X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    I believe he can become a very good mid range shooter because

1. He's shown he can't hit it but rarely takes it

2. He's a good free throw shooter, which shows he can consistently hit a 15 footer
    Yup.

JV is 43.% from 14-19ft. He doesn't take it often, but he has shown he can hit it. Needs to keep working to get it off in less space (and sometimes simply needs to pull the trigger).

Comparison to Al Jefferson (45%), Bosh (46.9%). Just needs time to develop more.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

2. He's a good free throw shooter, which shows he can consistently hit a 15 footer
      I've thought since last year that JV would greatly benefit by developing a consistent 10-14' baseline jumper, similar to Rasho and Luc Longley.

It would be a great offset to his developing post-up game, where he can just slip away from his man and get open for an easy weak-side jumper.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I've thought since last year that JV would greatly benefit by developing a consistent 10-14' baseline jumper, similar to Rasho and Luc Longley.

It would be a great offset to his developing post-up game, where he can just slip away from his man and get open for an easy weak-side jumper.
        That Rasho baseline slip and pop would be deadly for JV. Of course, they'd never pass him the ball.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
          I think JV will just end up as Pekovic but with much better defence, more stamina and less injury prone. I just don't think he'll ever have the elite midrange shooting or passing that Marc Gasol and Horford both have.
          No way...Pekovic is a fucking bear monster. Bulking up that much would be detrimental to JV's game.

One other thing, I've failed to see them utilize JV in pick n roll, you know, arguably one of his strengths.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            Yup.

JV is 43.% from 14-19ft. He doesn't take it often, but he has shown he can hit it. Needs to keep working to get it off in less space (and sometimes simply needs to pull the trigger).

Comparison to Al Jefferson (45%), Bosh (46.9%). Just needs time to develop more.
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

He's had plenty of opportunities to take that shot this season. But that damned pump fake fucks it all up.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              He's had plenty of opportunities to take that shot this season. But that damned pump fake fucks it all up.
              Same as me playing 2k
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Same as me playing 2k
                Have you tried a game genie?

Comment

• JV should develop a solid 15 footer in the next year or so, an that will help his offensive game so much.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Also his release is really slow and he clearly has no confidence in that shot in game situations. You can see him second guessing himself when he has space for that shot, hesitating, thinking about it again, hesitating again, till his man closes out and he just turns it into a pump fake and a running hook shot.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Also his release is really slow and he clearly has no confidence in that shot in game situations. You can see him second guessing himself when he has space for that shot, hesitating, thinking about it again, hesitating again, till his man closes out and he just turns it into a pump fake and a running hook shot.
                      I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence. To me it's always looked like there's a little voice in his head telling him not to settle for jumpers, so he hesitates far too often. I mean it very well could be a lack of confidence, but we've seen him take and make jumpers confidently...

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        ...we've seen him take and make jumpers confidently...
                        IN international play he seemed to take them when they presented themselves. I think Casey has told him not to shoot them. So he reflexively sets up for a shot that he can make and then a little voice inside his head goes "No big fella. Coach says go inside, get rebounds, get dunks." That's where the hesitation comes from. (Just a theory)

Comment

• If Toronto had any other low post scorer JV might be better playing like Marc Gasol than ZBo. If Toronto picked up David Lee, Raptor could expwerimnent with JV out of the low post.

Comment

• To the post from KuH about "being the last one up the court" I have an alternate explanation.

You know how hard it is to sprint 94' constantly without ever seeing the ball on offense? That sucks, like a lot. Job or not. This may be why we generally see him play much better defensively when he is engaged offensively....

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              If Toronto had any other low post scorer JV might be better playing like Marc Gasol than ZBo. If Toronto picked up David Lee, Raptor could expwerimnent with JV out of the low post.
                              Not sure if I'm reading this right: Are you suggesting JV is as talented as Marc Gasol or ZBo offensively? Those guys have been in the league for a long time, and entered the league with a broader repertoire of moves.

Here's an nice article by Zach Lowe on the up and coming big men in the league. No mention of JV (Blasphemy) but it highlights some of the challenges big men are facing these days.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...new-era-skill/

The truth is, it's not just guys like JV that aren't getting low post touches. Traditional low post play is declining across the entire league. Not having illegal defences makes it very easy for a team to pack the paint, or have a second or third defender swipe at the ball and still recover to guard their man. Truth is you can see a lot of similarities between how the Raptors use JV and how Adams, Gobert and Len are used on their respective teams (although they could still be using JV better).

Zach's argument is that there's still a place for big men, but they need to be much more skilled than they were in the past. Hopefully with enough work JV can get there.

Comment

• No, That JV might be able to play at the elbow rather than the post but without another post player, it's hard to tell. If Gasol never had ZBo he would have developed solely as a low post player. JV was scouted as a good passing big before the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X