Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    anyone have any interesting insights into the development and future of Jonas Valanciunas?
    Watch him against Nene tonight. Looked Ok vs Lopez.

Comment

anyone have any interesting insights into the development and future of jonas valanciunas?
      jv4mvp
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

anyone have any interesting insights into the development and future of Jonas Valanciunas?
        He is 22 and when given minutes is good for a double double.

He has worts that are on exasperated with current offensive scheme.

He is a piece to build around for the next decade.

Comment

• I was at the Nets game over a week ago. Casey benched JV partway through the third quarter, and that was probably a big reason why the Raptors lost to the Nets (Lopez and Plumlee ate up the Raps inside after JV's benching, both shooting and offensive boards).

Why did Casey bench JV? Well, I noticed the following two things:

1. Two plays before he was benched, Miles f'ing Plumlee completely beat JV down the floor, and got a quick pass as he stood open under the basket for an uncontested lay-in (or was it slam?).

2. The play before he was benched, JV was the last person down the floor, and the Raptors were playing 4 vs. 5 on defense for a few seconds - that felt like an eternity - which ended in a quick, open 3-pointer for the Nets.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this in a game.

Casey may just be an old-fashioned disciplinarian. You don't run back fast enough on defense as a rookie? You're benched, even if it hurts the team. And JV might have a basic skill to hammer into his brain if he wants to stay on the floor.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
            Casey may just be an old-fashioned disciplinarian. You don't run back fast enough on defense as a rookie? You're benched, even if it hurts the team. And JV might have a basic skill to hammer into his brain if he wants to stay on the floor.
            Jonas has got to be the slowest player on the team (from baseline to baseline). Even Hubie Brown commented about Jonas saying "you can't teach footspeed".

Comment

I maintain this:
              http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...295#post366295

Guy is developing. More opportunity would be nice (more touches, more MPG, more PnR) but he is developing nicely (regardless of whether you think it's because of or in spite of the coaching).
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Jonas has got to be the slowest player on the team (from baseline to baseline). Even Hubie Brown commented about Jonas saying "you can't teach footspeed".
                Interesting line of speculation. Even the commentators (Usually Jack) frequently say "JV looks gassed."

Lots of comments about his weight gain and how it has slowed him down. You can't do too much about weight and strength during the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see JV shed 10 pounds or so during the off-season while working on his endurance and foot speed (which you absolutely can improve). He doesn't need much improvement. Just a touch more speed would tremendously affect his defensive capabilities.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Interesting line of speculation. Even the commentators (Usually Jack) frequently say "JV looks gassed."

Lots of comments about his weight gain and how it has slowed him down. You can't do too much about weight and strength during the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see JV shed 10 pounds or so during the off-season while working on his endurance and foot speed (which you absolutely can improve). He doesn't need much improvement. Just a touch more speed would tremendously affect his defensive capabilities.
                  I would say that he is not as slow, but his stamina isn't as good. If you observe him, you can clearly see that he is trying to keep up with the intensity of the game and not fall behind, however as KuH pointed out sometimes he gets gassed out. Last game against San Antonio, he was trying to run the floor hard and did well with managing his energy, there are some games though were I agree that he seems more tired, especially in the 3rd. However, as the season goes on, he is improving in that area, you could clearly see him gassed out often during beginning of the season, now it depends on his match up.

As I used to be part of professional sports as well, I can tell from my experience, that some athletes are just more naturally gifted, when it comes to stamina, there is a point when you are limited by the size of your lungs or performance of your heart. I do not see JV improving in that area, especially considering the fact that he is heavy 7 footer. However, I can see him maintaining his current stamina level, which would be enough, with tweaked system, which involves less early clock shots and movement outside of the paint for center.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    I maintain this:
                    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...295#post366295

Guy is developing. More opportunity would be nice (more touches, more MPG, more PnR) but he is developing nicely (regardless of whether you think it's because of or in spite of the coaching).
                    I completely agree, and I liked your post.

I see this guy as more of a Gasol type, Marc though, not Pau because of his style.

It always amazes me how often people will run out the mantra that young guys take a long time to develop, but then don't have the patience to wait for it.

I agree Axel, the guy looks like he's on track. He's the "5 year" guy Bargnani never became.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      ...As I used to be part of professional sports as well, I can tell from my experience, that some athletes are just more naturally gifted, when it comes to stamina, there is a point when you are limited by the size of your lungs or performance of your heart. I do not see JV improving in that area, especially considering the fact that he is heavy 7 footer. However, I can see him maintaining his current stamina level, which would be enough, with tweaked system, which involves less early clock shots and movement outside of the paint for center.
                      No questions about natural gifts. But even a slight improvement would translate into significant improvements for JV. It's a game of inches and tenths of a second. His strength/weight/endurance needs to be tweaked a bit. I believe this can happen. And I believe it would allow him to move up a tier in terms of which group of centers he is comparable to.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        I completely agree, and I liked your post.

I see this guy as more of a Gasol type, Marc though, not Pau because of his style.

It always amazes me how often people will run out the mantra that young guys take a long time to develop, but then don't have the patience to wait for it.

I agree Axel, the guy looks like he's on track. He's the "5 year" guy Bargnani never became.
                        I think he'll ultimately end up as a Horford type player, and that's nothing to scoff at. Stylistically, Marc over Pau for sure, but production/role wise - Al Horford is the most likely.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• maybe, but I think production is a bit of a facade as that will change as his surrounding personnel changes. But what I think will be exciting is how effective he can be once he is a bit wiser on the floor.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            maybe, but I think production is a bit of a facade as that will change as his surrounding personnel changes. But what I think will be exciting is how effective he can be once he is a bit wiser on the floor.
                            Very true (and deep) but all players are, in the end, what they produce. Hopefully the personnel and system will play to his strengths.

Your point resonates strongly with how I view Demar; is he a highly productive player or is he a player who is being forced to produce? (Sorry if they comment ends up hijacking the thread, not my intent, just talking about parallels).

I think in Year 5 of JV, we are going to look back and truly laugh at some of the comments about him. The game is starting to click for him, and once it does completely, look out.

Comment

• I think JV will just end up as Pekovic but with much better defence, more stamina and less injury prone. I just don't think he'll ever have the elite midrange shooting or passing that Marc Gasol and Horford both have.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                                I think JV will just end up as Pekovic but with much better defence, more stamina and less injury prone. I just don't think he'll ever have the elite midrange shooting or passing that Marc Gasol and Horford both have.
                                I believe he can become a very good mid range shooter because

1. He's shown he can't hit it but rarely takes it

2. He's a good free throw shooter, which shows he can consistently hit a 15 footer
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X