• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

a little thing called

pick n roll

which he is quite good at
    Oh, and honestly, I havent seen a stat for this, but I think you see the traditional Center - pick and roll with the center finishing much less than people think. And JV doesnt pop and finish from 15 feet.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
      I have never understood why you guys feel like you need to be so insulting to me.

funny thing, I'm almost always right. Is that why you get so angry???

Here read this....

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/03/23...d-the-raptors/
      Wow no wonder he doesn't close out games.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Wow no wonder he doesn't close out games.
        His stats are either elite or extremely poor. Good arguments for both sides. Worst net rating on the team. Most WS on the team.

He looks robotic and at times awkward on the floor. Even so, it would be nice to reduce our starting backcourt'a shots per game by 2 each (both shoot 40%) and give JV those 4 shots.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
          man it's fucking superjudge, don't even bother
          Honestly, if I had seen your post first, I wouldn't have bothered.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
            His stats are either elite or extremely poor. Good arguments for both sides. Worst net rating on the team. Most WS on the team.

He looks robotic and at times awkward on the floor. Even so, it would be nice to reduce our starting backcourt'a shots per game by 2 each (both shoot 40%) and give JV those 4 shots.
            And he's also just recently turned 23. He's also been poorly developed by this head coach. He needs minutes, he needs touches, he needs to make mistakes and learn from them. He needs to learn how to pass out of the post, and that requires being included in the offense. He needs to play in regular season fourth quarters. And God help us if we don't do it. Because why on earth would he want to commit his future to us otherwise.

Comment

• sideliner.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                And he's also just recently turned 23. He's also been poorly developed by this head coach. He needs minutes, he needs touches, he needs to make mistakes and learn from them. He needs to learn how to pass out of the post, and that requires being included in the offense. He needs to play in regular season fourth quarters. And God help us if we don't do it. Because why on earth would he want to commit his future to us otherwise.
                hahahaha ok bud.

I found this piece of remedial writing for you because honestly, I hate typing...and typing for guys like you even more....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...p-young-talent

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  Oh, and honestly, I havent seen a stat for this, but I think you see the traditional Center - pick and roll with the center finishing much less than people think. And JV doesnt pop and finish from 15 feet.
                  The top PnR teams use about 8.5% of their possessions on PnR roll man action. The Raptors are near the bottom of the league at 5.5%. Over the course of a game that's about 3-4 extra roller finishes.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post

In total, the Raps hold a top five offense (107.8 points per 100 possessions) and a bottom 10 defense (104.6). When Jonas plays, though, the offense falls from fourth*to 11th*(104.5) while the defense becomes worse than every team besides the Minnesota Timberwolves, L.A. Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Orlando Magic and New York Knicks (105.6). It’s a significant swing that puts a mid-to-high Eastern Conference playoff seed in the company of lottery teams.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• raptor dont use him at all. everything is skewed because of that. JV being a negative offensively while being a top FG% player and a bottom defense dropping even further isnt significant. if he was missing shot and turning the ball over or if guys were dunking on his head because he couldnt protect the rim or grab rebounds like Bargs it would be a different matter.

Comment

In total, the Raps hold a top five offense (107.8 points per 100 possessions) and a bottom 10 defense (104.6). When Jonas plays, though, the offense falls from fourth*to 11th*(104.5) while the defense becomes worse than every team besides the Minnesota Timberwolves, L.A. Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Orlando Magic and New York Knicks (105.6). It’s a significant swing that puts a mid-to-high Eastern Conference playoff seed in the company of lottery teams.
                        Please stop with the raw on-off numbers, my eyes hurt.

Tyler Hansbrough must be an offensive powerhouse. Team gets 5.5 points worse when he sits, and when he plays, they hold a 112 ORTG. And never mind the amazing rim protection he provides - a defensive monster, team is 4.1 points worse without him out there. That's a total swing of 9.6 points better with Tyler Hansbrough than without him.

This has been a demonstration of the uselessness of raw on-off stats for individual players. Please do not take from this any increased appreciation for Hansbrough.

Seriously, context. Jonas played almost exclusively against starters. Hansbrough was the opposite - he played only against opposing benches. Other starters had various amounts of time spent with the bench, and you can see the proportion of their time spent there in their scaling on-off court numbers. Some small portion of those splits are due to the player's play - the vast majority though are due simply to our bench being very deep and our starters lacking that superstar many teams have - meaning our starters performed poorly and our bench more than made up for it (for most of the season).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Please stop with the raw on-off numbers, my eyes hurt.

Tyler Hansbrough must be an offensive powerhouse. Team gets 5.5 points worse when he sits, and when he plays, they hold a 112 ORTG. And never mind the amazing rim protection he provides - a defensive monster, team is 4.1 points worse without him out there. That's a total swing of 9.6 points better with Tyler Hansbrough than without him.

This has been a demonstration of the uselessness of raw on-off stats for individual players. Please do not take from this any increased appreciation for Hansbrough.

Seriously, context. Jonas played almost exclusively against starters. Hansbrough was the opposite - he played only against opposing benches. Other starters had various amounts of time spent with the bench, and you can see the proportion of their time spent there in their scaling on-off court numbers. Some small portion of those splits are due to the player's play - the vast majority though are due simply to our bench being very deep and our starters lacking that superstar many teams have - meaning our starters performed poorly and our bench more than made up for it (for most of the season).
                          Of their 12 lineups with at least 50 minutes played together, Valanciunas is included in all five*of the negative combinations, and the worst positive one. In contrast, he is only in two of the top six lineups. The Raptors are getting rocked with Valanciunas at center,*
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Of their 12 lineups with at least 50 minutes played together, Valanciunas is included in all five*of the negative combinations, and the worst positive one. In contrast, he is only in two of the top six lineups. The Raptors are getting rocked with Valanciunas at center,*
                            Yes, for all the same reasons I posted above.

Adjusted versions of plus-minus have him as a slight negative overall. On par with DeRozan.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Yes, for all the same reasons I posted above.

Adjusted versions of plus-minus have him as a slight negative overall. On par with DeRozan.
                              Even so, Valanciunas’s biggest issue is clearly on the defensive end. The Raptors have been a bad defensive team this year, and terrible with Jonas on the floor. When he sits, they are perfectly average (103.5 net rating).*If we look at ESPN’s RPM, Valancunias ranks 44th*among all centers at defense, below such household names as Henry Sims, Cole Aldrich and Alexis Ajinca.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'm really glad JV just turned 23 - The age of a graduating college senior.

He gets written about by posters on here, who really don't know what they are taking about, like he is 27 / 28.

Comment

Working...
                                X