Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
    Sabonis is the president of Lithuanian basketball federation. So probably no. But they do work out a little bit when Jonas joins Lithuania NT (for the last 2-3 summers). Arvydas Sabonis' son - Domantas is also on the roster. He plays for Gonzaga and is projected to be picked in the first round next year.

About Jonas' passing - he is the best player for Lithuania NT. Everyone is looking how to give him the ball and no one is expecting him to pass it back. As a low post scorer he's extremely efficient and is their go to guy. Same thing (even more) was when he played for youth teams. So I think he just never had the chance to develop his passing and it would improve if he was allowed to play through his mistakes. And if Raptors would run more PnR's Jonas would be scoring a shit load of points. It's frustrating to see how Casey chooses ISO plays instead of PnR.

Finally, probably my favorite pass by Sabas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZSuksGMJY8
    The p'n'r thing is frustrating....but our guards haven't been great at running it since Jose left. I don't know if that makes it more frustrating. Hopefully they at least work it in a little bit more. Hopefully they also work more big man offence in, since that would make the most of Scola too. And Scola can be a great mentor to help teach JV to read situations. Probably way better than Jamaal Magloire.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      The p'n'r thing is frustrating....but our guards haven't been great at running it since Jose left. I don't know if that makes it more frustrating. Hopefully they at least work it in a little bit more. Hopefully they also work more big man offence in, since that would make the most of Scola too. And Scola can be a great mentor to help teach JV to read situations. Probably way better than Jamaal Magloire.
      Yup, Scola is a good passer, has terrific low post moves. That man knows how to move the ball. Like CoJo, or Caroll. Unlike Lou or DD. But it shocked me the way Vasquez completely changed when he joined the Raptors. He was always known for his bad D, but never before he was a selfish chucker. I hope Casey's system won't ruin their playing mentality and that these new guys will be able to bring a different style of play.
      MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Yup, Scola is a good passer, has terrific low post moves. That man knows how to move the ball. Like CoJo, or Caroll. Unlike Lou or DD. But it shocked me the way Vasquez completely changed when he joined the Raptors. He was always known for his bad D, but never before he was a selfish chucker. I hope Casey's system won't ruin their playing mentality and that these new guys will be able to bring a different style of play.
        You do know DD lead our team in assists playoffs. With 6 a game. He also averaged 4 a game during the season with a good assist to turnover ratio. So no DD doesn't fall in JV's category.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          You do know DD lead our team in assists playoffs. With 6 a game. He also averaged 4 a game during the season with a good assist to turnover ratio. So no DD doesn't fall in JV's category.
          Yes, I do. Look at his shooting percentage and his shot selection. He's the definition of a selfish chucker. Low bball IQ shooting guard that can't shoot the three and is a below average defender, who's offense collapses once he's defended by a taller player and who constantly looks off his open team mates and takes a horrible contested mid range fade away jumpshot instead. No way he's a good passer. I know I'm going to be hated for this, but who cares.
          MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            He was comparing our guards to Scola actually. JV's name wasn't even in the post.

Scola has always been a very good passing big man, and a smart team player who willingly moves the ball to get his team higher quality shots. I think that's the thing Henry is saying you don't see from guys like Lou or DD.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              He was comparing our guards to Scola actually. JV's name wasn't even in the post.

Scola has always been a very good passing big man, and a smart team player who willingly moves the ball to get his team higher quality shots. I think that's the thing Henry is saying you don't see from guys like Lou or DD.
              Until teams start shutting JV down in the post - TO, low FG%, there really isn't a need to try forcing passes. It will happen but right now JV is getting open shots 0-3ft away

Comment

• JVs biggest issue is a lack of aggression finishing plays due to a lack of explosiveness and power.

Just under 7'
                7'4"/7'5" wingspan

He needs to dunk everything.

He misses bunnies, put backs, and hand/dump offs when he should be going hard to dunk everything.

That is a sign if a player who has always played versus smaller or less athletic players.

In the NBA, he needs to put that extra effort in to dunk it all. If he did that he would probably up his FTA as well (which is already approaching elite as is).

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  JVs biggest issue is a lack of aggression finishing plays due to a lack of explosiveness and power.

Just under 7'
                  7'4"/7'5" wingspan

He misses bunnies, put backs, and hand/dump offs when he should be going hard to dunk everything.

That is a sign if a player who has always played versus smaller or less athletic players.

In the NBA, he needs to put that extra effort in to dunk it all. If he did that he would probably up his FTA as well (which is already approaching elite as is).
                  Couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how many times I've looked at the screen in disbelief, asking my TV why JV didn't just dunk the damn ball ..

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how many times I've looked at the screen in disbelief, asking my TV why JV didn't just dunk the damn ball ..

Hmmmm...pictured Joey with more hair.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      Hmmmm...pictured Joey with more hair.
                      My hair is really more like this:

...because I am Big Country

Edit: I guess only long time posters will get that one. LOL
                      Last edited by Joey; Thu Sep 17, 2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                        My hair is really more like this:

...because I am Big Country

Edit: I guess only long time posters will get that one. LOL
                        well then... you should change your avatar mate.

Comment

Sabonis is the president of Lithuanian basketball federation. So probably no. But they do work out a little bit when Jonas joins Lithuania NT (for the last 2-3 summers). Arvydas Sabonis' son - Domantas is also on the roster. He plays for Gonzaga and is projected to be picked in the first round next year.

About Jonas' passing - he is the best player for Lithuania NT. Everyone is looking how to give him the ball and no one is expecting him to pass it back. As a low post scorer he's extremely efficient and is their go to guy. Same thing (even more) was when he played for youth teams. So I think he just never had the chance to develop his passing and it would improve if he was allowed to play through his mistakes. And if Raptors would run more PnR's Jonas would be scoring a shit load of points. It's frustrating to see how Casey chooses ISO plays instead of PnR.

Finally, probably my favorite pass by Sabas:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZSuksGMJY8
                          I really wish Sabonis could have played in the NBA in his prime. He was like a gigantic Larry Bird.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            well then... you should change your avatar mate.

That WAS my avatar for the longest time. Haha I can't give up on General Ujiri though.

Comment

• I hope JV gets the Bosh treatment this year. Remember how much we forced the ball into Bosh's hands, and how much it payed off?

Now I expect JV to not handle it as well initially, but by seasons end he should be able to hand a USG% of 25+...and frankly he should have a USG% of 25+ this next season

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                JVs biggest issue is a lack of aggression finishing plays due to a lack of explosiveness and power.

Just under 7'
                                7'4"/7'5" wingspan

He could improve his ability to finish but he missed some shots because of a hand injury early in the season and unlike DeAndre or Howard, JV is usually ISO in the post. Not many players are dunking in ISO in the NBA and in the playoffs, never. This goes for all positions not just C.

Comment

Working...
                                X