Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    So Casey purposely downgraded his system?
    I'm still of the opinion that this team goes as Lowry does. As has been noted, the defence was actually pretty good at the beginning of the season - which is when Lowry was playing his best. If he'd sustained that all year, I don't think the d would have suffered nearly as badly as it did.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      I'm still of the opinion that this team goes as Lowry does. As has been noted, the defence was actually pretty good at the beginning of the season - which is when Lowry was playing his best. If he'd sustained that all year, I don't think the d would have suffered nearly as badly as it did.
      Beginning of the season teams were routinely shooting over 50% from the field. This is also the time when lots of team aren't shooting well yet.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Purposely? Probably not. Downgraded? Certainly.
        So he accidentally downgraded his system? Unless he is truly incompetent and didn't notice the downgrade, not reverting to the prior system is purposely choosing the inferior version. It's far more likely, if not obvious, that he went with inferior defensive players and made some alterations as best he could. It's still largely indefensible, just not malicious or reeking of gross incompetence. Occam's razor.

Comment

• A defensive coach would never play Lou + GV in the backcourt or Lowry + Lou + GV+ Ross or KL+ Lou + GV + Ross + 2Pats. Those are D'Antoni lineups

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            A defensive coach would never play Lou + GV in the backcourt or Lowry + Lou + GV+ Ross or KL+ Lou + GV + Ross + 2Pats. Those are D'Antoni lineups
            Strangely illustrating Casey's flexibility as a coach?

Comment

So he accidentally downgraded his system? Unless he is truly incompetent and didn't notice the downgrade, not reverting to the prior system is purposely choosing the inferior version. It's far more likely, if not obvious, that he went with inferior defensive players and made some alterations as best he could. It's still largely indefensible, just not malicious or reeking of gross incompetence. Occam's razor.
              Vast majority of the inferior defensive players he went with were here the previous year too.

Why would anyone ever suggest it was malicious?

Incompetence doesn't seem like a stretch. This is the guy who wouldn't foul down 1 with a 2 second shot clock-game clock differential.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Unless he is truly incompetent

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Unless he is truly incompetent.
                  Hey, who remembers that time when the entire season came down to a single inbounds play and the coach drew it up for the wrong side of the floor! Naw, that could happen to anyone. I mean we see it all the time in the playoffs, right? Right?
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Sikma was a pretty good post player back in the day. Made the all-star game 7 times.. good coach for JV.
                    Yep, good post moves. Superb coach for JV. Good get.

Comment

• To me Casey comes across as a similar type of coach to Marc Jackson. Not great with Xs and Os but a good motivator, well liked by players with a hard-nosed attitude.

If he can decide to not be like Marc next year and use his assistants effectively I think he can be a very successful head coach. This is something Doc Rivers excelled at in Boston (and also Steve Kerr with Golden State last year) and not only did it bolster his reputation, it also resulted in more success for the team.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                        To me Casey comes across as a similar type of coach to Marc Jackson. Not great with Xs and Os but a good motivator, well liked by players with a hard-nosed attitude.

If he can decide to not be like Marc next year and use his assistants effectively I think he can be a very successful head coach. This is something Doc Rivers excelled at in Boston (and also Steve Kerr with Golden State last year) and not only did it bolster his reputation, it also resulted in more success for the team.
                        Those type of coaches are increasingly become relics.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          To me Casey comes across as a similar type of coach to Marc Jackson. Not great with Xs and Os but a good motivator, well liked by players with a hard-nosed attitude.

This is basically my hope for this year. Nurse getting his Horns offence back. Greer installing a Thibodeau defence. But sadly it is hope more than expectation.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            This is basically my hope for this year. Nurse getting his Horns offence back. Greer installing a Thibodeau defence. But sadly it is hope more than expectation.
                            I would say that Casey and the coaching staff have better tools to work with this year. Even the worst coach in the NBA has to have brains and experience. The Raps had their heads handed to them on a platter in the playoffs. I refuse to believe that Casey has not gone over the replays of the games for hours and hours, and gotten a little introspective. That, plus the moves MU has made (assistant coaches with particular skill sets and pedigrees, plus acquisition of defensive minded, long, mobile players) should be an indicator that the play of the team, as a whole, will be different.

Comment

• The fact that Casey is still coach means MU sees something in him that almost all of us ( including me) do not . He's had plenty of time and opportunity to replace Casey, the last play gaffe that may well have cost us a game 7 win over Brooklyn the most glaring example.

I actually have cautious optimism for this season.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                The fact that Casey is still coach means MU sees something in him that almost all of us ( including me) do not . He's had plenty of time and opportunity to replace Casey, the last play gaffe that may well have cost us a game 7 win over Brooklyn the most glaring example.

I actually have cautious optimism for this season.
                                Circumstance, though, matters. If this team could legitimately challenge for the title, I don't think he'd be the coach.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X