft but in year two he had a slight bump of 2% of total shots however down significantly in year 3.

I feel as if Casey coaches from a "my way is the right way" perspective. In some instances, I have no issue with that especially when it comes to basic fundamentals or team principles. However I find he tries to pigeon hole players. For example, the handling of Lowry initially was taking away his strengths to play to what Casey desired. Eventually we've seen some give and take. When it comes to JV, I feel what he wants is a Tyson Chandler clone. Unfortunately, that isn't playing to JVs strengths nor is it making him the most effective.
    Those J's are one of the places JV looks the most hesitant/unsure. Damn, he's capable of playing a lot better already if he gets his confidence up.... I think it's tough for a big man to find his place in Casey's guard-heavy system, unless you get hustle buckets like Amir.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      Those J's are one of the places JV looks the most hesitant/unsure. Damn, he's capable of playing a lot better already if he gets his confidence up.... I think it's tough for a big man to find his place in Casey's guard-heavy system, unless you get hustle buckets like Amir.
      Casey makes it tough for bigs and wings. He should just go coach the Filipino national team.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Guard heavy indeed. 75% of the total shots are taken by guards (pg+sg+sf) on this team. Compare that to teams like Mem+Por+Wash+Bulls+ATL who are alll sitting around the 60%. Been sifting through some data and so far the next highest to the Raps has been GS at 66% (and they have Curry+Klay). I havent finished but was looking at relative win% to gaurd usage and FG% to see if it really is better to be guard oriented and if the league is better off moving in that direction. I don't know when I will have time to finish it...probably xmas

Anyways point being is that 75% is completely unbalanced and needs to change. Especially when you look at the fact that our bigs have great FG% and our guards not so much...

Casey has taken Guard dominant to a whole new level...and is more like a "guards only" offense.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Guard heavy indeed. 75% of the total shots are taken by guards (pg+sg+sf) on this team. Compare that to teams like Mem+Por+Wash+Bulls+ATL who are alll sitting around the 60%. Been sifting through some data and so far the next highest to the Raps has been GS at 66% (and they have Curry+Klay). I havent finished but was looking at relative win% to gaurd usage and FG% to see if it really is better to be guard oriented and if the league is better off moving in that direction. I don't know when I will have time to finish it...probably xmas

Anyways point being is that 75% is completely unbalanced and needs to change. Especially when you look at the fact that our bigs have great FG% and our guards not so much...

Casey has taken Guard dominant to a whole new level...and is more like a "guards only" offense.
          At this point Mark Jackson is looking good. His problem was not using guards enough and trying to play inside with his bigs. Both use fucked up hockey online changes

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            At this point Mark Jackson is looking good. His problem was not using guards enough and trying to play inside with his bigs. Both use fucked up hockey online changes
            Both Casey and Jackson are way too rigid. I wouldn't want Jackson even thinking about this team...dude is a awful coach. You can be rigid and have a very flexible offense (see SVG)

Basketball is a game of ebb and flow...and right now Casey is intent on pounding the rock with guards instead of flowing around it.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Both Casey and Jackson are way too rigid. I wouldn't want Jackson even thinking about this team...dude is a awful coach. You can be rigid and have a very flexible offense (see SVG)

Basketball is a game of ebb and flow...and right now Casey is intent on pounding the rock with guards instead of flowing around it.
              They both suck but would rather have a coach that sucks and feeds our bigs than a coach that sucks and forces guards to chuck. MJ improved GSW defense more than Casey improved Raptors with a better record and a playoff win. Also, an ex-raptor

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                They both suck but would rather have a coach that sucks and feeds our bigs than a coach that sucks and forces guards to chuck. MJ improved GSW defense more than Casey improved Raptors with a better record and a playoff win. Also, an ex-raptor
                I can agree with that.

However if we are talking about a coaching change there is no point trading one evil for another. At this point we would need a coach with top shelf qualities on both sides of the ball. No point trading one "evil" for another.

Casey, as much as I dislike his coaching, is still the best option at the moment.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  JV isn't "elite"

dude has no real outside threat beyond 5 feet to speak of, and that pretty important.

His up fake from 15-17 feet is embarrassing, both hands under the ball..... jesus its painful to look at.

I'm sure it can get better, but right now, average is a good label for JV.

You’re Shaq’tin a fool. lol.

Who really cares about JV’s mid-range jumpshot game at this stage. We’ve got a surplus of mid-range / perimeter guys on this roster. If there’s one thing this team desperately needs, it’s an interior presence – which would actually make those perimeter guys more dangerous. It doesn’t have to be post-ups, either. Why not run more pick & roll, which was JV’s strength coming into the league. Tyson Chandler can’t shoot or even post-up, for that matter, yet he puts tremendous pressure on the interior defenders on the pick & roll.

JV has an elite ORTG (124) already – which is fantastic. With DD out, this is perfect stretch of games to see how much usage JV can handle before his ORTG drops to DD levels (102) - which slightly above league average.

And make no mistake, before he went down, Demar had fallen off significantly in his offensive efficiency (FTs included) – this coming from a big Demar supporter.

Comment

• I dont think KL is vgood at p'n r

Comment

• This may not be well received, but I don't really like Dwayne Casey as a coach... Seems to get the best out of some players, mainly ball dominate guards, then lets others underachieve. 'Slow development' seems like an excuse to not use JV. I hate how people criticize JV and Ross, when in game it seems like they get VERY few few opportunities to prove themselves. JV's per game box score stats are virtually the same as last year (fewer minutes should be noted). The only way JV can get consistent offense is by crashing the glass. If he is not going to be used, isn't going to be played in the fourth quarter because Casey can't trust his defense then trade him for someone who will be just a stopper, or get a coach who will use the whole team effectively. Golden State got rid of Mark Jackson after winning more than 50 games so pointing out the Raps record seems like an insufficient excuse.

If this is how they use JV I can only imagine what Bruno's development will be like...

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                        This may not be well received, but I don't really like Dwayne Casey as a coach... Seems to get the best out of some players, mainly ball dominate guards, then lets others underachieve. 'Slow development' seems like an excuse to not use JV. I hate how people criticize JV and Ross, when in game it seems like they get VERY few few opportunities to prove themselves. JV's per game box score stats are virtually the same as last year (fewer minutes should be noted). The only way JV can get consistent offense is by crashing the glass. If he is not going to be used, isn't going to be played in the fourth quarter because Casey can't trust his defense then trade him for someone who will be just a stopper, or get a coach who will use the whole team effectively. Golden State got rid of Mark Jackson after winning more than 50 games so pointing out the Raps record seems like an insufficient excuse.

If this is how they use JV I can only imagine what Bruno's development will be like...
                        Does any of that matter when we are 15-4 ? Wins are the only thing that matters at this point, and Val will earn his minutes as he begins to help produce them consistently.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          This may not be well received, but I don't really like Dwayne Casey as a coach... Seems to get the best out of some players, mainly ball dominate guards, then lets others underachieve. 'Slow development' seems like an excuse to not use JV. I hate how people criticize JV and Ross, when in game it seems like they get VERY few few opportunities to prove themselves. JV's per game box score stats are virtually the same as last year (fewer minutes should be noted). The only way JV can get consistent offense is by crashing the glass. If he is not going to be used, isn't going to be played in the fourth quarter because Casey can't trust his defense then trade him for someone who will be just a stopper, or get a coach who will use the whole team effectively. Golden State got rid of Mark Jackson after winning more than 50 games so pointing out the Raps record seems like an insufficient excuse.

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          Does any of that matter when we are 15-4 ? Wins are the only thing that matters at this point, and Val will earn his minutes as he begins to help produce them consistently.
                          also jackson got fired cause he and management clashed. something casey doesn't do. if he only gets looks off of offensive rebounds, shouldn't he then just work harder at getting offensive rebounds? but seriously, teaching players how to play right while winning shouldn't be frowned upon. and it is ridiculous to suggest trading him for a rim protector. that is exactly what they are grooming him for.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            Yes, I believe it does.

Val is second on the team in WP despite being just 5th in minutes played. He is also 2nd in WP/48 after Lowry.

This talk that he has to earn his minutes has to stop. It is factually incorrect. He earns his minutes in spades. He is a valuable contributor to this team. Every player - especially 22 year olds - have up and down nights.

As for the 15-4 record, I think that is similar to a drunken sailor spending his pay cheque, blowing his savings, and racking up debt to let the good times roll. At some point he is going to sober up and realize he has a lot of financial work to do to catch up if he ever wants to be financially secure and independent. And if he never comes to that realization then he's not going to amount to much long term anyways.

Same thing with Jonas and the Raptors. Give him lots of reps now and reap the rewards later. The only difference is giving him lots of reps now doesn't hurt the team. Sure he is going to have off nights - all players do - but Casey/Raps don't stop perimeter guys chucking if they are having an off night - why any difference in the post?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Val is second on the team in WP despite being just 5th in minutes played. He is also 2nd in WP/48 after Lowry.
                              What is WP? Not familiar with this star at all. Wins produced?

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                                What is WP? Not familiar with this star at all. Wins produced?
                                Yes, wins produced. Although I meant to write WS (Win Shares) as per Basketball-Reference.com

Comment

Working...
                                X