X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Ooooh yer good!

Next question!

Who is third on the team in both OffRtg and DefRtg?
    Dwane Casey!

Comment

• mindlessness wrote: View Post
      dwane casey!
      wrong!

Comment

• For the record, I think Jonas easily puts up 18/11 if you give him the opportunity.

And if you can get a coach that runs a defensive system that fits Jonas perfectly, he's going to be a fantastic two-way centre.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Don't know until you try, but it's hard to compare the situation to Bosh's time here. Pretty different players playing different positions, to start with. Also, Bosh's teams were mostly poorly built around him as the centrepiece. There's no telling if that's how they'd choose to build if they got Jonas more involved. I don't think they'd make him the centrepiece in the sense of having disproportionately high usage.
          Same with this team though. It's not built around JV and to do,so would mean huge roster changes. But more importantly it would slow down the pace of the game too much I think. Like nobody builds around a traditional centre anymore because pace and number of possessions are so important in the game these days.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Same with this team though. It's not built around JV and to do,so would mean huge roster changes. But more importantly it would slow down the pace of the game too much I think. Like nobody builds around a traditional centre anymore because pace and number of possessions are so important in the game these days.
            Casey has had the most success when they've slowed down and grinded it out.

He keeps talking about playing faster but it flies in the face of everything he is, supposedly, about.....or he was once about.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I think teams don't build around a traditional center when they can't get one. Instead of trotting out a 7 foot stiff at C and a 6'10" stiff at PF they've realized they're better off with a mobile paint defender and 4 shooters. Anyone who manages to get their hands on an Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Marc Gasol, etc. is damn happy to make use of him. Look at how many teams have been chasing Dwight the past few years.

I think the demise of the NBA big man is a bit overstated.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I think teams don't build around a traditional center when they can't get one. Instead of trotting out a 7 foot stiff at C and a 6'10" stiff at PF they've realized they're better off with a mobile paint defender and 4 shooters. Anyone who manages to get their hands on an Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Marc Gasol, etc. is damn happy to make use of him. Look at how many teams have been chasing Dwight the past few years.

Yup look at how many promising Bigs there are

Vucevic
                Nurkic
                JV
                Drummond
                Gobert
                Kanter
                Whiteside
                Monroe
                Favors
                Davis
                Cousins

And I've probably still missed some more

Also this year's draft is very PF and C heavy
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Good that we have one that might be pretty damn good in a couple years.

Comment

That's precisely what frustrated me most about last night's game against Minnesota (yes JV was sick, but he still played 26 minutes). With Minny decimated by injuries in the middle and JV in full beast mode the past few games, any good coach would have stepped on the opposition's throat by pounding it inside, dominating the paint, shooting a high %, getting rebounds and causing them to get into foul trouble. Even with such a glorious opportunity staring at him, DC still refused to go away from his guard-centric chuck-fest offense - DeRozan, Lou and Vasquez shot a combined 10/36!

It's all about maximizing the talent on the roster, and exploiting the mismatches and opportunities, but adapting is one of DC's fundamental flaws.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      30/15 huh. That's Shaq like numbers. And how many players this season are averaging 20/10? Cousins? who else?

So according to most of you here, JV has the potential to be an ELITE center, a FRANCHISE center. I think you all need to calm down lol. He had a great game last night, relax and enjoy it. Stop overreacting.

I'll be happy if he can average 15/10 lol. And McRealistic pretty much pointed out everything that i want to see from JV the rest of the way/following years.

1) Ability to pass from the double team

2) Bring down the number of turnovers

3) Be a TRUE defensive anchor and force inside in the defensive game

AND

POST UP GAME NEEDS TO BE BETTER.
                      Pretty sure he's one of the best league at points per possession while posting up
                      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                        Pretty sure he's one of the best league at points per possession while posting up
                        So...............does that mean he's a great post up player? what do you think?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

So...............does that mean he's a great post up player? what do you think?
                          He certainly has a nice touch when he gets good position. Not too many "moves" that he uses, but the few ones that he utilizes are effective. The turnovers are an issue though, especially when guards double him to swipe the ball away.

He has shown the ability to be a good (not spectacular) passer out of the post if double teamed, he just needs to get used to that kind of thing happening. It wouldn't hurt the team too much to give him the ball more.

Whether he's an All Star or not doesn't matter to me right now. He needs to be more involved in the offense.
                          OG is our king

Comment

Yup. It has more to do with the lack of skilled big men. I do think in general that teams are moving toward only having one interior player, but even that is because it's hard to find both a PF and C who can do damage down low without killing spacing, so it's become much more valuable to make sure you can space the floor with shooters.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with some of the young bigs in/coming in to the league, as the C position is not only getting deep again, but there could be some pretty damn skilled players in the mix. Maybe the most there's been in about 15-20 years.

And in regards to pace, since that was brought up, it doesn't matter if having a true interior threat slows the game down. If you can control the pace/style of the game, that's all that matters. Number of possessions are relative to your opponent. It doesn't matter if you average a slower pace and less shots, because that also slows the game down for your opponent. Again, it's all about imposing your will on the game as a team, and not letting the other team dictate the flow.

Comment

So according to most of you here, JV has the potential to be an ELITE center, a FRANCHISE center.
                              This is exactly what you expect from a 5th overall pick.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                                This is exactly what you expect from a 5th overall pick.
                                I think he can be a perennial All-Star for sure. Whether or not he's a elite centre depends on what your definition of elite is. Like, I think there are only two (2) centres off the top of my head that I personally feel are elite. Cousins and M. Gasol.

Comment

Working...
                                X