No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV's post offense is definitely improving, according to my eyes. He used to pump fake and then do a running hook across the lane 90% of the time. He spins in either direction and finishes with either hand a lot more often now, and is getting quicker and more decisive with his decisions. Still a ways to go, of course.

Mostly the defensive scheme is a really bad fit for him, but as has been mentioned 10000000000000000 times here, why does he get the hate for looking like shit when he doesn't have the mobility to cover all the perimeter blow by's given up by the guards? I put a lot of that blame on the coach for continuing to demand a scheme that exposes the defensive weaknesses of both the guards and the bigs. The Raps desperately need Amir to make the defense even come close to working, and we all know how crazy it is to depend on Amir at this point, as much as we love him. The guy's at 70% health for 90% of the season.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      JV's post offense is definitely improving, according to my eyes. He used to pump fake and then do a running hook across the lane 90% of the time. He spins in either direction and finishes with either hand a lot more often now, and is getting quicker and more decisive with his decisions. Still a ways to go, of course.

Mostly the defensive scheme is a really bad fit for him, but as has been mentioned 10000000000000000 times here, why does he get the hate for looking like shit when he doesn't have the mobility to cover all the perimeter blow by's given up by the guards? I put a lot of that blame on the coach for continuing to demand a scheme that exposes the defensive weaknesses of both the guards and the bigs. The Raps desperately need Amir to make the defense even come close to working, and we all know how crazy it is to depend on Amir at this point, as much as we love him. The guy's at 70% health for 90% of the season.
      He has the mobility to cover the blow by's. The problem is that like almost all other Cs he is put into a high foul % situation trying to stop a guard on the move, and he can't recover to stop the dish to his man. We almost never hit the rotation onto the open big man cause we're too busy screaming around the perimeter.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
        He has the mobility to cover the blow by's. The problem is that like almost all other Cs he is put into a high foul % situation trying to stop a guard on the move, and he can't recover to stop the dish to his man. We almost never hit the rotation onto the open big man cause we're too busy screaming around the perimeter.
        That is the critical part.

He is often hung out to dry because no one helps the helper.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

An understated problem this year has been Amir's appalling help defence. He often plays like he's stoned.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Bring out the scramble unit!!!

Yeah, this is what I meant. Jonas gets criticized for not successfully defending a 2 on 1 in the paint every time a guard gets burned on the perimeter. But re: the mobility - not every coach would ask the C to come out as far/hard as Jonas is asked to come out, then also expect him to be able to recover to the rim and challenge the shot. Isn't that basically what Casey asks Jonas to do? I've never seen him comment on Amir or PP failing to rotate to Jonas' man. Looks like they expect Jonas to cover everything after a perimeter breakdown.
            Last edited by S.R.; Wed Mar 18, 2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Bring out the scramble unit!!!

Yeah, this is what I meant. Jonas gets criticized for not successfully defending a 2 on 1 in the paint every time a guard gets burned on the perimeter. But re: the mobility - not every coach would ask the C to come out as far/hard as Jonas is asked to come out, then also expect him to be able to recover to the rim and challenge the shot. Isn't that basically what Casey asks Jonas to do? I've never seen him comment on Amir or PP failing to rotate to Jonas' man. Looks like they expect Jonas to cover everything after a perimeter breakdown.
              Not quite, he has to get back and challenge the shot without fouling. Cause you know if he fouls he's going to the bench.

Comment

• Jv would be killing it if he played for a team like Indiana. Hibberts bum ass don't get exposed in their system and he's slow as a snail. He also sucks offensively and gets more touches

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                  mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Lately I've seen JV give an exasperated look after giving up an easy basket while faced with the 2-on-1, giving a look and wave of the hand that you can tell is born from the 'I'm screwed no matter which guy I try to cover' type of frustration. I totally agree that JV gets way too much responsibility placed on his shoulders, when the perimeter defenders and secondary rotation player (to cover his man when he rotates) are not getting nearly enough blame.

Plus, his man defense has been fantastic and much improved from last season. I've seen others post advanced stats about the shooting/scoring he surrenders being well above average. He also seems to be on quite a streak of games with a block (or even multiple blocks), even while facing some pretty quality players (I loved the blocks on Duncan and Splitter within the first 2 minutes of the SA game).

Comment

• I had weird dream we are trading JV to Phil Jax for their 3rd overall pick and selecting Jahlil Okafor with it. should I Pump it or Dump it?

P.S it was a day dream.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                      I had weird dream we are trading JV to Phil Jax for their 3rd overall pick and selecting Jahlil Okafor with it. should I Pump it or Dump it?
                      There's no benefit - 1 quality big for 1 quality big. JV is an emerging 22 year old 2-way stud, while Okafor is a hot prospect. Even if Okafor winds up being as good or slightly better, what's the point?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        There's no benefit - 1 quality big for 1 quality big. JV is an emerging 22 year old 2-way stud, while Okafor is a hot prospect. Even if Okafor winds up being as good or slightly better, what's the point?
                        Rookie scale contract for another 4 years. Higher defensive potential. Higher ceiling. Don't have to lock up the cap by paying JV next year.

But true, it seems like it's a quality big for a quality prospect deal.

Comment

• Would rather have Towns then Okafor.
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            Lately I've seen JV give an exasperated look after giving up an easy basket while faced with the 2-on-1, giving a look and wave of the hand that you can tell is born from the 'I'm screwed no matter which guy I try to cover' type of frustration. I totally agree that JV gets way too much responsibility placed on his shoulders, when the perimeter defenders and secondary rotation player (to cover his man when he rotates) are not getting nearly enough blame.

Plus, his man defense has been fantastic and much improved from last season. I've seen others post advanced stats about the shooting/scoring he surrenders being well above average. He also seems to be on quite a streak of games with a block (or even multiple blocks), even while facing some pretty quality players (I loved the blocks on Duncan and Splitter within the first 2 minutes of the SA game).
                            Even when he has someone step in and get his guy you can see him commit to the cutting guard, and like you said his numbers are actually quite impressive when it comes to that. The only matchup that's coming to mind when he got killed in 1v1 was against kanter recently.

I believe his defensive abilities could anchor a top 10 defense in the right system, can't see him as a DPOY or anything quite yet but he could definitely anchor a top defense

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                              Rookie scale contract for another 4 years. Higher defensive potential. Higher ceiling. Don't have to lock up the cap by paying JV next year.

But true, it seems like it's a quality big for a quality prospect deal.
                              I haven't heard/seen much positive in terms of his defensive potential or even his ceiling. Lots of concern over his D. As for his ceiling, there seems to be some thought that he's already close to it, which might be a concern.

I'm not saying he'll be better or worse than JV, but in the area of D especially, there's no obvious reason to think his potential is higher.

Comment

• So Jonas puts up 15 & 15 on 7/9 shooting in 24 minutes when he's sick. Seriously, no wonder this guy's minutes are down from last year and he rarely plays in the 4th quarter. What a pain in the ass - he completely disrupts the scramble unit's ability to shoot very low percentages and not rebound the basketball. /sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                                X