Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
    No, I don't think so. I do think that he is slightly quicker though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alright. But it's not his offense that I'm worried about anyway. I think he's a good enough offensive player for a big man right now. It's the defense.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Thanks for this. Context is so damn important. JV getting benched because the other team put in 5 3-point shooters makes sense and shouldn't be an indictment on JV's defense.
      But why when Casey takes him out when teams go small in the NBA you guys don't think the same way?
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Everything Valanciunas

BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
        Indeed, they took JV out of the game. JV fouled out Fesenko. Ukrain coach took a risk and put 5 3-point shoooters on the floor and it payed off. Lithuanian caoch had to adjust and took JV out. Ukraine still made a run and missed couple of open 3 in the last minute. Lituanian coach got lucky again, after he decided not to call a time-out when Lithuania had their last possession of the game. Ukrain had another 4 seconds for a win. But Lithuania pulled it out eventually.
        There were several defensive mistakes. First, he couldn't handle Fesenko before this dude fouled out. Second, Jonas allowed an offensive rebound and a put back against some 6.3-6.4 late in the game. Then he left another dude wide open who scored from the 3pt line. And once again, he got lost on PnR defense like 3-4 times.

Last edited by Henry_Chinaski; Sat Sep 5, 2015, 04:47 PM.
        MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Jonas deserved benching. I watched 4th quarter.

Comment

• Everything Valanciunas

Primer wrote: View Post
            Thanks for this. Context is so damn important. JV getting benched because the other team put in 5 3-point shooters makes sense and shouldn't be an indictment on JV's defense.
            No no no. The dude that scored from three that Jonas supposedly had to guard is Zaytsev. He's 6.11. His natural position is PF, but can play at C as well. Here's some context for you.

MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Well that sucks
              OG is our king

Comment

No no no. The dude that scored from three that Jonas supposedly had to guard is Zaytsev. He's 6.11. His natural position is PF, but can play at C as well. Here's some context for you.

I wouldnt be too down on JV for not getting out to defend Dirk at the 3pt line either.

In fact, pretty sure that Dwight, Vuc, Deandre, Drummond, etc have a pretty damn hard time guarding out to the 3pt line.

That why bigmen who can post up and still move all the way out to the 3pt line and be a threat are hot comoddities.

That is why Bargnani was selected number 1, to try and be that guy.

Comment

• Hmm, reading the comments from people who watched the game isn't all that encouraging. The 19 and 11 suggests a pretty good offensive game, which has never been the issue with Jonas. Hopefully, he bounces back in game 2 defensively.

Comment

• Shaq was never all that useful defensively late in games

However he got the ball on the offense and nobody could stop him so it didnt matter. Teams need to start leaning on JV as a scorer because he is clearly efficient at it instead of trying to turn him into a 7' that will be able to guard the 3pter.

Cant wait till he has a coach that creates a trend instead of followd the trend (which he clearly isnt suited for)

Also, if they made a run while he was off the floor anyways...why not have him in and to score on those three point shooters?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Shaq was never all that useful defensively late in games

However he got the ball on the offense and nobody could stop him so it didnt matter. Teams need to start leaning on JV as a scorer because he is clearly efficient at it instead of trying to turn him into a 7' that will be able to guard the 3pter.

Cant wait till he has a coach that creates a trend instead of followd the trend (which he clearly isnt suited for)

Also, if they made a run while he was off the floor anyways...why not have him in and to score on those three point shooters?
                      But if he's hitting two pointers while they're hitting 3's because he's' leaving them wide open it defeats the purpose in my eyes. But I do agree that we should use him more offensively for sure to punish the other team.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Also JV is no where near the dominant offensive player Shaq was. Also when Shaq was in his prime I don't think there was as much small ball going on and as much 3 point shooting big men

Comment

• ouch
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Everything Valanciunas

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Once again. It wasn't five 3pt shooters that are guards or wings. The guy that hit the three was 6. 11 ft PF/C. You could have had Jonas on the floor (his opponent had 4 fouls and 5th foul is the last in Europe) and score points with JV, but if he would've continued to struggle late in the game on D, you could end up losing. It's a question of strategy. I would've kept JV on the floor and forced the game with him in the paint. Force that other guy to foul out or allow easy points. But just as Casey, Lithuania NT head coach is a D minded guy. On the other hand he builds his offense around Jonas.

Last edited by Henry_Chinaski; Sat Sep 5, 2015, 05:41 PM.
                            MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Once again. It wasn't five 3pt shooters that are guards or wings. The guy that hit the three was 6. 11 ft PF/C. You could have had Jonas on the floor (his opponent had 4 fouls and 5th foul is the last in Europe) and score points with JV, but if he would've continued to struggle late in the game on D, you could end up losing. It's a question of strategy. I would've kept JV on the floor and forced the game with him in the paint. Force that other guy to foul out or allow easy points. But just as Casey, Lithuania NT head coach is a D minded guy. On the other hand he builds his offense around Jonas.

Didn't watch that game but team don't need 5 perimeter defender to defend 5 shooters. 4 guys should be able to rotate to cover 5 spots adequately. Teams should be able to hold a lead with a high fg% high ft% big against teams going for broke shooting threes with 5 shooters. It's a question of time and %

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                But why when Casey takes him out when teams go small in the NBA you guys don't think the same way?
                                +1
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X