X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooch wrote: View Post
    JV was told to put on size.

Now he is being told to get in shape.

You cannot get bigger and leaner at the same time.

You cannot grow both muscles and athletic ability.

one or the other.
    That is absolutely wrong.

Comment

• If I'm the Raps FO I don't fuck around and offer JV the max.

The only better bigs on the market than him next year are Drummond (who isn't really better but will be perceived that way by most team) and Horford (and honestly by next year he may have closed that gap).

He will likely get a max contract from someone especially considering teams tend to overpay RFAs to prevent the home team from matching. If you can sign him to the Kanter deal right now you take that and run. Although I could see JV being reluctant to sign long-term with us considering how Casey has been shafting him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        100% agreed. I think this was probably always the plan - get big enough to play C, then learn how to play WITH that bulk so you can play C well.
        Yeah I think if he does the Marc Gasol now and slims down while maintaining strength and increasing quickness he could be very dangerous next season.

I've always said this but I do think that JV could be our 1A guy if he maximizes all of his potential.

Comment

• I think JV should get 4 years 70 million extension. I would prefer 15 million per year, but JV is probably valued roughly the same as Kanter. Any less would be an insult to him. I wouldn't want to give any more than that. I would give that to JV right away and get it down.

I'd say give Ross the contract now. How about $5-7 million per year extension for 3-4 years? This way we sign him for cheap while his value is low. If he gets better, it's a win win. If he doesn't get better, at least he's not being over paid for being an average player. At this point though, I don't feel comfortable giving him more than $7 mill a year.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            If I'm the Raps FO I don't fuck around and offer JV the max.

The only better bigs on the market than him next year are Drummond (who isn't really better but will be perceived that way by most team) and Horford (and honestly by next year he may have closed that gap).

He will likely get a max contract from someone especially considering teams tend to overpay RFAs to prevent the home team from matching. If you can sign him to the Kanter deal right now you take that and run. Although I could see JV being reluctant to sign long-term with us considering how Casey has been shafting him.
            JV is not a max player.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              JV is not a max player.
              But he's gonna get one regardless.
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

JV is not a max player.
                Let's assume this is correct.

That's EXACTLY why you would give him the max right now. The max right now for JV is worth like 17M per year. His future max would be worth close to 25M per year and as an RFA it's very likely you end up having to pay him that or something close.

You lock him up now to a deal that when the new cap kicks in, is basically just solid starter money.

Comment

Let's assume this is correct.

That's EXACTLY why you would give him the max right now. The max right now for JV is worth like 17M per year. His future max would be worth close to 25M per year and as an RFA it's very likely you end up having to pay him that or something close.

You lock him up now to a deal that when the new cap kicks in, is basically just solid starter money.
                  Guys, this is not true. Did you see the extension Davis signed? It is based on next year's cap numbers, as are all extensions that will be signed this summer. JV's max is not the same as Kanter's. Yes, if you can get him signed to Kanter's deal you do it. But that's not his max extension. His max extension is the same salary as his max contract would be next summer.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Guys, this is not true. Did you see the extension Davis signed? It is based on next year's cap numbers, as are all extensions that will be signed this summer. JV's max is not the same as Kanter's. Yes, if you can get him signed to Kanter's deal you do it. But that's not his max extension. His max extension is the same salary as his max contract would be next summer.
                    Oh right didn't think about that, I forgot that extensions are based on the salary cap in the year where they begin.

Might still be worth it to see if we can get him for a good price then still. Too bad JV didn't come over right away, then we wouldn't have this problem cause he would've been a FA this year instead.

Comment

Oh right didn't think about that, I forgot that extensions are based on the salary cap in the year where they begin.

Might still be worth it to see if we can get him for a good price then still. Too bad JV didn't come over right away, then we wouldn't have this problem cause he would've been a FA this year instead.
                      Meh. If he came over right away he doesn't drop to 5 - rumour was teams 2-4 in that draft had some interest but were scared off by his buyout.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Meh. If he came over right away he doesn't drop to 5 - rumour was teams 2-4 in that draft had some interest but were scared off by his buyout.
                        Yup

Cleveland would have taken him if he came over right away.
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

JV is not a max player.
                          Kanter got 4 years 70 million, so I'm pretty sure JV is worth just about the same...

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                            Kanter got 4 years 70 million, so I'm pretty sure JV is worth just about the same...
                            Yeah we're getting a little tripped up in terminology here... I think people are saying JV is worth this year's max in terms of $, not an actual max based on next year's cap.

Kanter money is fine. Though I'm fairly certain that would push DeMar into asking for the full max next summer.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              There was a nice article on Justise Winslow talking about getting stronger while maintaining flexibility & quickness, without gaining un-productive bulk. JV definitely looks slower & stiffer compared to when he entered the league and has lost something for sure. I fear that Bruno could be heading down the same path and he wasn't really that quick to begin with.

http://www.si.com/edge/2015/06/23/nb...nslow-training
                              I forget where exactly i read this but i remember reading that they werent trying to put on a lot more weight on Bruno but were focusing on him gaining strength. This makes the most sense to me. He definitely needs strength but i dont think he needs to add a lot more weight.

Comment

• The Interview where he's talking about improving his mobility and speed was great, but I'm still sceptical because of his movement on offense. He needs to stop his offensive fouls and stupid fouls on defense as well. Also he needs to show more on offense than just 2 or 3 moves and a ok mid range jumper.

Will I keep him - clearly yes, but two thinks need to be fixed for that: his fouls and his production on the glass. Also the price must be right, otherwise I would let him play this year and then show what he can do right now.

What he needs to add to his game are passes out of the post and out of double teams. Maybe he can work with arvydas on this.

Whizzy

Comment

Working...
                                X