• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good read on how JV/PP is a terrible pairing

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...medium=twitter
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      This is an often missed point that is lost in the whole defense discussion. You can blue/down/ice side screen and roll but a big part of the issue for Toronto last year was the high screen and roll and the terrible effort/execution by the Raps perimeter people on the ball. You can scheme all you want but, whatever the cause, Toronto's perimeter guys were absolutely useless last year at providing any resistance at all to dribble penetration. In fact, forget the pick and roll - opposing guards were blowing by our boys on straight line drives without screens at all. That stuff has to stop or the scheme doesn't matter much.

Same with the ice/blue/down stuff. It's a solid tactic but it does create weaknesses off the ball and the players have to rotate quickly and close out effectively when the ball handler gives it up.

Again, scheme is important, but the actual players have to execute. The personnel is certainly better this year on the perimeter but we'll see if the commitment, focus and energy is there on a game-to-game basis throughout the season.
      But keeping with that thinking, you also have to consider the offensive scheme. Even Casey suggested that the ISO offensive system drained too much energy from the guards, so they conserved energy on the defensive end. So, it becomes a bit of chicken & egg. Yes, you need the players to execute the scheme, but you also have to have schemes that players can execute when viewed as a whole. If we end up reverting back to the guard ISO heavy offense, then there's already a built-in excuse for the guards to allow penetration.

Just my guess, but I suspect there were locker room issues challenging the viability of last season's schemes (e.g. JJ, Vasquez, 2Pat,..) with the the suggestion of more ball movement / equal opportunity offense as a potential solution.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Good read on how JV/PP is a terrible pairing

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...medium=twitter
        How they were a terrible pairing in limited minutes last year. With an average age of 24.5, I'll give this duo the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Still think Scola should start. I believe he eventually will.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Still think Scola should start. I believe he eventually will.
            Makes for an awfully young bench though, while clustering all our top scorers into the SL.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Makes for an awfully young bench though, while clustering all our top scorers into the SL.
              Our best rebounders as well
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Still think Scola should start. I believe he eventually will.
                Starting unit - not enough 3pt shooting & traffic jams under the basket (JV & Scola)

2nd unit - too much perimeter shooting (PP & Ross) & no inside presence

The only way Scola should start at PF, is if Ross is starting at SG over DeRozan. Both units need inside/outside balance.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Starting unit - not enough 3pt shooting & traffic jams under the basket (JV & Scola)

2nd unit - too much perimeter shooting (PP & Ross) & no inside presence

The only way Scola should start at PF, is if Ross is starting at SG over DeRozan. Both units need inside/outside balance.
                  We had the 4th best offense last year and started another PF that couldn't shoot 3s. At least with Scola you have to guard him out to 20 feet. Unlike Amir Johnson.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I think Scola could work fine in the starting lineup, he doesn't need to play that close to the basket that it would hinder JV. We could actually run the offense through him instead of JV since he's an established passer and JV is still a work in progress there. He could get JV easy buckets, hit the 20 footer, or hit an open guard for 3 or a drive.

I'm also cool with 2nd unit getting another 3pt shooter since CoJo and JJ aren't 3pt threats. Biyombo can clean up all the misses with his excellent offensive rebounding. It would be more balanced than you think.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      I think Scola could work fine in the starting lineup, he doesn't need to play that close to the basket that it would hinder JV. We could actually run the offense through him instead of JV since he's an established passer and JV is still a work in progress there. He could get JV easy buckets, hit the 20 footer, or hit an open guard for 3 or a drive.

I'm also cool with 2nd unit getting another 3pt shooter since CoJo and JJ aren't 3pt threats. Biyombo can clean up all the misses with his excellent offensive rebounding. It would be more balanced than you think.
                      I don't think Scola would have any problem starting or fitting with the starting lineup.

I definitely think the second unit would be better with Scola though. Cojo needs a structured offense to be efficient, and unless we implement something different from what we've done that isn't happening. Scola is going to provide Cojo with a smart pick and roll player who's going to let him play his game. Scola is also going to bring a little bit of savvy and discipline to a fairly young second line as well, and that should profit Tross, Biyombo and Cojo more than the starting lineup i think.

Comment

• we need to see if they pair well with a new offensive, defensive system. We do not have enough information with the current roster to make a decision
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• There is no reason to start scola right now.

He will take away from development that jv needs to make

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

We had the 4th best offense last year and started another PF that couldn't shoot 3s. At least with Scola you have to guard him out to 20 feet. Unlike Amir Johnson.
                            You do know that Amir shot over 40% from 3 last year, right? He didn't shoot many of them, but it was still 2.5X as many as Scola has EVER attempted.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              You do know that Amir shot over 40% from 3 last year, right? He didn't shoot many of them, but it was still 2.5X as many as Scola has EVER attempted.
                              Do you really think defense are more worried about AJ making a jumper over Scola?
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                                There is no reason to start scola right now.

He will take away from development that jv needs to make

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
                                Like how Bosh was stealing Bargnani's rebounds, so Bargs could never develop his rebounding skills?

Comment

Working...
                                X