Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    You say that like it's a good thing...

Oh, and Noah's a terrible offensive player. If he didn't become a good passer, he'd be Omer Asik out there, maybe worse.

*I'm also far from convinced those guys wouldn't get looked off...or rather, if Casey had to incorporate a big man who he basically would have no choice but to get the ball to, it would probably mean a shift in our O so some other player/position goes underutilized.
    I'm not saying it's good or bad. Its a reality. Doesn't matter how good you guys think JV is if his own teammates don't see him in the same light.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
      It's kind of hard to fast track a bigs development, isn't it? Stan Van Gundy is trying to do it in Detroit, and their team is terrible.

The biggest issue for JV (and Amir) is we just don't run straight-up pick and rolls. The truth might be that Lowry is a bad pick-and-roll point guard.
      Yes...this is pretty plain to see. Part of it is simply he's not a fantastic passer (by PG standards, obviously he's not a bad passer or anything). Part of it is his height...which is probably the reason we see a fair amount of low passes from him on the p'n'r. Hard to handle for bigs.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Yes...this is pretty plain to see. Part of it is simply he's not a fantastic passer (by PG standards, obviously he's not a bad passer or anything). Part of it is his height...which is probably the reason we see a fair amount of low passes from him on the p'n'r. Hard to handle for bigs.
        It's not his height. CP3 and Rondo are comparable in height and they have excellent vision. It's more Lowry's style - ultra aggressive, low center of gravity, head-down, with a score first mentality. He's not the patient, probing type of guard with the head-up on a swivel. Those types, like Jose, are good PnR PGs, and overall distributors. Mike Conley is another small guard who is good at feeding the post, and has a great chemistry with Gasol, obviously.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          It's not his height. CP3 and Rondo are comparable in height and they have excellent vision. It's more Lowry's style - ultra aggressive, low center of gravity, head-down, with a score first mentality. He's not the patient, probing type of guard with the head-up on a swivel. Those types, like Jose, are good PnR PGs, and overall distributors. Mike Conley is another small guard who is good at feeding the post, and has a great chemistry with Gasol, obviously.
          Maybe it's not height, but it's easy to think that. He's got a tendency to give low passes that are tough to handle.

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
            So you flat-out lied to prove a point? Nice

First of all, I wasn't even talking about Negative Reinforcement, I was talking about Negative Punishment. And no, they're not the same thing. Negative Reinforcement is taking something away in order to get a favorable behaviour to be repeated. That's not what Casey does to JV. He does negative punishment; ie. taking something away (minutes) in order to get an unfavourable behaviour (defensive mistakes) to decrease.

I'm not sure which sports psychology degree you have that you can make a statement like "You cannot argue differently".

"Research studies have found that punishment is effective in suppressing or eliminating unwanted behavior. But in order for punishment to be effective it must happen immediately after the behavior, be severe, and occur every time the behavior occurs.

Read more: Punishment - Negative, Unwanted, Psychologists, and Effective - JRank Articles http://psychology.jrank.org/pages/523/Punishment.html#ixzz3KzGopQDy"

Dude you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
            Negative reinforcement and negative punishment are different, you are correct. However with the undefined science that is human psychology, arguing the difference is kind of a douche move. For example read this where is says that "negative reinforcement and punishment should be considered together"

However, negative reinforcement by definition involves removal of the negative condition. For the purpose of arguments sake, the removal of negative condition with respect to sports is impossible, so I think the use of "negative reinforcement" in the context of text (also, the quoted text used negative reinforcement) is allowable in the situation, contextually. If you read my post, you will notice that I said that "criticism" should still be a part of the positive reinforcement, which is basically saying negative punishment should still exist.

Instead of attacking my intelligence and saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, how about you tell me in explicit detail how the benefits of negative "punishment" is the BEST way to develop a confidence-dependent skill?

Some psychologists have even argued that:
            "punishment should not be used in the sport setting as it gives a negative feeling about activity" here

Or to a lesser degree:
            "Punishment has been shown to effectively eliminate undesirable behaviors, but it may create additional problems, too. A major drawback is that punishment may arouse a fear of failure or a desire to avoid defeat rater than approach success. It may also draw an increased attention to undesirable behavior, thereby reinforcing it. Finally, punishment may also create an unpleasant and aversive learning environment" here

In the same article listed above, it is suggest that "1) everyone gets the same punishment. 2) Punish the behaviour, not the person, 7) DO NOT PUNISH ATHLETES FOR MAKING ERRORS WHILE THEY ARE PLAYING, 9) use punishment sparingly"

Do any of those sound like JV's situation?

No

*drops mic*

Comment

• We get it, you guys both took some intro psychology courses in University.

Comment

• Old School, the stuff you quoted is correct for amateur athletics, but this is the NBA, not house league. Kobe coasted on D at times to save his energy for the offensive end when the Lakers were winning championships. Would Jackson treat him the same as he would if Josh Powell was coasting on D? Not a chance. Nor should he.

As for the "punishment" and "benching" of JV in the 4th, these are made up terms used by us. JJ isn't being benched or punished by not being in the starting lineup, it's just a coaching decision. Maybe JV is fine, just Amir and PPat are better at crunch time. Brown can give Noel all the crunch time minutes he wants, as can Snyder with Kanter or SVG with Drummond,, because they're losers and they don't really have anyone better anyway. Zach Lowe doesn't really give a shit whether we win or the opponents do so it's easy to say JV should be forcefed more crunch minutes. And with Amir's ankles it's almost a foregone conclusion JV will get opportunities as the season progresses.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I hail from Jonas Valantownship
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• If we aint going 82-0 and all of our rotation gets 35+ min with 15 touches each, then i mean what the hell is the point. Just tank man.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      I hail from Jonas Valantownship
                      Greetings! I come to you as a representative of the United States of Amirica!
                      OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                        The residents of Valantownship are not happy with our guys playing time so far. If this doesn't change we might have to take swift and vicious actions to ensure this.

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                          Ahhhhhh the USSA!

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Ahhhhhh the USSA!
                            Which shares its vast, but delicate borders with PatrickPatterville
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                              Which shares its vast, but delicate borders with PatrickPatterville
                              Which is right beside LouWill Ville

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                Which is right beside LouWill Ville
                                Ever been to Rosstralia?
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X