Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    When it is not Casey's fault, it is his teammates's fault or the lack of experience.

Apologists unite?

We are talking about a highly efficient, average-to-low turnover, 23 year old C who is being criticized for not creating more assists in his 4.5 post ups and 17 front court touches per game?

Right?

Right?

This is what the criticism is?

Good grief.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
      I'm sorry but you'll have to clarify this for me... You think that Hansbrough going from assisting on 4 out of every 100 of his teammates baskets while he's on the floor to 2 out of every 100 is meaningful? Never mind the fact that Hayes surpassed his career AST % last year with the Raptors and it completely debunks the entire thing.

This
      Hayes played 255 minutes and only played in 29 games. His sample size is way too small to glean anything from it. In 2013 Aaron Gray had a 23.1 AST%, I guess he's the best passing big man in the league....

Vasquez with New Orleans: 44.9 AST%
      Vasquez with Toronto: 23.9 AST%

Rudy Gay with Toronto: 15.2 AST%
      Rudy Gay with Sacramento: 19.0 AST%

James Johnson with Memphis: 18.2 AST%
      James Johnson with Toronto: 11.4 AST%

Lou Williams with Atlanta: 22.9 AST%
      Lou Williams with Toronto: 13.6 AST%
      Lou Williams career: 21.3 AST%

There is a disturbing trend of players coming to Toronto and their AST% dropping significantly. Systems matter, a lot. We were all about iso, no passing, no turnovers. Hard to judge JV's passing when he's on one of the least assisted teams in the league.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        Hayes played 255 minutes and only played in 29 games. His sample size is way too small to glean anything from it. In 2013 Aaron Gray had a 23.1 AST%, I guess he's the best passing big man in the league....

There is a disturbing trend of players coming to Toronto and their AST% dropping significantly. Systems matter, a lot. We were all about iso, no passing, no turnovers. Hard to judge JV's passing when he's on one of the least assisted teams in the league.
        That Vasquez one is hard to look at.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          That Vasquez one is hard to look at.
          It dropped 20 fucking % lmao
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
            It dropped 20 fucking % lmao
            There's nothing wrong with the system it's the players
            OG is our king

Comment

• You were actually paying attention while watching the games. It's a refreshing thing to see on this board.
              "You need your teammates to move otherwise there is no pass"

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              He had just 4.5 post ups per game on average.

It goes far beyond system and style of play. It is basic basketball principles and fundamentals. When you don't have the ball, you should be moving to create an angle to receive a pass. This isn't just about JV, this was a team issue. When one guy posts up, everyone else stayed in one place and watched.

I don't think many people pushing this have actually ever played in the post. There is definitely an ignorance to the nuances of the post game being displayed. People think catching the ball around the rim and laying it in is easy. No. No it isn't. You have to play the angles, react to the ball movement before it reaches its destination, seal-pin-hold your man THEN actually have teammates capable of making the pass before you can actually get the ball. Then once you get the ball, you need movement off it. It is much different than catching on wing foul line extended or top of key because you have 22+ feet to work with to the rim versus in the post you are working with a much smaller area. You need your teammates to move otherwise there is no pass. Even with a double team, 3 guys can easily guard 4 standing still.

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                There's nothing wrong with the system it's the players
                Yep. It was all Vasquez and Lou's fault - on both ends. That's why we got their guilty asses out of here in the off-season.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Wow! That's bad. I really wish Masai could see that Dwane just isn't a good HEAD coach. Assitant yes but head coach no.
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
                    You were actually paying attention while watching the games. It's a refreshing thing to see on this board.
                    "You need your teammates to move otherwise there is no pass"
                    Raptors lob passes into the post like a hand grenade. Throw and run or watch 30 ft out. The JV -> Ross inside-out is something Raptors didn't do enough

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Yep. It was all Vasquez and Lou's fault - on both ends. That's why we got their guilty asses out of here in the off-season.
                      LOL that's what everyone thinks but it's clearly Dwane and his stupid system. This is why I have little faith for our team this season. Even though we should be good, if this keeps up meaning the whole ISO game and minimal to no passing, we are going no where.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Casey did say that the team didn't have any passers.

I'm saddened by the fact that the pink sarcasm font is not required for that first sentence.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Casey did say that the team didn't have any passers.

I'm saddened by the fact that the pink sarcasm font is not required for that first sentence.
                          You on a smartphone? Font was "hot" pink. lol.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Raptors lob passes into the post like a hand grenade. Throw and run or watch 30 ft out. The JV -> Ross inside-out is something Raptors didn't do enough
                            This always bothered me because, on the rare opportunities that they got the chance to do this, they were really good.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• So I guess you can't criticize Jv since he's only a 23 year old centre who's average at worst at every faucet of his game...
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

You on a smartphone? Font was "hot" pink. lol.
                                I meant my first statement... that Casey actually did say that, as some excuse for his ISO-centric offensive approach.

Comment

Working...
                                X