No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com’s John Schuhmann gets you ready for the 2015-16 season with a key stat for each team in the league and shows you why it matters. Today, we look at the Toronto Raptors and an efficient scorer who saw relatively few touches.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/1...ts-the-chance/

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
      NBA.com’s John Schuhmann gets you ready for the 2015-16 season with a key stat for each team in the league and shows you why it matters. Today, we look at the Toronto Raptors and an efficient scorer who saw relatively few touches.

I think Casey needs to give that read.

#GiveJonasTouches

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        NBA.com’s John Schuhmann gets you ready for the 2015-16 season with a key stat for each team in the league and shows you why it matters. Today, we look at the Toronto Raptors and an efficient scorer who saw relatively few touches.

That was one of the emptiest articles I've ever read

Literally 3 tables and no interpretation.

Keep gettin dem checks John...

Still, JV was efficient and didn't get many touches

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          When throwing in points per shot and points per possession on post ups it is important to note JV does both exceptionally well - elite in fact.
          We can go even further. Apparently JV is the most efficient post-up player in the NBA.

To quote a Grantland article:
          The popularity of post play has dwindled across the NBA for good reason: It’s hard. Out of the 50 players with the most shot attempts from the post last season, only Jonas Valanciunas of the Raptors scored over a point per possession. Even polished bigs like Al Jefferson, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, and DeMarcus Cousins aren’t particularly efficient when operating with their back to the basket.

Comment

• Yep. I've been saying it for almost a year now - JV is indeed the most effective post up scorer in the league. Should have been pounding it inside to him a ton last year so he could develop his passing game and be that much better this year.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JV seems to be moving around the FT line area a lot. I like what he can do from there

Unfortunately when he is in those spots we just dump it for a Scola post up. This is going to be a problem, Casey leaning heavily on a vet who will break down after a month

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                JV seems to be moving around the FT line area a lot. I like what he can do from there

Unfortunately when he is in those spots we just dump it for a Scola post up. This is going to be a problem, Casey leaning heavily on a vet who will break down after a month
                Samething happened with Salmons before. Salmons played 20 mins per game even though he was terrible. Casey loves his vets even though he doesn't play JJ, someone who actually is good.

This is why people have been disappointed in JV. I blame it on Casey. JV has done well though with the amount of touches he gets.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Yep. I've been saying it for almost a year now - JV is indeed the most effective post up scorer in the league. Should have been pounding it inside to him a ton last year so he could develop his passing game and be that much better this year.
                  JV got most of points last year from put backs and dunks.

I swear people here needs to stop talking about him like he's Patrick Ewing. JV is still very raw and AWKWARD in the post. Not sure he knows what he;s doing to be honest. From what i've seen this preseason, he hasn't gotten any better. He's still the same JV of last year.

Only improvement that i see is, he doesn't post up near the 3pt line anymore. So that's progress i guess.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

I swear people here needs to stop talking about him like he's Patrick Ewing. JV is still very raw and AWKWARD in the post. Not sure he knows what he;s doing to be honest. From what i've seen this preseason, he hasn't gotten any better. He's still the same JV of last year.

Only improvement that i see is, he doesn't post up near the 3pt line anymore. So that's progress i guess.
                    Yeah he is awkward in the post, but still somehow effective. He averaged more points per possession in the post than guys like Al Jefferson, Aldridge, both Gasols, Cousins and so on last season, and on a higher FG% in the post than them as well. So no, he isn't Ewing, but still effective. Obviously he doesn't operate in the post as much as those guys though.
                    Last edited by A.I; Sat Oct 24, 2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• JV doesn't get lots of putback or dunks off of passes. His post game is ugly but effective. They don't give points for style. Eventually hell strart getting foul calls on ugly shots

Comment

• JV has about two post moves. Jump hook over left shoulder and turn around jump shot(like DD). Everything else he gets off rebounds and drive a dish. JV is really good finishing in the paint but, his not really dynamic low post scorer with all kinds of moves. The numbers say his an efficient finisher around the basket.

You have to ask yourself. If you had to get one bucket in a post up situation and your choices were Al Jefferson, Aldridge, both Gasol and Boogie. You guys are really telling that you guys would pick JV

You need to use context when it comes to that stat. You guys need to really watch the games and watch JV closely.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

He finished a full third of his possessions last year in the post - among the highest in the league (17th highest proportion of shots IIRC). Over 300 possessions, or about 4 per game. And was the most efficient player in the league in the post (except a couople guys with WAY fewer post possessions).
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            JV has about two post moves. Jump hook over left shoulder and turn around jump shot(like DD). Everything else he gets off rebounds and drive a dish. JV is really good finishing in the paint but, his not really dynamic low post scorer with all kinds of moves. The numbers say his an efficient finisher around the basket.

You have to ask yourself. If you had to get one bucket in a post up situation and your choices were Al Jefferson, Aldridge, both Gasol and Boogie. You guys are really telling that you guys would pick JV

You need to use context when it comes to that stat. You guys need to really watch the games and watch JV closely.
                            Ah, the implication being that we don't watch the games or watch JV closely? Classy. Next time try being a little more condescending.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              JV has about two post moves. Jump hook over left shoulder and turn around jump shot(like DD). Everything else he gets off rebounds and drive a dish. JV is really good finishing in the paint but, his not really dynamic low post scorer with all kinds of moves. The numbers say his an efficient finisher around the basket.

If you're not a good finisher, having a variety of post moves really isn't that helpful. So yeah, he may not have a lot of post moves, but he is effective, which matters most. If JV actually posted up as much as the other guys, his stats may go down though.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                He finished a full third of his possessions last year in the post - among the highest in the league (17th highest proportion of shots IIRC). Over 300 possessions, or about 4 per game. And was the most efficient player in the league in the post (except a couople guys with WAY fewer post possessions).
                                He also finished less than a quarter of his FGMs on putbacks, and roughly a 6th on dunks (which are spread out to different types of situations, including some probably in the post). Saying he got "most of his points on putbacks and dunks" is just an ignorant comment.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Oct 24, 2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X