Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It does make sense logically speaking, but you have to admit, we're approaching tinfoil hat territory.

The most plausible explanation is that Jonas just hasn't earned Casey's trust in certain situations. Unfortunately, that's not something that can be quantified. Instead, it's coach's gut feel.
    Casey's gut feel = illogical. JV goes beast mode and then gets benched all the time. I'd be fine with it if he was actually playing poorly.

"JV, you didn't take one contested fadeaway 3 with 18 seconds on the shot clock, instead you were down low calling for the ball. I just can't trust you out there."

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Casey's gut feel = illogical. JV goes beast mode and then gets benched all the time. I'd be fine with it if he was actually playing poorly.
      There are a lot of questionable Casey moves that can't be explained by future cap flexibility. He could simply be an idiot

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

Impressive even more considering he has been on a minutes restriction his entire career.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            JV's rim protection is pretty good, at least according to this site. 13th in league, right behind Ibaka and Timmy D.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
            That's a great site with some really interesting and well written explanations.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Impressive even more considering he has been on a minutes restriction his entire career.
              I wonder how many minutes each of those guys played in their first 200 games. I recall McGrady on an extremely tight leash his first year. I think Carter started right from the beginning.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                I wonder how many minutes each of those guys played in their first 200 games. I recall McGrady on an extremely tight leash his first year. I think Carter started right from the beginning.
                Carter 35.2 38.1 39.7
                Bosh 33.5 37.2 39.3
                McGrady 18.4 22.6 31.2
                JV 23.9 28.2 26.4

Good point on McGrady.

JV is only one to see minute reduction in year 3.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Carter 35.2 38.1 39.7
                  Bosh 33.5 37.2 39.3
                  McGrady 18.4 22.6 31.2
                  JV 23.9 28.2 26.4

Good point on McGrady.

JV is only one to see minute reduction in year 3.
                  How JV isn't averaging at least 30-32 MPG is beyond me.

It would be interesting to see a similar comparison of other key stats - ie: usage, PER, true shooting %, etc...

Comment

• Fun fact: Bargnani took 228 games to reach 1000 rebounds.

Comment

• CRF, I think it was you who brought up than play where Jonas ends up running toward a shooter that's been left open in the corner.

Kind of puzzles me. Why wouldn't he just find someone to box out and let the guy shoot? Can't remember seeing him actually block one, and we end up with our best (and only good) rebounder in the corner. Am I wrong?
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• You know what would really help JV with the refs?

Getting an All-Star selection.

Let's say a prayer, folks.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          CRF, I think it was you who brought up than play where Jonas ends up running toward a shooter that's been left open in the corner.

Kind of puzzles me. Why wouldn't he just find someone to box out and let the guy shoot? Can't remember seeing him actually block one, and we end up with our best (and only good) rebounder in the corner. Am I wrong?
                          I actually wonder if maybe the staff wants to him to contest the shot. It seems like it to me. Can't really prove it, but it seems like they prioritize trying to contest the shot.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            I actually wonder if maybe the staff wants to him to contest the shot. It seems like it to me. Can't really prove it, but it seems like they prioritize trying to contest the shot.
                            Yeah, I think they do, or else JV wouldn't keep doing it. Still don't see the wisdom in it, unless it's someone like Dragic (52% uncontested last year, 29% contested, 10+ ft), Only a dozen players averages rose 10%, and some guys like Pierce, Westbrook, Dirk, Lebron, Gay actually shot better contested than wide open.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                              You know what would really help JV with the refs?

Getting an All-Star selection.

Let's say a prayer, folks.
                              Nah. No thanks. He'll get that all star selection when he earns it. He didn't earn it this season.

Comment

• He won't be an all-star this year, but I could see it a couple years from now.
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X