No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe Jonas is way more efficient than Scola when it comes to old school back-to-the-basket game, but I have to agree with DD fanboys tho, Scola is better than Jonas in the post. His footwork is fun to watch.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      JV has about two post moves. Jump hook over left shoulder and turn around jump shot(like DD). Everything else he gets off rebounds and drive a dish. JV is really good finishing in the paint but, his not really dynamic low post scorer with all kinds of moves. The numbers say his an efficient finisher around the basket.

You have to ask yourself. If you had to get one bucket in a post up situation and your choices were Al Jefferson, Aldridge, both Gasol and Boogie. You guys are really telling that you guys would pick JV

You need to use context when it comes to that stat. You guys need to really watch the games and watch JV closely.
      Yea, he's kinda like demar. I mean, the only counter move he has when his drive is stopped is that ugly turnaround fadeaway, but it's really efficie......OH WAIT!
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        It's JV vs. Demar...you guys are just constantly antagonizing each other. Does anyone realize they are on the same team or what? Aren't you guys tired of this nonsense yet? Is there anything else to do where you guys are or what? It's crazy. Someone says something good about JV, and the Demar guys gotta come out against it. Someone says something good about Demar, and the anti-Demar guys gotta come out against it. It's like not a single fan can say anything good about either of these guys without someone piping in an attempt to tell them their opinions are bogus...grow up fools, you should be missionaries or something. None of you have anything useful to say, just the same old crap over and over, sweet jeebus just let it go already...bunch of trolls.

Once upon a time there was always something useful to read on this site, now it's just two factions preaching for supremacy and insulting each other. Maybe I've been here too long.
        Yes yes you're becoming cynical. Come to the dark side.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Do you guys think JV is a better post player than Scola?
          Scola had less possessions, a lower FG% and less points per possession than JV in the post, but Scola definitely has the higher bball IQ. So I'd say Jonas is the better finisher from the post, but Scola is the craftier one and has a better understanding of what to do in the post.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
            Yes yes you're becoming cynical. Come to the dark side.
            I think you have to be on the dark side just to be here in the first place...

Comment

• Ok, I guess I have to do this again. Just to be crystal clear, though, I'm only going to leave the essential words:

DanH wrote: View Post
              (Last year, JV) was the most efficient player in the league in the post (except a couple guys with WAY fewer post possessions).
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                Scola had less possessions, a lower FG% and less points per possession than JV in the post, but Scola definitely has the higher bball IQ. So I'd say Jonas is the better finisher from the post, but Scola is the craftier one and has a better understanding of what to do in the post.
                This! I'd say JV is a better finisher, but Scola is a better offensive player operating from the post. That comes with being a veteran. His offensive awareness is higher than JV.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  How is his game resembling to Ewing?! not even close.

I think the best JV can be is a Joakim Noah in his prime and I would be pretty happy if he is able to be that.
                  They're both 7 footers
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Yikes.

No comment.

JV is way too overrated on this board lol. Hilarious.
                    It's not overrating. It's you not getting my point. It was me saying if you're going to compare JV to any one of the greats to knock him down, Ewing is the worst choice. Ewing was not dominating with speed and grace in the post. He was an excellent finisher with a solid enough shot. He was physical and powered his way to his spots. Even his more explosive moves were often about going through his man rather than around, or using the power to knock his man off to clear space for a shot. He even wasn't a great passer.

Ewing was an elite big man in his day. His day was suited to that type of game though. Still, if Ewing were around today, you'd easily find a way to work him in as a major offensive piece. If we can even call JV a poor man's Ewing in a couple of years, that'd be great, and he has similar enough tools for that at least. He's an excellent finisher. He is physical down low. His shot isn't consistent, but it's not broken, so that something to watch. And Ewing was a decent shooter, but he was no sniper out there. He's not great defensively, but he's not as bad as some around here think, and most big men get better with age(this season he'll be the same age Ewing was as a rookie). He's still got lots of time to grow as a player. I mean if he can be a near elite scorer and rebounder (which he already is, but we need to see what he can do with more opportunity), and become a consistent above average or better defender, that's a pretty great player. Maybe not all time great, but still pretty great.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Oct 24, 2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Anyone know where Scola is ranked in that stat?
                      Anyone have an answer to this question?
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Try watching this one. Ewing's more decisive, but he was also a seasoned post player when he came into the league. But his game certainly wasn't very pretty. Some of these moves look downright awkward. He's not exactly dancing circles around guys in the post. He pulls out an impressive move here or there, but the biggest factor is decisiveness. Catching the ball and quickly going into your move before the D reacts, even if your move is a back down. And it doesn't hurt that in those days, players had way more space to operate one on one in the post. Their games don't look exactly alike, but there's more than a few plays here that already resemble JV's game in terms of tools used or area of the court being exploited. *And JV's learning on the fly, as the lack of a post game was the biggest hole in his scoring game coming into the league.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Oct 24, 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Dr. JV. Since the Doctor of Denial is gone. And since it fits 'Big Science' kind of
                          OG is our king

Comment

Anyone have an answer to this question?
                            Luis Scola's game has dropped off a cliff offensively. He's not the player he once was.

You wanna know who was ranked highly in PPP? Here's the list of players ranked below JV in order

Kevin Love
                            Donatas Motiejunas
                            Lamarcus Aldridge
                            Marc Gasol
                            Dirk Nowitzki
                            Blake Griffin
                            Brook Lopez
                            Al Jefferson
                            Zach Randolph
                            Joe Johnson
                            Markieff Morris
                            Pau Gasol
                            Dwyane Wade
                            Marcin Gortat
                            Nikola Vucevic
                            Greg Monroe
                            DeMarcus Cousins
                            Al Horford
                            Boris Diaw
                            Roy Hibbert
                            Anthony Davis
                            Andrew Wiggins
                            The corpse of Carlos Boozer
                            Kevin Seraphin
                            Tim Duncan
                            Derrick Favors
                            Nene
                            Andre Drummond

That's the whole page on nba.com

Even some of the more random names are very good post players, like Morris, or Diaw, or Wiggins (because of size/athleticism advantage at his position). So you really going to try and discredit a stat because Scola's in the twilight years of his career and had a bad season? I mean, no stat's perfect, but this one looks pretty good given what it's measuring.

Comment

• Along with his efficiency in the post he's a great finisher off the pick and roll too. The fact that the offense over the past few years has basically ignored his usefulness is annoying.
                              OG is our king

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Luis Scola's game has dropped off a cliff offensively. He's not the player he once was.

You wanna know who was ranked highly in PPP? Here's the list of players ranked below JV in order

Kevin Love
                                Donatas Motiejunas
                                Lamarcus Aldridge
                                Marc Gasol
                                Dirk Nowitzki
                                Blake Griffin
                                Brook Lopez
                                Al Jefferson
                                Zach Randolph
                                Joe Johnson
                                Markieff Morris
                                Pau Gasol
                                Dwyane Wade
                                Marcin Gortat
                                Nikola Vucevic
                                Greg Monroe
                                DeMarcus Cousins
                                Al Horford
                                Boris Diaw
                                Roy Hibbert
                                Anthony Davis
                                Andrew Wiggins
                                The corpse of Carlos Boozer
                                Kevin Seraphin
                                Tim Duncan
                                Derrick Favors
                                Nene
                                Andre Drummond

That's the whole page on nba.com

Even some of the more random names are very good post players, like Morris, or Diaw, or Wiggins (because of size/athleticism advantage at his position). So you really going to try and discredit a stat because Scola's in the twilight years of his career and had a bad season? I mean, no stat's perfect, but this one looks pretty good given what it's measuring.
                                Scola had a good season last year. It was his first season as a Pacer where he had a drop off. He actually out played West last year.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X