Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    He could improve his ability to finish but he missed some shots because of a hand injury early in the season and unlike DeAndre or Howard, JV is usually ISO in the post. Not many players are dunking in ISO in the NBA and in the playoffs, never. This goes for all positions not just C.
    Howard had nearly the same amount of post ups in almost half the games played.

But I was not talking about post ups - bunnies, put backs, and hand/dump offs is my criticism.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Howard had nearly the same amount of post ups in almost half the games played.

But I was not talking about post ups - bunnies, put backs, and hand/dump offs is my criticism.
      Yeah, adopting a power mentality in those situations would be better. Fires up the crowd, decent chance for And1, and higher percentage shot.

I wonder if it is the Euro style (not a criticism). Euro players seem to dunk less than American players as Euro's go for the skilled play over the athletic play more often.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
        Yup, Scola is a good passer, has terrific low post moves. That man knows how to move the ball. Like CoJo, or Caroll. Unlike Lou or DD. But it shocked me the way Vasquez completely changed when he joined the Raptors. He was always known for his bad D, but never before he was a selfish chucker. I hope Casey's system won't ruin their playing mentality and that these new guys will be able to bring a different style of play.
        DeMar averages 4-5 assists per game and he doesn't know how to move the ball?
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

• FanSided (on SI) listed the top 25 players under 25 yrs old.

11. Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto Raptors

Position: Center

2014-15 Slash Line: .572/.000/.786

2014-15 Season Averages: 26.2 MPG, 12.0 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 1.2 BPG

Accolades: 2013 All-Rookie Second Team

Jonas Valanciunas is a minutes boost away from being one of the most respected centers in the NBA. His offensive efficiency is remarkable, and his defensive prowess is steadily improving.

At 23 years old, Valanciunas is on the cusp of becoming something special.

Valanciunas finished the 2014-15 NBA regular season at No. 2 in field goal percentage. He was also No. 13 in rebounds per 48 minutes, including a ranking of No. 9 amongst players who averaged at least 20.0 minutes per game.

Whether his per game averages show it or not, Valanciunas is a Top 10 rebounder.

According to NBA.com, Valanciunas limited opponents to 46.5 percent shooting when he met them at the rim. That mark ranked No. 16 in the association and No. 11 amongst players who were active for at least 50 games.

Valanciunas isn’t the most high-profile player in the NBA, but he’s progressively developing into an elite two-way center.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/09/16/nba...5-years-old/2/
          The list:
          1 Anthony Davis
          2 Kawhi Leonard
          3 Kyrie Irving
          4 Drummond
          5 Beal
          6 Favors
          7 Knight
          8 Oladipo
          9 Harris
          10 Gobert
          11 JV
          12 Thompson
          13 Kanter
          14 Wiggins
          15 Noel
          16 Middleton
          17 Barnes
          18 Giannis
          19 MCW
          20 Avery Bradley
          21 Waiters
          22 Terrence Jones
          23 Sullinger
          24 MKG
          25 Elfrid Payton

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
            DeMar has never averaged more than 4 assists per game in a season, last year he was at 3.5. For a guy who has the ball in his hands as much as he does he is not that impressive. JV still gets a pass (no pun intended) in my books.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

His playing mentality is based on selfish plays on the offensive end. And he averaged 3,6 assists in the 14-15 season. That's not that bad for a two guard/ wing. But his view towards the game itself is completely based on selfish ISO offense. Look at his shooting percentage - it's bad and it's a result of poor shot selection and decision making. He doesn't make his teammates better. He's not a superstar or a franchise player. Actually, no current Raptor is. One thing is to give the ball to Durant or Lebron, or Harden, or Curry who can score extremely well on ISO because it's almost impossible to guard them.

The coaching staff should acknowledge that and install a more versatile offense that wouldn't be based on a couple of players taking shot after shot on ISO plays. Look what happened in the playoffs. This static heavy ISO based offense was horrible. Part of this goes on Casey, part on DD, who is Raptors no. 1 scorer. Who also happens to be a very pro-ISO player. This type of offense suits him, because he gets to be "the man" but it all goes away once other teams have enough time to scout opponents and prepare for the match ups. When I watch Raptors games I count at least 4-6 times a game when DD chooses to take a contested mid range jumpshot or drive to the basket when there are two or three players on him instead of passing to an open guy. That's classic DD. I hate it. His usage rate is way too high.

To me, efficient offense is when a team moves the ball, players move without the ball, when players pass to the guy who's open regardless of his status in the team, when players are patient to find the best possible shot and when a team plays inside - outside offense. Defense should be guessing what's going to happen. Now it's just too easy and too predictable. DD is an ISO scorer and honestly, he has one of the lowest bball IQ's in the NBA. Along with D. Jordan, Jennings, Ellis... That kind of a player and that kind of a team will never be winners.

Finally, I would like to apologize for bringing this up in Valanciunas thread. If anyone would like to answer, I hope we can continue the discussion in another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                FanSided (on SI) listed the top 25 players under 25 yrs old.

Jonas Valanciunas is a minutes boost away from being one of the most respected centers in the NBA. His offensive efficiency is remarkable, and his defensive prowess is steadily improving.

Valanciunas finished the 2014-15 NBA regular season at No. 2 in field goal percentage. He was also No. 13 in rebounds per 48 minutes, including a ranking of No. 9 amongst players who averaged at least 20.0 minutes per game.

Whether his per game averages show it or not, Valanciunas is a Top 10 rebounder.

According to NBA.com, Valanciunas limited opponents to 46.5 percent shooting when he met them at the rim. That mark ranked No. 16 in the association and No. 11 amongst players who were active for at least 50 games.

Valanciunas isn’t the most high-profile player in the NBA, but he’s progressively developing into an elite two-way center.

The list:
                1 Anthony Davis
                2 Kawhi Leonard
                3 Kyrie Irving
                4 Drummond
                5 Beal
                6 Favors
                7 Knight
                8 Oladipo
                9 Harris
                10 Gobert
                11 JV
                12 Thompson
                13 Kanter
                14 Wiggins
                15 Noel
                16 Middleton
                17 Barnes
                18 Giannis
                19 MCW
                20 Avery Bradley
                21 Waiters
                22 Terrence Jones
                23 Sullinger
                24 MKG
                25 Elfrid Payton
                Wiggins will be a lot higher in a couple of years. Jonas should be top 10 at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  FanSided (on SI) listed the top 25 players under 25 yrs old.

The list:
                  1 Anthony Davis
                  2 Kawhi Leonard
                  3 Kyrie Irving
                  4 Drummond
                  5 Beal
                  6 Favors
                  7 Knight
                  8 Oladipo
                  9 Harris
                  10 Gobert
                  11 JV
                  12 Thompson
                  13 Kanter
                  14 Wiggins
                  15 Noel
                  16 Middleton
                  17 Barnes
                  18 Giannis
                  19 MCW
                  20 Avery Bradley
                  21 Waiters
                  22 Terrence Jones
                  23 Sullinger
                  24 MKG
                  25 Elfrid Payton
                  Is it just me, or is that list not particularly impressive overall?

I mean, MCW, Sullinger, Elfrid Payton? These are guys who are "top 25 under 25" in the NBA?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

I mean, MCW, Sullinger, Elfrid Payton? These are guys who are "top 25 under 25" in the NBA?
                    Yeah, not overwhelming.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

Sullinger can beast. Keeps weight in check he can be a real stud.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                        Sullinger can beast. Keeps weight in check he can be a real stud.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
                        Think he'll get minutes playing behind David Lee and Amir Johnson this season? The Celtics are the opposite of the Raptors in having so much depth at PF. They have Perry Jones and they drafted Jordan Mickey, too.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                          Think he'll get minutes playing behind David Lee and Amir Johnson this season? The Celtics are the opposite of the Raptors in having so much depth at PF. They have Perry Jones and they drafted Jordan Mickey, too.
                          Also Olynyk and Jerebko as well.

I suspect the Celtics will make an in season trade to alter some of their depth.

Perhaps Masai will make a call to see if Olynyk is available? Ross for Olynyk? Could work out for both teams. Olynyk could make Patterson expendable freeing up money for the KD chase.

Olynyk is a poor rebounder though (as bad as Patterson) and not a great defender... so we'd still need to upgrade that position sooner than later. But I'd do a deal like that.

Comment

Only in RR Lol
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                              I think you see Sullinger getting some starts.

Lee is pretty much nothing more than an expiring contract now, the Celtics need to improve upon their youth. We saw first hand what has happened with Amir, I love him, but he is on a steep decline. What those two guys bring is mentorship and tutilage to Olynik and Sullinger.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Also Olynyk and Jerebko as well.

I suspect the Celtics will make an in season trade to alter some of their depth.

Perhaps Masai will make a call to see if Olynyk is available? Ross for Olynyk? Could work out for both teams. Olynyk could make Patterson expendable freeing up money for the KD chase.

Olynyk is a poor rebounder though (as bad as Patterson) and not a great defender... so we'd still need to upgrade that position sooner than later. But I'd do a deal like that.
                                Also Tyler Zeller who had some big games for them down the stretch.

Comment

Working...
                                X